1987 toyota 4runner 22RE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 1987 toyota 4runner 4 cylinder 22RE auto tranny with less than 50,000 miles on it. I think that the previous owner just had it sit in the garage for the past twenty years or so. The truck runs really well. no squeaks what so ever for its year. I have been warned against using synthetic motor oil for its tendency to leak out in old engines. I put synthetic right after I got the car as I put synthetic in all other cars that I own. The manual shows a wide range of viscosity chart from 10w30 to 5w-40 to 15w40 to something like that. It currently has 10w30 valvoline synthetic. Should I drop synthetic? Also, should go to higher viscosity for better protection?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
That engine will run on anything. 10w-30, syn or not, is fine. I used to run 15w-40 in the desert heat. 22RE engines do not have a tendency to leak.

15w-40 what brand?
how many did you get from that engine?

Your using one of those oils that is really just a super hydro cracked dino oil.A group 3. I have put full real honest to goodness extended oci synthetic in a older high mileage Chevy 305 and drove it from 67k to 253k on 20k OCI with out issue.Bet you wont have a issue with that Forerunner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LOLVO
Originally Posted By: tom slick
That engine will run on anything. 10w-30, syn or not, is fine. I used to run 15w-40 in the desert heat. 22RE engines do not have a tendency to leak.

15w-40 what brand?
how many did you get from that engine?

I ran Delo 15w-40.

The engine ran 250,000 miles on whatever oil and filter was on sale by the previous owner. I rebuilt it because I had the time and money. I sold it at 100,000 miles later and it ran perfect and passed smog inspections.

I had a 80 pickup and for some strange reason, back in the old days, I only used 20w-50
33.gif
Silly me, the engine only lasted 520,000 miles.
The truck I have now is an 84 (in storage for 23 years) 65k on the clock it gets
15w-40 in the summer, 5w-30 in the winter.
Watch out for the broken timing chain guide rails!

Great engine.....In 1990 my Dad drove his 87 4Runner from Miami to Nicaragua. 1992 I took it on a road trip from Nicaragua to Panama and back to Nicaragua with no problems. In the end, we racked up over 250,000 before we sold it. Whatever oil....that thing ran forever!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: expat
I had a 80 pickup and for some strange reason, back in the old days, I only used 20w-50
33.gif
Silly me, the engine only lasted 520,000 miles.
The truck I have now is an 84 (in storage for 23 years) 65k on the clock it gets
15w-40 in the summer, 5w-30 in the winter.
Watch out for the broken timing chain guide rails!

Are you saying it only lasted due to using 20w-50 only? Do you think it could have lasted longer with higher mileage with different viscosity?
Could you be more specific about timing chain guide rails? and how serious this is?

thanks,
LOLVO

the squirel powerplant will last forever on any oil. Not picky. The Timing chain guides are plastic and can break requiring a replacement Once replaced they tend to last a very long time.

I now believe I was using the WRONG weight oil, but it still had little effect on the long life of the engine.
Timing chain guide rails are the weak link in an otherwise almost indestructible engine.
They break (at about 100k) and the chain wears into the water pump housing
Google '22r timing chain' and you will get the full story. Fortunately you can now get Steel backed chain rails that solve the problem.
An easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back