1992 Chevy Corsica......thoughts?

Me and my siblings grew up with a 92 Corsica LT w/3.1V6 - my folks were not of the best means and could not afford a minivan at the time so family trips were the 4 kids stuffed in the back seat and parents up front. Maroon exterior with maroon interior.

Honestly my parents to the day still talk about how much of a tank that car was and we all have very fond memories of it. My mom mainly drove it for about the first 150k miles, my stepdad then took it over for another 50-60k, then my newly licensed sister took it over for another 40-50k and it was then handed down to my newly licensed stepbrother for another 40-50k. They sold it to someone in town with close to 300k miles on it and they said they still saw it roaming around for a good 2 years after that - it was easy to spot because of the 6' tall CB antenna mounted to the trunk.

I don't remember them having any major issues with it. I would help my stepdad wrench on it for routine maintenance and don't recall anything crazy outside of oil changes, brakes, spark plugs and wires. They probably did the shocks and struts twice. I know it had some cooling issues later in life prob north of 200k miles where it ran hot - IIRC that was the radiator and heater core clogging - they never changed the coolant so go figure.

Like someone above said the 3.1 even with just a 3 speed auto it was pretty dang quick.

I detailed hundreds of these back in the day. The 3.1 needed a coin in the throttle to stay running after degreasing the engine, and the 2.2 needed the engine running during degreasing since the dist cap was upside down. They felt like death traps, but the power and ride was pretty decent.

My buddies dad back in the day had a 1998 Pontiac Tempest, 2.8 v-6 auto.
It was his company car, then became a family car that got beat on by teen drivers. It went well over 200k miles without any real engine or trans issues. Interior pieces and electronic had issues, but main car was solid as a rock.

Not worth a ton, but I had a number of friends with GM cars from that era (especially the 3.1, IIRC) that lived well past 200k.

My brother had one, similar vintage purchased new I believe. He had a southern shade tree old time mechanic that kept it going for about 300,000 miles. Things broke and they were replaced as inexpensively as possible.

I would think every seal on it would leak like a ... something that leaks a lot.

Reactions: JC1
Back