1992 Chevy Corsica......thoughts?

I'm going to help a friend look at a the car in the title, tomorrow night. It is a CL find; apparently it's a one-owner, estate sale car. Looks pretty flawless, only 67k on it.

What issues should I be looking for on this that could lead to trouble more quickly than not, outside of stuff I can visually confirm like brakes, rubber all around, etc.

I remember these being fairly reliable as a kid/teenager.

There were not any real issues I remember from that era, apart from the fact a lot of little things like to break on them. Another one of GMs early 90s very dependable as long as you don’t need pesky things like the radio or horn to work.... 😉 ( I say this with love knowing I had a few early 90s J bodies)

I think the engines were the 2.2 and the 2.8 (maybe 3.1). Chances hopefully were that it was cared for. Probably just update the heck out of it, and drive it......

I remember those and the 2 door version, the Beretta when I was growing up.
It seemed like they sure went to the salvage yards quicker than many other vehicles of the same era. I'm guessing they were not as reliable
as some people might seem to think.

If he can get it at a cheap price and with them low miles on it -- run with it all day. The 2.2L and 3.1L options were reliable engines. My Grandmother had a 90 Cavalier 2 door with the 2.2 auto and that car ran great. I would just change all the plugs/cap/rotor/wires/run acouple back to back doses of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and drive on.

Last edited:
I had one of those and it was one of the most dependable cars I owned. Racked up over 110,000 miles on it. Finally got rid of it after about 10 years as the head gaskets needed replaced (leaking coolant). No big deal but I did not want to put the money into it .

I'd be worried about rot underneath. Not saying this model was known for it, but after 38 years, any exposure to salt might have done it in.

After that, just the typical dried out seals and gaskets. Might turn into a leaker in short order. But for the right price... Might even be "enjoyable", a blast from the (recent) past.

Remember that you'll need a Letter of Testamentary to accompany the title and bill of sale when you attempt to transfer the title. The guy selling it should've gotten one when he probated the will (or the estate of the intestate, whichever the case). Hope it's a 3.1. Those cars were hilariously fast. Enjoy!

A 28 year old Chevy Corsica is not what I picture when i think of dependability. No matter how much it's been babied.

You couldn't pay me to take this vehicle if I was required to depend on it for transportation.
There are probably 18 reasons (or more) why this is a bad idea.

We'll start with old electronics, old rubber/plastic bits, parts availability, rust potential, safety in an accident....... You get the idea.

Help your friend buy a 10 year old car with 150k on it.

whoa boy. I grew up in a GM town and everyone had one of these in the 90s. they all had rust / paint issues.

the ride was terrible and everything rattled. I can only imagine how bad the suspension is after almost 30 years.

there has to be something better out there.

My brother had a 1991 with the 3.1 V6 , car was a tank, he tried to kill it and it wouldn't die.

He side swiped poles and ran the brakes down to the rotor fins , don't know how it was stopping.

We ended up selling it to some friends of ours and they drove it for a while , last saw it with 265k miles on it about 10 yrs ago.

My Parents has bought a 93 Corsica new, water leak in the trunk from day one, once the dealer adjusted it to get it stop the leaking the left front edge of the trunklid was always to far foward and low, it no longer leaked however it now hit the trim weatherstripping for the rear window.

The AC made it 3 years and needed the evap core replaced, I seem to remember a water leak from firewall, though right now im not remembering what that was.

It was an ok car, quick for its time. It had the earlier 3.1l that did not have the lower intake gasket issues. Had to unplug TCC solenoid because of it sticking and stalling vehicle, common issue.

In the end they had it 22 years, it was getting very rusty underneath and sold it to a friends daughter who ran it 6 months and wrecked it.

I still have a soft spot for the Beretta/Corsicas They were ok cars that looked awsome in thier day and aged well style wise IMHO. It was an average car.

Just curious, how much were they asking for it?

Wife had one for her 2nd car, and the one when she met me. She had the 3.1, I had the 3.3 in my cutlass ciera. We took the same PF47 oil filter. She changed her oil the day before we met and was so proud. :love:

It was a great car. Leaked oil from everywhere but we were able to stay on top of it. Ran like a raped ape.

Front struts were shot, but, you know, they're a part you can buy and change out. Not many have been known to do this to these cars.

It had an RPO code that basically decoded to "AVIS special equipment package". Had the non BC/CC fleet white paint, which fell off here and there.

whoa boy. I grew up in a GM town and everyone had one of these in the 90s. they all had rust / paint issues.

the ride was terrible and everything rattled. I can only imagine how bad the suspension is after almost 30 years.

there has to be something better out there.
You forgot the constantly failing power window parts.

Back