1991 Honda Civic Si (1.6L) Coolant/Antifreeze recommendation

Own a 1991 Honda Civic Si (1.6L).

What is the recommended type of coolant/antifreeze for my Honda.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Reason I ask is because back in the day we always used any coolant that was green for Hondas and now I mostly see blue color coolant/antifreeze. Just wondering if blue coolant/antifreeze is appropriate for the older Hondas.

1991 is old enough to be IAT green originally, at least my '89 & '90 Civics were. The new Peak 10X is showing promise in Asian/Honda applications, it has been working quite well in my brother's beater '01 Accord 2.3. Cheap, available lots of places, often on sale with a rebate, that's what I would use (& eventually my aging Toyota fleet is going that way too).

Reason I ask is because back in the day we always used any coolant that was green for Hondas and now I mostly see blue color coolant/antifreeze. Just wondering if blue coolant/antifreeze is appropriate for the older Hondas.

The blue coolants seem to say Honda 90 and up, so the blue Type II is probably backwards-compatible
:unsure:

eg8xlo40gsmm7vwcpa2w.jpg

As an apparent dissenter I vote for Honda Type II. I’ve used it in my old Honda for over two decades and it’s kept the system pretty much pristine inside. Perhaps another coolant would do just as well but this is my experience. $18 a gallon at my dealer for the pre-mix which doesn’t seem excessive to me.

Ended up purchasing 2 gallons of the Type 2 Coolant/Antifreeze.

While trying to start the car for the first time since I installed the new head, I discovered fuel leaking out of 2 injectors. Now I have to figure that one out.

What about 2012 Honda Fit or 2002 Honda Accord. I think the coolant is blue. I always used Honda coolant but I figure if there is an equivalent, I may as well investigate if it is a lot less. By the way, I approach this with the assumption that Honda makes engines and tramissions while many other components are made by third-party vendors. For example, we don't all use Honda motor oil. For complex system such as AT, I do use Honda ATF religiously as it is about the same cost as Mobil 1 ATF.

Also, would you order from HondaPartNow. They have it for $16 before taxes and fees. Amazon lists it for $29 but shipping maybe included for Prime members.

Thank you guys.

Last edited:
Back