1959 vs 2009 chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discussed to death here

As I said in that thread, if you wanted to "stack the deck" in favor of the new car, an X-frame full-size shivvy from 1958 to 59 or so would be the ideal pick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Discussed to death here

As I said in that thread, if you wanted to "stack the deck" in favor of the new car, an X-frame full-size shivvy from 1958 to 59 or so would be the ideal pick.

Do the same test using a 1960 Chrysler with its unibody construction and the outcome would have been far different.

When I was 12 years old I was actually in our 1966 New Yorker when a jerk crossed the center line while we were waiting to make a left turn. My dad and I were coming back to the house after picking up a pizza. The police estimated the guy (who was drunk) was running over 50 mph when he hit us head on offset. Our Chrysler didn't look anything like that Chevy. The front in took all the impact. There was no intrusion into the passenger cabin and no deformation of the passenger cabin. Dad had a few bruises and I banged my head on the windshield.

G-man,

"far different"? So, you don't think that we have made many substantial improvements to passenger safety?

How did the police estimate the guy's speed? Guess how they officially estimated my speed when involved in an offset front end wreck one time. Speed limit. Speed limit was 45 mph so they estimated I was doing 45 mph. Wrong by more than 30%.

OK, I finally looked at the link. Done by insurance companies justifying their efforts. I wish I could remember more about Haddon and his expensive, low payback regulations. A Ralph Nader protege.

Cars are far safer today but look at the cost difference as well! I would rather have car's I could afford and a little less saftey to be honest. I amnot saying I want to be driving tin foil around town but the cost of vechiles has far out paced inflation, the value of the dollar and other factors! When my Dad bought his 70 Dart swinger he was makeing $7 an hour at Master Cast basicly tossing bar's of alloys into a big pot to be melted. That same Job today maybe not with Master cast but someone else does not pay much better then it did back in 1970. He bought his car 1 year old used for like $1500 with a 340V8 and Automatic transmission and air conditioning. Today you would probably make $9-$11 an hour doing that job and a used 1 year old Charger with V8 and air conditioning would run you at least $16000 and probably more then that really. Case in point my 1986 4Runner cost $15,000 new before finanacing today you cannot touch a new 4Runner for less then the mid $30K range on up. I was making just under $10 when still in H.S. today I am lucky to find a job paying $8-$9 an hour and that is with a 4 year college degree! So their is a lot more then just saftey and weight going on......All the emissions and saftey laws put together have raised the price of a vechile to insane levels!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
A '72 Eldorado vs a Charger or something would be a good one to see.

Yes, now I REALLY want to see a modern car against a more robust old car. Honestly, I can't think of a worse design for impacts than an x frame. I'm not saying the a new car won't do better but it would be nice to see it. Afterall, I'm sure the guy that picked the car to be used was well aware of it's weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back