Need Reccomendation.....OLD Toyota w/22RE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm missing the point on the ZDDP. I thought flat tappet cams, high performance or not, need higher ZDDP than what is currently in oils today.

We all know ZDDP has gone down over the years. I just figured finding an oil with the most reasonably possible would be good for my old engine.

Anyone have a VOA of some premium 70's or 80's oil? I'd love to see how it stacks up to todays oils.

The need of ZDDP in such engines is exaggerated, as is the amount of ZDDP in oils of yesteryear. There should be a thread somewhere in the VOA section showing Blackstone's tests of some vintage oils. Some were high, but plenty were lower than what's available now, even.

Originally Posted By: AdmiralYoda
I basically want an oil like Redline 10W-40 with some of the high mileage benefits but without the pricetag.

Again, Mobil 1 High Mileage in the 10W-40 flavor is exactly what you're looking for. ~$5 a quart at WM when purchased in the large jugs.

Yeah...I suppose you guys are right. As an engineer I tend you way over think the simplest things. I'll admit I'm a newb at oil science but I still get a kick out of it.

Looking at the VOA's for M1 HM, I would think there would be more calcium and magnesium in the -30 oils for more detergency. The 10W-40 seems to be the rockstar out of the bunch with 3000ppm calcium!

Well maybe...here is a VOA of the M1 HM 10W-40 showing 3000ppm of Calcium in 2010.
VOA - M1HM - 10W-40, 2010

Here is another of the same weight oil in 2011 showing much less Calcium and Boron in 2011.
VOA - M1HM - 10W-40, 2011

Anyone notice the 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 M1 HM oils are only API SL approved?

The 10W-40 is API SN approved.

Probably doesn't matter since my 1985 22RE can trace its roots to the 20R designed in 1975 when cutting edge oil was API SE.

Last edited:
The 5w-20 to 10w-30 M1 HM oils have too much phosphorous for the SN limits for those grades, whereas it's not an issue for the 40 grade. Interestingly, we don't get M1 HM up here, but Mobil Super 2000 (the HM we do get) is SN/GF-5, and no silly thick stuff is available, either.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back