1989 Snapper I-522 5hp Tecumseh engine troubles

My trusty snow thrower has never missed a beat til recently, seems it gets hot and begins to miss then dies til it cools off, this after running perfect for 10min. I messed around with the spark plug and wire and that helped but didn't stop the aforementioned..replaced the coil, same result. Guy I know say's the head gasket but I don't see any oil leaking, burning or hear weird noises coming from the head.. basically again runs great then it gets up to temp then mis fires and stops til it cools, any ideas?

I was going to suggest coil, but you did that, new spark plug with it?

Wondering if the keyway is starting to shear.

#1 replaced plug, #2 replaced coil, #3 ? runs and sounds perfect til it's up on temp.

Could be running lean. That's what happened to my 5hp Tecumseh in my Craftsman snowblower.

Another problem is I can't find a engine model number anywhere other than Tecumseh 5hp.. have no spec info. spose I could compression test it if I knew what to expect.

Mine was doing the exact same thing. I played with the mixture screw a bit and it ran better. I think it was a carb issue, but I didn't end up rebuilding the carb.

I ended up buying a new motor for $120 and changing the whole thing out.

I watched a video where the guy said those motors can have a exhaust valve go out of adjustment. The "fix" was to pull the head, and try to spin both valves on the compression stroke. They shouldn't be able to spin using just your thumb. If one turns easy, he removed that valve and ground the top of the stem down to 6 thou I believe, along with lapping the valve seat. If you can put air in the cyl and hear air escaping either thru the carb or the muffler, and it gets worse when up to operating temp, I would try looking at that as the fault.,,

Could be running lean. That's what happened to my 5hp Tecumseh in my Craftsman snowblower.
Might be an issue with valve clearances if your engine is 4 cycle..

+1 to both of these.

It could be running on the lean side, and starves for fuel once it warms up. I've also seen quite a few Tecumseh flatheads that need a bit of grinding on the bottom of the valves once they age as the valves won't seat, especially when hot.

is the lean/rich screw on the bottom of the bowl? unscrew for richer?
it depends if you have an adjustable carb or not...that nut may be the combo bowl nut / main jet and unscrewing will just drain your float bowl!

it depends if you have an adjustable carb or not...that nut may be the combo bowl nut / main jet and unscrewing will just drain your float bowl!
has a nut with a spring loaded slotted screw.

Another problem is I can't find a engine model number anywhere other than Tecumseh 5hp.. have no spec info. spose I could compression test it if I knew what to expect.
The engine model/serial number should be stamped in the metal housing right above the spark plug. If not there, it may be along the side of the housing.

L8R,
Matt

Found it! Tecumseh HS50..not much luck with the screw on the bowl, can't keep it running so I ordered a head gasket.

Found it! Tecumseh HS50..not much luck with the screw on the bowl, can't keep it running so I ordered a head gasket.
Don't be disapointed if that doesn't fix your problem. Head gasket symptoms show up more when the engine is cold. When the engine is hot, metals expand and tend to help seal a leaky head gasket. I can tell you from experience, the new head gaskets are junk compared to the way the originals are made. You will see when you get them side by side.

Back