1974 GM seatbelt interlock system video

I had a couple of early 80s Ford Festiva that had the separate auto shoulder belts. I called them stranglers if you were caught unawares.
I had a '71 Nova and the shoulder belt was totally separate and it didn't retract - it was stowed up along the edge of the headliner in little clips and to put it on you had to remove it from the clips, buckle it across your torso and then (I think) cinch up the slack using the buckle. And then store it properly in the clips once you take it off. What a pain! I tend to think about 99% of them went pretty much unused.

I had a couple of early 80s Ford Festiva that had the separate auto shoulder belts. I called them stranglers if you were caught unawares.
They show no mercy at ATMs if you can't reach your cash, and pull the door handle while you're still hanging out the window. My Talon made an attempt on my life while getting cash.

Was he her father? Husband? The 70's were a confusing decade.
She's just a professional female model advertising the car company's product. Just a pretty face. That's the whole science behind advertising, beauty sells. GM was more than likely aiming at female buyers, showing the ease of using the newest features.

I remember seeing a reference to the underhood override switch in the shop manuals for our '75 Impala, but I don't recall actually seeing the thing under the hood so I'm guessing it was short-lived.
Up behind the brake booster, a small rectangular box with a rubber covered button IIRC.

Up behind the brake booster, a small rectangular box with a rubber covered button IIRC.
Yes that's how I remember mine. Something like this:

2012-05-04_002732_interlock.jpeg

Back