1968 Camaro 454

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1968 camaro with a 454 that came from a late 70's to mid 80's truck. I believe the engine is a Mark IV version.

I bought the vehicle with 43k miles on the chassis post restoration, but I don't know if the engine was rebuilt prior to being put in the car. I've put 6k miles on the car since, so the engine could have 49k or 149k or who knows... There's a good amount of power (it's not a high revving engine) and compression is fine.

I've changed the oil twice since I bought it with Mobil 1. A week ago I started experiencing a ticking lifter noise once the engine was warm, and I put in a bottle of Valvemedic. This solved 80%-90% of the ticking.

I'm getting ready to change the oil again now to get rid of whatever the Valvemedic knocked loose.

I'm looking for a recommendation on what oil & weight to use and whether I should add AutoRX to this oil change. Also, should I be putting in a ZDDP additive?

I'm in South Florida where's it's always warm and I use the car often. The car always runs cool regardless of the weather (aluminum radiator and multiple electric cooling fans). The oil pressure typically stays about 1/2 way on the gauge which is 40 I believe.

Originally Posted By: mustangguy
I have a 1968 camaro with a 454 that came from a late 70's to mid 80's truck. I believe the engine is a Mark IV version.

I bought the vehicle with 43k miles on the chassis post restoration, but I don't know if the engine was rebuilt prior to being put in the car. I've put 6k miles on the car since, so the engine could have 49k or 149k or who knows... There's a good amount of power (it's not a high revving engine) and compression is fine.

I've changed the oil twice since I bought it with Mobil 1. A week ago I started experiencing a ticking lifter noise once the engine was warm, and I put in a bottle of Valvemedic. This solved 80%-90% of the ticking.

I'm getting ready to change the oil again now to get rid of whatever the Valvemedic knocked loose.

I'm looking for a recommendation on what oil & weight to use and whether I should add AutoRX to this oil change. Also, should I be putting in a ZDDP additive?

I'm in South Florida where's it's always warm and I use the car often. The car always runs cool regardless of the weather (aluminum radiator and multiple electric cooling fans). The oil pressure typically stays about 1/2 way on the gauge which is 40 I believe.

How about some Amsoil Z-Rod, comes in 10W-30 and 20W-50, made especially for older high performance engines.

Funny that your screen name is mustangguy and you are driving a Camaro.

AMSOIL's Z-Rod oil would be a good choice. The 10w-30 would work great. What filter are you running, just curious.

For me Mobil 1 is always noisey, try Pennzoil syn to reduce clatter and clean at the same time. Plat or Ultra European $40/case free ship onlinewarehouse.com.

Can you pull a valve cover to check for varnish and sludge? This will help you decide if it needs AutoRX.

I think lighter oil cleans better than 40 or 50 grade.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 and
Quaker State Defy 5w-30 have plenty of anti-wear additives.

I have no idea what valve medic is, but if it cleaned something out, that's good. I don't see a huge need for syn though it is always a good option. But in this case I'd probably run rotella t5 10w-30 in there and then run some MMO if the tick comes back.

That must be one nose-heavy car!!! Awesome though. Pictures, please??

AutoRx may help, it cannot hurt. I bought several bottles and its in various components. They do suggest dino oil for the clean and rinse phase then go back to your favorite. I used ST oil filters and changed them half way through the cleaning phase.

It really comes down to why you want to clean the inside of your engine and whats there.

Your engine in the marine world is called a big block GM engine. If it came from a truck it probably has 4 bolt mains vs 2 bolt mains if they do the same thing on the 454 as they did on the 350.

Originally Posted By: mgm13
For me Mobil 1 is always noisey, try Pennzoil syn to reduce clatter and clean at the same time. Plat or Ultra European $40/case free ship onlinewarehouse.com.

Can't find that website.

10 mpg? I hate to think what that 454 in a pickup or Suburban got for mileage.

Does the Amsoil Z-ROD have to be ordered directly through Amsoil on their site or does anyone else carry it at a discount?

I would love to have an old Chevy. I used to have a 2 door fastback Impala factory ordered with a 250 six cylinder and a powerglide transmission. Never saw any 68 Impala in all my years that did not have a V-8. I converted it to a 327 turbo 400. I miss that car. I would love to have an old Chevy again. Have fun with it.

I had Auto-RX solve a lifter tick completely. I like RX a lot. I also use Amsoil and feel it's a great product. We try to support the Amsoil sponsors on this site like Pablo. They can get it for you wholesale and you support the site.

I have not tried the Z-Rod oil, but I know it will work very well in the proper application.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with the Camaro.

Lets see now, you got a used unknown history low rev high output engine looking to be cleaned. Sounds like a candidate for any of the diesel oil available from your local auto part stores. I would run either Rotella or Delo 15W40 and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Lets see now, you got a used unknown history low rev high output engine looking to be cleaned. Sounds like a candidate for any of the diesel oil available from your local auto part stores. I would run either Rotella or Delo 15W40 and call it a day.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

+1, though I would add Delvac to the list.

I'm not too familiar with the usage of diesel oil. So I'd use 100% diesel for the oil change and run it for the standard 3k miles? What filters do you guys recommend?

I had a 76 chev patrol car with the 454 and we used 10w-30 or 10w-40, but back then the zinc was higher. I hope your engine is better than what we had, I sucked valves several times in that SOB when really getting on it to go after a violator. Good luck with your rig.

Originally Posted By: mustangguy
I'm not too familiar with the usage of diesel oil. So I'd use 100% diesel for the oil change and run it for the standard 3k miles? What filters do you guys recommend?

No, you use a diesel engine lubricant, like Delvac, Delo, Rotella....etc in either a 15w40 or 5w40 grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back