1971 Chevrolet Caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice with a recent acquisition.
The car has a 400 motor with 2 barrel carb. 65000 original miles
What oil should I put in the car?
Thanks in advance
George

Unbelievably original down to the hoses and clamps.
It was my grandfathers second car and I just took the car to get it ready to sell. I truly think the oil in the car has been in there for 10 years....

awesome car, have pictures???? Id put rotella T5 10w-30 in there. Be sure to get all the other fluids (brake too)!

I would go with the 15W40 - this thing called for 10W40 back in the day...and most 15W40s have the ZDDP (or equivalent) to help the lifters and cam survive...15W40 is relatively cheap, so you can stick to a 3,000 mile/annual OCI, which is what I would do with a 2 BBL...running on that old choke will cause some fuel dilution during warm up. Love that 400 Small block. My parent's '76 Impala had one - reliable, powerful engine.

Agree about the 400. It will light up the tires with all that torque!
I never used a 15W40. Do you think that would be best for this car?

Get those hoses & belts replaced ASAP! They were able to vote in 1989 (18 years old!) and THAT was 23 years ago!

Cheers!

Norm,
I agree. My grandmom recently passed, and the car was not driven for all this time. I drove it yesterday to my house to start the maintenance, and it runs really well! It really does drive and ride smoothly, like a big boat! lol!

If it isn't rusty, there are probably as many who would just as soon it be original down to the hoses etc... If it's rusty & a 4dr, it could be just a parts car...

Toss some 10W-40 in it and that old 400 will be happy, I had one briefly in a '70...

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Get those hoses & belts replaced ASAP! They were able to vote in 1989 (18 years old!) and THAT was 23 years ago!

Cheers!

LOL! Good line Norm!

Anyway, I'm another one voting for the 15w40 Shell Rotella for the same reasons above (ZDDP). The classic car club I belong to (which involves Pontiacs) is also advising the members that own the flat-tappet cars to use it.

And to the OP, it sounds like you have quite a car there! My good friend currently has a '72 Caprice Coupe with the 402 engine and my Dad's first new car was a 1973 Caprice Estate (I think it might have had the 454 as he towed a boat with it). My paternal grandfather also had a '71 full size Chevy wagon (think it was a Townsman). So I do have a soft spot for these cars (mainly the '73 to '75 models) and it appears that there are not as many surviving Caprices from this era as there are Impalas. Hope this car works out for you and that you have a good chance to enjoy it as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Agree about the 400. It will light up the tires with all that torque!
Too bad it's not a 70. 71 was the first year of the low compression engines. A 70 would chew that 400 up and spit it out.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
If it isn't rusty, there are probably as many who would just as soon it be original down to the hoses etc... If it's rusty & a 4dr, it could be just a parts car...

Toss some 10W-40 in it and that old 400 will be happy, I had one briefly in a '70...

I would agree with that. Original is great. My early 1980-1990 cars which are DDs all have original hoses and radiators.

Belts, brake hoses and fluids are another story...

I guess its what you get used to, but I prefer the 71's lines versus the 70. I am going to give the rotella a try.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
Now I need to find the best price on the oil

Try to avoid driving it anymore until you get the fluids and filters changed. Especially the oil filter and fuel filter as they may both be paper, and disintegrating as you drove it home.

Considering that you're going to sell the car there is no need to use a synthetic.
Unless the engine has known internal issues - knocking, ticking, etc noises, there is no need to use a 15w40.
I'd also be careful about using a high detergent oil, you don't want to loosen up any gunk at this point and create a problem that will just cost you money at the sale. Just use an average, name brand dino oil in a 10w40 and a very good filter to catch the bits of the old filter media that may have broken loose and are looking to clog an oil passageway in the engine.

I'd be concerned about safety equipment failing on an old car like that before I'd worry about belts and coolant hoses. It would be a shame for you or a potential buyer to wreck the car on a test drive before you get the cash for it.

How old are the tires ? What kind of tires are they ? Is there a date code on them ? Old tires love to pop on the highway in the summer. And you cannot reliably look at a tire and gage when it will let go. I'm just saying.

Same thing for the brakes. If you don't when the rubber brake hoses were replaced last, all three of them, then you're really taking a risk driving it. Think about the rear brake wheel cylinders, the steel brake lines, the master cylinder, etc. Just a minor failure will increase your braking distance when you least expect it.

Check the steering shaft coupling very carefully. That connects the steering wheel with the steering box. Same goes for the tie-rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, center link, ball joints, etc.

Has the rear axle oil been checked yet ?

Be safe.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back