1979 Trans Am SE With 110 Original Miles

Love it. Always wanted one. So funny to see 220 HP at 4,000 RPM with 320 lb-ft of torque at 2,800 RPM on such a huge engine. How far we've come.

^^^RIGHT?
When is comes to the 60's & 70's muscle cars(forget the 80s) that had/have some real power & torque, there is no comparison to todays vehicles. Todays vehicles are just so much more powerful for the everyday muscle car, not just the special vehicles. You know, that 1 of 1000 made?

Getting back to the 1980s, it's the middle to late 80s where we started coming back to some real power again but still not like today.
Just look at pickup trucks today. We can get soooo much better trucks than ever before.

Exactly! 6L or 6.2L engines today are pushing ~500 or more HP and GOBS of TORQUE. I mean just GOBS. All while meeting emissions and well, some form of fuel economy. :unsure:

Why can't the get the body parts to line up. If you look at the hood it looks horrible, one side sitting higher than the other as well as the trunk spoiler, even the doors appear to be off with huge gaps between the doors and fenders. It just looks poorly assembled to me.

Why can't the get the body parts to line up. If you look at the hood it looks horrible, one side sitting higher than the other as well as the trunk spoiler, even the doors appear to be off with huge gaps between the doors and fenders. It just looks poorly assembled to me.
That was typical "F" body build quality. With the roof structure cut away the whole body can flex and play havoc with the panel and door gaps.

When the factory T top cars came out many conventional tow truck operators would not tow them using a "sling and hoist" set up. If you picked them up the wrong way the roof would kink right above where the quarter panel was seamed. Before the factory T tops there was some after market providers that offered the option. American Sunroof was one that I remember and the difference was the seal was under the glass of the top itself vs. the factory hatch type with the seals on the side of the hatch top.

There were many F bodies that were totaled by insurance companies when the bodies would kink from hard rear end collisions. Some companies also offered aftermarket subframe connectors, but the body twist problem was never really solved. My girlfriend at the time worked as a cashier at a drive through car wash and she would give drivers of T Top cars a big cotton towel before they entered the wash tunnel in the case the tops leaked during the wash process.....LOL.

I had an 80 Firebird that I bought from a used car lot for 100 dollars because it didn't run. It was a 301. I immediately removed it and installed a small chevy that I had on standby. 700R4 and a 355 posi ten bolt. Bought four 16"GTA rims from an 80's F body. Car was great. Drove it all over the East coast. Body was solid. I put all the T/A spoilers and stuff on it, blacked out the window trim.
Like Duffyjr said, the body gaps were awful. Car was stone cold reliable. I shoulda never sold it.

Hmm

I’m sure 70’s plastic nose cone is not helping the panel fit, but yeah these cars were not to be held out as pinnacles of fit and finish.

If you find anything from Detroit muscle car era to probably 90s with perfect panel fit it is over restored.

A very long time ago my best friend's gf was given a 1980 Firebird Formula with T-Tops for graduation. Her dad would put Vaseline on the seals. They never leaked.
yeah, I've tried a few things but the seals on this car are original and in just too poor of shape. One day I will finally get around to replacing them all with new, probably when I finally get around to having it repainted. Not really a high priority though, its a driver car. My 94 is the racer and the one I have far more money into.

Better than a missing T-top as a friend recently was going home from work on the interstate and lost one out of his old school Camaro. He is mechanically minded and checks things like that, but I gather the latch failed and away it went. He was lucky in that it didn't cause any damage to other vehicles and he ended up finding 2 replacement sets for a great price locally.
He probably forgot to lock it. If you don't lock them they tend to vibrate loose and if you are going fast enough will come right off. Common problem on the 3rd and 4th gens with T tops.

There was/is a large group who consider these as slow and a piece of junk. What most who didnt live in that time dont realize is it was quick for the day and not many stock cars were faster. These cars handled and braked better than any of the 60 muscle cars which were downright scary. I had a 72 challenger as a first car then bought a 1978 Z28. I wold take the Z28 rubber bumpers and all 190hp:). My friend had a Trans Am and I believe it handled better than my Z28

I think that this generation of “F-Body(Camaro/Firebird) is a car that people love to hate.
I love mine because it’s mine but after owning these F-Body’s since 1974, I outgrew them >30+years ago.

Last edited:
That's typical American car quality of that era, which is why the Japanese car makers steamrolled over the American car industry back then, like Bambi meets Godzilla!

That's typical American car quality of that era, which is why the Japanese car makers steamrolled over the American car industry back then, like Bambi meets Godzilla!
One thing that most people conveniently forget is the Japanese makes of that era were also selling at or above sticker price (at least here in the midwest). This was due to most of the import dealers having to resort to inventory by allocation. There also wasn't much choice for options. Most of the Datsun's at the time didn't even come with radios. Those had to be installed later at the dealer and mark-up was tremendous.

Although these cars had more precise sheet metal alignment, they lacked proper rustproofing, and midwest winters were not kind to them. As a kid I remember seeing steel wheels from many of those manufacturers that were heavily rusted after just one winter. A guy I worked with bought a new Subaru BRAT in the fall of '79. It had chrome bumpers and they were rusting by the spring of 1980.

It's human nature for us to remember most of the pluses of past history, and conveniently dismiss or forget the minuses, but with the Japanese makes of that era there were plenty of minuses too.

That '79 is very nice example, WOW. I really like it and it's nice to see. Thanks for sharing. (y)
I've always wanted both, the FORMULA that I have and that Black & Tan T/A. Maybe one day.

Here is a recent photo of my '80 FORMULA(which I've shown recently) that has 48K miles and I purchased it brand new.

In the right color combo, they can look quite sinister. 👿
DAYUM, that's an AWESOME Firebird Formula. I can see the love you have for her in how well that paint looks and shines!
Can you please post pics of it from different angles, including the interior and engine bay?

Back