1994 Crown Vic 200k Castrol GTX 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's grandparents passed down the Crown Vic for our son. Sorry about the bad pic in the oil fill. Seems to be nice and clean in there, has always used that oil with 3-4k oci since 20k. I might switch to a HM oil it I feel guilty with the long history on one oil type.

Why feel guilty about one oil used for so long?? It has very well on it. What you can see from the first picture it looks very good. My lady got her grandmother's 98 Camry which had 66k miles on it. It has been very, very good. Just like this car will be too.

I'll have to agree with the Captain
smile.gif

Nice ride!! Panther platforms were some of the best cars made. Are you adding oil in between OCI's? If no, no need to switch to hm. Keep doing what you're doing. SuperTech is some good stuff at a very affordable price at walmart. May want to check that out.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
How your Caprice running gallydif? Haven't seen any updates in a while. Hope the engines getting clean
smile.gif

well I have't looked inside the engine again but I'd assume it's getting clean. Did 1k OCI's for the first 4k, now it's on its first 2k OCI. Oil still comes out black as sut when I drain it. Have't done any engine flushes or additives. Looking into Lc20 if I do decide to do something. Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
Stick with GTX. It looks spotless through the oil fill hole. Look in the uoa section for my recent GTX uoa. I'd rank it as one of the,if not the best conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Stick with GTX. It looks spotless through the oil fill hole. Look in the uoa section for my recent GTX uoa. I'd rank it as one of the,if not the best conventional oil.
+1

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Are you adding oil in between OCI's? If no, no need to switch to high mileage

Agreed +1

Looks good for the age! I'd stick with the GTX, but it doesn't matter-it will run on pretty much anything!

Because of the police using CV's there should be no problem getting parts and finding an independent mechanic that knows and likes the brand.

I have put a lot of miles on CV's from the 90's up the the last ones made. They are a sturdy predictable handling car. There are police departments that are refurbishing them to keep then active in their motor pool's instead of getting rid of them. Many cops lament the fact that Ford stop building them.

One thing that you should do is change the diff fluid. It often gets over looked and even paying for the most expensive diff fluid won't hurt and you won't have to do it again for a long time. Police departments that get rid of CV's after 100K or so never change the diff fluid and don't have problems. You might consider doing it and pour the fluid through some kind of filter paper to see what you find.

Thanks for the comments. I think I will stick with Castrol but might go the HM, it has a slow leak somewhere on the driver's side. The rear diff was done at 155k so it's due but not neglected. I have every part and repair receipt in addition to every service record since 20k. It has an intermittent tranny shift issue that I will take it in for but all the other little items I'll do at home with my son. I'm looking forward to it!

If you are in search for mechanics in your area, talk to cabbies. You'll be amazed by the sheer number of funny shops that cater to them: Mexicans, Russians, Turks, Colombians - all super skilled and beyond affordable in my area.. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
+1

+2

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Skip the HM I say. Change the PCV valve, if it hasn't been changed already, and keep truckin'.
thumbsup2.gif

Agreed.

Don't skimp on the PCV valve - quality in this part is more important than many realize.
If I get a GOOD one I usually just clean it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back