1969 SS Camaro LT1 Motor will not turn

If you put the trans in neutral and it still won't spin something is wrong with the engine. Rust,valves stuck open etc.

A sbc won't normally hit the valves unless it has a big cam in it.

While I am a Mopar fanatic, I like and appreciate all classic cars, and there are cars from all of the big 3 that I would love to own.
That is my attitude. I love models from all the big 3 and even AMC. Owned lots of them but somehow never got my hands on a Mopar.
Far too late these days. They sell for "unobtanium prices" no matter year / shape or condition. There is all kind of haggle room with the other brands. My neighborhood mechanics called me over to the shop a few months back. They had a car in for a brake job they both said "we can't have this car here and work on it without calling Sammy to let him drool over it!" LOL Well, I raced over and my knees went weak as I looked up on the rack at a 1969 Road Runner in eye searing Rallye Green. The thing belonged in a museum and let me tell you the boys at the shop had the car frame resting on pieces of carpet each place the car made contact with the lift rack. I couldn't afford to buy the paint on that beauty. She looked like this 1970 one:

Attachments

• rallyegreen.jpg
    rallyegreen.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 12
Nice info on the Roadrunner. I had a red 340 Duster that I really liked. I also had a 340 Barracuda. I wouldn't mind a Hellcat. I like all the big 3 as well. What ever happened to the OP did he get the engine to turn over and run? Here is my old SS/RS Camaro I restored. My license plate said RARE69 because it had the endura front bumper, fold down seat, houndstooth interior, guard package and teakwood steering wheel just to mention a few items. No AC though.

Attachments

• jB%88i35TIuV+2vw47oCyQ.jpg
    jB%88i35TIuV+2vw47oCyQ.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 16
  • A11RLbVSQZ2LsaL9uaWw9A.jpg
    A11RLbVSQZ2LsaL9uaWw9A.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 16
Have fun with it! I'm kinda jealous, truth be told.
Above all, keep it as stock as possible. That is a great car!
Stock except the motor swapped out way back.

New GM fenders and quarters, painted run a bit then garaged for a few decades.

Either way, sitting that long, pull the plugs and shoot a little oil or marvel in there.

Nice info on the Roadrunner. I had a red 340 Duster that I really liked. I also had a 340 Barracuda. I wouldn't mind a Hellcat. I like all the big 3 as well. What ever happened to the OP did he get the engine to turn over and run? Here is my old SS/RS Camaro I restored. My license plate said RARE69 because it had the endura front bumper, fold down seat, houndstooth interior, guard package and teakwood steering wheel just to mention a few items. No AC though.
Like that paint. What color is that? Is that the 60s / 70s "Hugger Orange?" They look amazing in the sunlight.👍

Like that paint. What color is that? Is that the 60s / 70s "Hugger Orange?" They look amazing in the sunlight.👍
Yes the 69 Camaro shared the same color code as the 69 Poniac Judge believe it or not. It was hugger orange and on the Pontiac they called it carousel red. The Camaro I owned was original Hugger Orange and not a color change either. I loved that car especially with the R/S package with the hideaway headlights. Thanks for the kind words. Sammy you said you liked Mopars. I also had a red 71 340 Duster with the black 340 wedge hood, spoiler and 4:56 gears in the rear end. 13.75 quarter mile times all day long. Before the Duster I had a 67 Barracuda 273 and I put an almost new 340 engine in it out of a Dodge Demon. That car ran very stong too. I was t-boned and rolled the car and it was not my fault. I was just out of school at that time and only 19 years old.

Yes the 69 Camaro shared the same color code as the 69 Poniac Judge believe it or not. It was hugger orange and on the Pontiac they called it carousel red. The Camaro I owned was original Hugger Orange and not a color change either. I loved that car especially with the R/S package with the hideaway headlights. Thanks for the kind words. Sammy you said you liked Mopars. I also had a red 71 340 Duster with the black 340 wedge hood, spoiler and 4:56 gears in the rear end. 13.75 quarter mile times all day long. Before the Duster I had a 67 Barracuda 273 and I put an almost new 340 engine in it out of a Dodge Demon. That car ran very stong too. I was t-boned and rolled the car and it was not my fault. I was just out of school at that time and only 19 years old.
LOVE them all. What a great time it was growing up with all of that stuff going on and those cars available to any John Doe or young kid like us IF you could afford the insurance! We used to make a point to go to the Dodge/Plymouth dealerships after closing and walk the lots lusting over those new Chargers, Super Bees, Darts, Dusters and Demons. Too funny how many in the public condemned the chosen name "Demon!" ha ha ha.

sad that it sat + caused issues, looking for the answer to this mystery!! talked today at Mr Pizza to the owners son who mentioned dads 57 chev + they at least start it now + then BUT it needs to be run on the road + function all parts + last i seen it was a nice car + being a drop top its quite valuable $$$$$

Back