1968 Chevrolet COPO Nova SS 396

These are the ONLY 2 pics I have left of cars that were mine and my dad's. My dad dug them up for me before he went into a nursing home. My ex wife burned almost EVERYTHING I owned!
The 1st one is my 1972 SS Chevelle I sold to my brother before I moved to FL. in 1987. I had started the restoration but couldn't finish it. I installed the front clip and started the body work. In the background is a donor 1976 Camaro. I used the interior and other misc. parts for my 1977 Z/28.
The 2nd pic is my son standing by my dad's 1956 Buick Special.

Attachments

• 1972 SS Chevelle.jpg
    1972 SS Chevelle.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 1956 Buick.jpg
    1956 Buick.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 21
I always liked Novas, but I am probably biased since a '71 was my first car. I am probably fortunate it wasn't a '70..... The car had been my Grandma's, and she was notorious for always buying the cheapest model available. 1971 was the first year that didn't have a standard four-cylinder engine. Besides that, it had no AC, no power brakes, no PS, no radio, no carpeting, no disk brakes, etc. etc....

Back in the day my parents bought a new 1973 Nova with the 350 V8....biggest piece of crap they ever bought!

That particular Nova was at least exciting under acceleration. But that generation drives like a truck, wallowing understeer and poor brakes.

I think it looks great, though...

That particular Nova was at least exciting under acceleration. But that generation drives like a truck, wallowing understeer and poor brakes.

I think it looks great, though...
Most cars back then did handle poorly.

I always liked Novas, but I am probably biased since a '71 was my first car. I am probably fortunate it wasn't a '70..... The car had been my Grandma's, and she was notorious for always buying the cheapest model available. 1971 was the first year that didn't have a standard four-cylinder engine. Besides that, it had no AC, no power brakes, no PS, no radio, no carpeting, no disk brakes, etc. etc....
The perfect platform for a drag strip MONSTUH!

the thing about those cars is the sensation, you feel, hear, and smell everything. the days when a 396 nova was top dog are long gone, but driving something like that is still a very intense experience.

Back