1996 Lawn boy Silver Series 10202 - Carb kit ?

Old Lawn Boy 21 inch walk behind has been designated to shuffle off to the cottage after 25 years of faithful service at my house. The final straw was a failure to start event. About 1 month ago I had the same thing happen and solution was new NGK plug. This time not really certain the issue, but I thought that perhaps the primer was sending too much fuel? the plug looked very wet. Last time this happened I tested the spark with the new plug and it looked bright enough. Doubt it's the ignition module? but after 25 years it might be weak?

Who makes a good carb rebuild kit for this one? the research shows it has a Techumseh 4.5HP engine, it has always had premium fuel to avoid issues with ethanol wrecking the rubber components. Carb is Techumseh 632078.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

PS I got a new Troy Bilt 21 inch walk behind with the Honda 160cc engine for home, it cuts quite nice and the handle is better suited to my height than the old LB.

I’ve had good luck with the dead cheap Amazon carbs for tecumseh mowers. Less than 20 bucks and you don’t have to fuss with taking the carb apart and putting it back together.

Premium fuel can have just as much ethanol as regular. Most do. Puregas.org lists all the places you can get ethanol free gas in Canada.

I can't keep ignition coils on my lawnboy. Have you checked for spark?

One time I had a LB coil that would show spark but didn’t run. After eliminating all other possibilities I came back to suspect the coil. I popped the coil in the toaster oven for 10 minutes at a low heat and popped it back on and it ran great for years after. Even though I could see spark it must have been weak under compression or something.

Well yesterday I got the new ignition coil installed on the old Lawn Boy, One thing I did was a light sanding of the spark trigger laminations on the flywheel, just enough to remove the rust. I set the air gap using a business card. Then I cleaned up the 25 years of gunk built up on engine cover, re-assemble everything and it starts on the first pull !

Thanks for the suggestion to replace the original coil. Got the aftermarket from Amazon, because the OEM Tecumseh is no longer made.

Well yesterday I got the new ignition coil installed on the old Lawn Boy, One thing I did was a light sanding of the spark trigger laminations on the flywheel, just enough to remove the rust. I set the air gap using a business card. Then I cleaned up the 25 years of gunk built up on engine cover, re-assemble everything and it starts on the first pull !

Thanks for the suggestion to replace the original coil. Got the aftermarket from Amazon, because the OEM Tecumseh is no longer made.
Got a link for that? I might be interested.

Got a link for that? I might be interested.

This is the Canadian site, but I'm certain it came from Amazon USA. Hope it solves your problem.

Smaller Tecumseh engines rarely have ignition magneto failures (older large cast iron block Tecumseh engines are another matter). I stocked them but I don't think that I sold but one of them every 5 years. It can't be weak (unless the flywheel key is sheared), if it has ANY spark it is good. Generally speaking, if the engine was running OK the last time it was used, a Tecumseh engine no-start condition typically amounts to dirt/varnish plugging a carburetor jet or old/bad gas in it. If it is flooding you will need to replace the float, this is a common failure, otherwise they don't make (and you won't need) a carburetor kit. I never had to replace a Tecumseh carburetor unless it was corroded from getting water in it. Also, check the head bolt torque, they get loose and the engine will lose compression.
B&S engine magnetron ignition magnetos can and do fail. I sold a LOT of them.

Last edited:
Smaller Tecumseh engines rarely have ignition magneto failures (older large cast iron block Tecumseh engines are another matter). I stocked them but I don't think that I sold but one of them every 5 years. It can't be weak (unless the flywheel key is sheared), if it has ANY spark it is good. Generally speaking, if the engine was running OK the last time it was used, a Tecumseh engine no-start condition typically amounts to dirt/varnish plugging a carburetor jet or old/bad gas in it. If it is flooding you will need to replace the float, this is a common failure, otherwise they don't make (and you won't need) a carburetor kit. I never had to replace a Tecumseh carburetor unless it was corroded from getting water in it. Also, check the head bolt torque, they get loose and the engine will lose compression.
B&S engine magnetron ignition magnetos can and do fail. I sold a LOT of them.
What's the recommended head torque? Any specific pattern to follow?

What's the recommended head torque? Any specific pattern to follow?
techead.thumb.png.5f4c06aeb10cb4b1bfb02a931e196c44.png

I can't keep ignition coils on my lawnboy. Have you checked for spark?
Check the on/off switch to make sure it is working properly. With Lawn Boy ignition modules,never let the spark plug wire just hang when cranking the engine, connect it to another grounded spark plug or a test plug with grounding clip.

Check the on/off switch to make sure it is working properly. With Lawn Boy ignition modules,never let the spark plug wire just hang when cranking the engine, connect it to another grounded spark plug or a test plug with grounding clip.
Yep. Lawnboys that have the Lawnboy 2-cycle engine have a CD type ignition system. You can burn-out the ignition by cranking it without having a grounded spark plug or tester connected.

Back