1991 honda accord muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in upstate New York having a muffler rot and fall off is fairly common. I'm a little short on funds right now, but how much would you estimate to have a shop (such as Monro muffler) put a new muffler on my car? I still have the muffler that was on there but it rusted through right where the muffler begins. It didn't actually fall off. I pulled it off the hangars, but it disconnected from the rest of the tubing. From the looks of how rusty the muffler is I don't think it can be welded back on. I don't need anything high performance just a regular muffler reattached to the rest of the exhaust, which from the looks of it is fine. I'm still driving fine, but the noise is getting annoying.

Be very careful.
Carbon monoxide can build up inside your vehicle if your exhaust does not vent out from UNDERNEATH your vehicle.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is sneaky and can be cumulative taking days or weeks to build up in your system before you realize something is wrong.

Kids and Infants are more susceptible to poisoning than adults. You can think they are in the back seat sleeping when in reality they have stopped breathing due to the build up of carbon monoxide in their blood.
Even though it is a low level for you it is a lethal dose to kids.

Be very careful and get this fixed ASAP, even if you get a straight pipe it is better than the alternative.

I have also thought about that occurring, and it does worry me. However, I rarely have passengers in my car so no one else is in danger. The exhaust system currently doesn't end until where the rear axle would be if this was not a front wheel drive car. That's my only rationalization for not doing anything about the potential risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. I believe the exhaust still ends at a safe enough distance to the rear of the car.

I replaced the muffler on my Accord about a year ago. It's super easy to do yourself. See if you can unbolt what's left of the pipe. If you can get those rusty bolts off of there, you're home free. The part alone costs anywhere between $95 and $160, depending on the quality.

remove the axleback and put in a generic one. its held on by 2 bolts and hangers. Get a gasket too

Spray tons of penetrating oil on the bolts and use an impact gun if possible. its probably super rusted that it might need a torch to get the bolts loose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back