1972 C3 Corvette engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I need to know which engine oil (brand/viscosity) recommended to be used for an old 350 of my 72 Corvette. I live in the Gulf where the weather is hot. Can anyone help?

Supertech 10W30 in the 5 qt jugs. I prefer thick oils. Get the grade and viscosity recommended by GM It may be on a sticker under the hood somewhere.

Any 10W30 or 10W40 should be fine! IMHO, these engines will run perfect on either oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mohamed
Hello,
I need to know which engine oil (brand/viscosity) recommended to be used for an old 350 of my 72 Corvette. I live in the Gulf where the weather is hot. Can anyone help?
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Any 10W30 or 10W40 should be fine! IMHO, these engines will run perfect on either oil
smile.gif

What brands and grades of oils are available to you?

He's not going to be buying Supertech or Defy is Bahrain.

What do you have available in 10w-40 or 15w-40?

User Falcoln_LS is in Kuwait and claims sludgy dino 20w50 is prevalant.

I'd skip that in favor of imported, bottled, euro-sourced synthetics or whatever conventional 15w40-ish diesel oil the truckers use.

Unless the engine has been rebuilt, I'd stick with a dino oil. If you have any compromised seals that are currently being held shut with slugdge, a synthetic can cause it to start weeping. I learned this the hard way with a '78 Monza with a weak rear main seal.

To the OP, this engine will be fine on just about any make of 10 w 30, which is most likely available. If you buy cheap oil , you will be more inclined to change it.

Yup if this is a weekend driver and the oil's getting gas in it from puttering around, something cheap, changed annually, would be the ticket.

Thank you guys for the valuable posts.
In Bahrain, we have brands such as ACDelco, Shell, Havoline, Agip, Castrol and Mobil. I'm just confusing because some people here says 20w50 and other 10w30 would be good for my engine. The engine that I have is number matching and they told me it has been overhauled in 1996.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back