1960's grease

I cleaned up & re-greased my sister's KitchenAid Model 4C which my sisteter inherited from our Mom which our Mom inherited from our Grandmother. It's been making noise because the gears aren't getting any lubrication especially at speed #10. Instead of just re-apply the older grease to the gears, I went ahead cleaned & re-greased it with "Lucas Red n Tacky". The old grease inside was super high quality. I was surprised it was a 1960's grease and the grease didn't leak at all during it's service. Not dried as if you just opened a new grease tube. Now the mixer is working like new after it was re-greased.

Last edited:
This is the best Grease from the '60s;

1634168153419.jpeg

See Mr. Mixer on Youtube.......
Thanks, I watched several videos on YT how take it apart. The vintage KitchenAid mixer which my sister has have the industrial/automotive grease inside, but the newer KitchenAids have the Benalene 930-2 grease which leaks over time. I don't know why KitchenAid went with Benalene which is quite pricey

s-l1000.jpg

The Benalene is a food safe grease. I don't think the Lucas stuff is.
Yeah that would be the concern, though what’s the chance of even accidental contact?

Super Lube MP grease is also a Food Grade rated grease (H1)
You can get 3oz tubes of it at Harbor Freight.
that’s the product I was thinking of. Though PTFE is a forever chemical now, I guess…

Yeah that would be the concern, though what’s the chance of even accidental contact?

that’s the product I was thinking of. Though PTFE is a forever chemical now, I guess…
My sister's vintage KitchenAid from the 1960s that she inherited from our Mom has a high quality grease on it that it never leaks even though if it runs very hot. I don't know what formula they did back then. My mistake, I guess was rather than re-applying the grease that pushed over to the side by the moving gears, I cleaned it up and changed the entire grease to Lucas Red n Tacky. Well, will see if Lucas will over-perform the older 1960s grease.

I have the modern KitchenAid & when it runs very hot when mixing dough it leaks oil from the grease after it has been used. But it does not leak like a faulty faucet dripping water when it is turned off. Only the planetary module that rotates is a little oily. Wipe that clean & that's it. It only leaks when it runs very hot. I think it is time to change the grease in it as well as it is over 10 years old. I'll be changing that to food grade rated as mentioned here by several members. Thanks for all the comments & recommendations. :)

Here's a picture of both mine & my sister's. Anyone can tell which one is the vintage?
20211017_090144.jpg

Last edited:
The one on the right is the vintage one I would presume, no ground pin on it.

Correct :). The vintage is on the right, the newer ones are quite bigger. But still the vintage can still do the multiple food mixing tasks.

Back