1969 SS Camaro LT1 Motor will not turn

Trying to get some ideas for my older brother on this car. All stock with a replaced 350 with a M21 behind it.

It has been garaged but not run for many decades. Life got in the way as he used to run it a few times a year.
It was not parked because of mechanical issues, he did have to replace the clutch as the previous unit seized to the flywheel from sitting.
He would like see about getting it going again. He has tried to spin the motor by hand but it only moves a few inches either direction.

Could it be the transmission interfering although I would guess he is trying to rotate the small block with the transmission in neutral.
If not the tranny will he just have to pull the motor and start disassembling to see?

Hoping to get some advise I can relay to him to possibly shorten his frustration. He has had the car since about 1980.

I would suppose this would be evident when pushing in the clutch.
He replace one years ago, not sure how many, is this a common occurrence on the flywheel?

He did mention that he had removed the driveshaft. Thanks!

Clutch disk rusted to the flywheel means that the clutch pedal would press down like normal, but the clutch doesn't actually disengage. However, having the transmission in neutral and/or driveshaft removed would still allow the engine to turn.

There could be water in one of the cylinders. Remove all the spark plugs and try to turn.

Not sure how water gets into an engine unless left outside etc.
This car has been garaged with the hood down. Sounds like an engine issue then?

He was a mechanic in his early years so I would guess he would have removed the plug to rotate.
Maybe some stuck valves or main bearings perhaps? This is deeper than my knowledge so please excuse any silly suggestions on my part. ;)

It was not parked because of mechanical issues, he did have to replace the clutch as the previous unit seized to the flywheel from sitting.

Was the clutch replaced because of the engine not turning by hand, or did the engine not turn after the clutch change?

^^THIS^^
Pull them apart (trans from engine). And, just to be safe remove the spark plugs and fill each cylinder with a little bit of oil prior to turning it over.
I would suppose pulling the 4 speed would be easier then pulling the motor.

Could the new clutch adhere to the flywheel by just sitting/not used for about 10 years?

Thank you for all of the comments, I just did not get a lot of details out of him.
I think it is a shame for the car to continue to just sit in the garage.

Check dip stick for signs of water in the oil. Could be hydro locked from sitting a long time. Some fluid is in one or more pistons. Could also be timing jumped off some way and things are hitting. Hard to say without the whole story of condition when put up and if anything been touched since. Did it sit with all the fluids in the engine thru tough freezes etc.... I have seen starters frozen up from sitting years. Wont turn. Starter locked up tight. Remove your starter first. Easiest thing to do that may avoid a lot of work for nothing. 🤞

It's quite possible there is rust in a cylinder which is causing the issue. Oil down the cylinders is a good idea then work the harmonic balancer back and forth to see if you can coax more movement each time.

an easy way to rule out clutch rusted to flywheel. Lift the car, make sure brake drums aren't locked up. Put in gear and try to spin the engine. If the engine now spins then I would suspect something is up with the clutch. if still locked up, it's not the clutch, its the engine.

This wouldn't be uncommon on a non-running engine in a moist environment in the long term. There will always be a valve or two open in a v8 while shutoff allowing contaminants in over time.

If it's rust, the damage is done, no way to reverse it. Oil the cylinder, work back and forth and it may loosen up. If it does might as well fire it up and send it and see how it runs.

Jack the rearend up, try turning the motor over with a bar, if it turns over the clutch is stuck, if it doesn't its likely something internal in the engine.

I suppose with the time involved it would be best to pull the motor and go through it replacing all of the gaskets that are going to leak anyway. Driveshaft is out of the car so it would seem something is amiss inside the small block.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I had a 69 SS Camaro and loved the car. I would pull out all the plugs and spray PB blaster and let it sit at least overnight and spray some motor oil in the plug holes the next day. Try to turn the engine over and go back and forth since you said it moves a little. It's hard to believe the engine would be locked up very tight if it was stored indoors. As others stated maybe the clutch and pressure plate are stuck and making the car engine unable to turn over. If this is the case the whole car should move when you rock the motor slightly back and forth. Let us know how you turn out.

I would think so.
Someone typed "Think of all the Ford owners who will someday want an automobile." -John Dodge- TOO funny. I have commented , "I am certainly brand biased" , because I LOVE them all..! A guy at work had a 1967 F100 Ford P/U truck that was immaculate 100% rebuilt from ground up. He had the 240cui in it. He would drive it to work. I got a kick out of his decals. One on back window was picture of an old WWII grenade with the words: "FORD compact tool kit!" He had a bumper sticker on rear: F.O,R,D. = Fix Or Repair Daily! LOL

Back