1995 F-150 speedometer/odometer not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 F-150 5.0 with 4r70w transmission. Overdrive light is flashing on gear shift handle, odometer/speedometer isn't working and the cruise control won't work. I have replaced the speed sensor in the rear diff and the speed sensor at the transmission (on the drivers side by the neutral safety switch). There is no mechanical speedometer cable on this thing, and the odometer is digital. Only other plug I can find is on the passenger side of the transmission and is a big square white plug that is currently full of transmission fluid, which obviously doesn't seem right, but I do not know what this is called to look it up. Any ideas on where I should go next?

Truck is OBD I, but I pulled the codes from that and got a 452 "Vehicle speed sensor signal fault". Truck does have larger than stock rear tires, not sure if that could cause a speedometer to quit working completely.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It sounds like the VSS died. And the fault code pretty much confirms it.

But he said the sensor was repl, which likely leaves a wiring issue...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It sounds like the VSS died. And the fault code pretty much confirms it.

But he said the sensor was repl, which likely leaves a wiring issue...

Unless the sensor on the trans was defective, because, IIRC, it is the one that feeds the cluster.

Look up the truck on fordparts.com. There's probably a parts diagram for the transmission, or at least the external components of it, and you can probably identify the plug that is full of transmission fluid.

It's probably not the tires. That will cause the speedo/odo to read slightly off, but will not cause a flashing OD light in my experience. My Explorer flashed the OD light for a speed sensor temporarily after a deep muddy water crossing. It went away after whatever got wet dried out. Been through any mud lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back