1998 Accord - P0420 - Cat?

Installing a non California converter will sole the problem as they do Not have a mandate to retro fit California approved Converters to 49 state cars AFAIK

JeffKeryk

HAHA. It works. It's cheap. You're free of course to spend hundreds more on a more complicated fix on a 25 year old beater if you wish.
It's not a beater; it's in great shape. I bought it new with my Dad; after he passed away I gave it to a single Mom. 135K now.
Unfortunately, years ago our Governator passed a law saying each cat had to be serialized (or something) and has a tag. Different cat for each engine. I think the V6 cat was about $350 and the 4 banger was closer to $500. I used to get universal cats welded in for $80. Am I happy about this? Heck no. But I believe in following the rules.
And I doubt that cheapo fix would pass a smog test, which is required every 2 years.

From what I've heard & read.....California inspectors actually do a visual inspection of the exhaust for "illegal" modifications.
Yes. On a bone stock Honda, you're [the owner] fine. Most of the inspection is under the hood anyway looking for plugged or bypassed vacuum lines & EGR. Even my highly modified foxbody didn't get a 'fine tooth comb' inspection & the cam went lopety-lope enough to turn heads.