1969 COPO Camaro

Everyone likes the 69. Gimmie a 67 or 68. And perfect cars are no fun, because you can't use 'em.
But that car is showroom condition. I wasn't sure if it was a ZL-1 aluminum block or an L72 iron block.

Pretty reasonable compared to 1969 Corvette.

1666828044139.jpg

I turned 16 in 1969. My dream car was a 69 Z 28.
About 35 years ago I bought a 75 Impala because someone had swapped on the double hump heads or so I thought. I paid $100 for the beat up car and drove it home.

Pulled the engine and scrapped the rest.

Later on I tore into the engine I had pulled out of it and it turned out to be a 1967 302.

Someone had put the 2 bbl intake and 1975 impala exhaust on a 302 and stuck it in a 75 Impala.

The engine code for a 1967,302 is "MP" and not the more common 68-69 "DZ" code.

I put it in my 69 Chevelle.

About 35 years ago I bought a 75 Impala because someone had swapped on the double hump heads or so I thought. I paid $100 for the beat up car and drove it home.

Later on I tore into the engine I had pulled out of it and it turned out to be a 1967 302.

Someone had put the 2 bbl intake and 1975 impala exhaust on a 302 and stuck it in a 75 Impala.

That's almost like hitting the lottery.

That's almost like hitting the lottery.
Today would have been. This was pre Internet so I had no fast way to advertise it. I also needed an engine to replace the blown up 6 that was in my Chevelle as well as I really wanted those heads for it. They were the best factory heads back then. Only thing better was expensive aftermarket heads. It moved the Chevelle quite nicely lol

Everyone likes the 69. Gimmie a 67 or 68. And perfect cars are no fun, because you can't use 'em.
But that car is showroom condition. I wasn't sure if it was a ZL-1 aluminum block or an L72 iron block.
The description says it is an L72, but it is not the original engine. It says it was replaced with a period correct L72.

COPO’s are nice but only for the wealthy. ^ I Agree Jeff! Chevy built 602 Z28 Camaros in 1967 and 7,199 in 1968 with the DZ302 engine. No Z28 badging until 69 and the 67 had the vent windows, and no side marker lights. IMO the cleanest most uncluttered look of any Camaro ever. I remember riding my bike to Lyles Chevrolet in my town in September of 1966 to see the new Camaros. I’ve most especially loved the the 67 and 68’s since that day.

I had a Hugger orange 69 SS RS Camaro that I restored when it was about 10 years old and I do have a place in my heart for that year. The copo would be fun to drive with the 427 BBC engine and high HP rating. I am not sure if those seats are similar to OEM. I never seen seat covers quite like those pictured on the Camaro. The interior color is very unique too. Lots of black and white houndstooth or just plain black interiors on the Camaro's. Beautiful car for sure.

My 70 Corvette coupe was stupid fast. It had the CRR engine code. That's the 70 Chevelle 454/450 TH400. 4 to 6 MPG.
Engine had to be worth far more than the car. What did I know?

My cousin had a 1967 Z/28 in around 1970. It was an insurance recovery car. Like many of the first generation Z/28s in Southern Cal, it had been stolen with the engine removed. His dad picked it up cheap and put a replacement small block into it that was not a DZ302.
In 2003 I did see a private collection of 3 '69 427 Camaros. One COPO, one ZL1, and the last a Baldwin Motion (I believe) variant. I had gone by the garage to drop off a new 2002 Camaro B4C Special Service Coupe I was selling. I was drooling so much I had to carry a mop with me.

Today would have been. This was pre Internet so I had no fast way to advertise it. I also needed an engine to replace the blown up 6 that was in my Chevelle as well as I really wanted those heads for it. They were the best factory heads back then. Only thing better was expensive aftermarket heads. It moved the Chevelle quite nicely lol
I had a 327 in my 1970 SS Nova with turbo casting angle plug heads. Today those heads are as rare as a hen's wisdom teeth.

I always was a fan of the 1970/71 Hemi Cuda...
When I read/hear 1971 'Cuda I think of the movie PHANTASM and the 1971 Triple Black 440 Six Pack 'Cuda! Man, that's one cool Mopar.
This guy restored one but put a 426 Hemi in his.
And the series of PHANTASM movies are pretty scary too. I like all of them.

Reactions: hrv
Back