1994 DAKOTA REVERT TO SEALED BEAMS-HOW HARD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HAVE A 1994 DAKOTA PU W/THE SMALL AERO 9004 BULB HEADLIGHTS. THE BASE UNIT CAME W/A VERY SMALL SEALED BEAM AND I'M WONDERING HOW DIFFICULT TO JUNKYARD THE PARTS (WHAT I NEED TO DO, AND PARTS NEEDED)AND CONVERT BACK TO SEALED BEAMS AND THEN PUT CIBIE REPLACEMENT UNITS IN IT. BOTH STYLES ARE VERY SMALL AND EXTREMELY POOR DESIGN CHOICES BY CHRYSLER.YOU WONDER WHY THEY FLOPPED!I LIKE GOOD LIGHTS AT NIGHT AND IF EASY TO CHANGE THIS WOULD BE THE BEST WAY. JUST WISH THE BIG SQUARE SEALED BEAMS WOULD FIT! THANKS!

Yeah I had a 91 with the square sealed beams. (And the k-car 4 cyl motor
lol.gif
) I would guess just get the "buckets", the things behind the headlights, including all the springs and adjuster things. You know the radiator support has got to be the same. If the main grille is different you might need that too, to look right, and that would cost lots extra because you can fix collisions with one.

Have them throw the bulbs and wiring pigtails in, just in case or to help with mockup.

That sounds like a lot of work, and switching to sealed beams might not always give you the result you need given the money spent.

A couple of questions:

1) Did you do this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2106546#Post2106546

2) What are you after, good distance driving lights or shorter cornering beams? You could supplement whatever is lacking with a decent set of aux lamps for less cost, and potentially much better results.

Last edited:
The 9004 bulb is terrible.

If you do get the sealed beams, look at a Cibie H4 conversion kit. Well, if they will fit.

cibie make a eplacement, as does bosch, hella (2 types) and an indian brand. that would be the plan, as a regular sealed beam would not be worth the effort. anyone done this conversion? thanks!

A friend of mine did the Cibie H4 conversion on his Chevy S10. His lights were MUCH better after the horrible sealed beams. The beam pattern of the Cibie lights was superb. Lots of light below the very sharp cutoff.

I'd also get a headlight relay harness along with the new housings. You'll have to re-wire for the H4's anyhow. Might as well get a plug-and-play solution that will make ANY H4 bulb work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back