1955 briggs and stratton model 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
I guy a few miles from the shop at work has a mans sale going. He had this 12-01-55 build date complete excect half of the muffler is missing. The oil bath is gone and replaced with a foam style one. Need a fuel line and carb cleaning. Not a bad find for thirty smackers. Has awesome compression.

Degrease, clean points, and a new plug tomorrow. I have an exhust too. I have the plan to use my homemade plate insert propane setup to test run it a few hours to do a short flush oci and get a feel for mechanical condition before i rebuild the carb

Ken

1950 Case Model "D.O." tractor. Right now, Advanced auto 20W50 with three cans of "Restore."

1933 Case Model "C" tractor - 30W "Napa" brand oil.

And while I have no idea what year it is, I inherited an old air compressor from my uncle that is ancient. Flat belt pulley, oil fill plug is a cork. The original tank I threw away when I got the compressor as it was riveted together. The frame was made of wood that was fitted together around the tank. It does have compression and will pump, I just need to rig it to a new tank one of these days.

I've also got a couple of boat motors from the '50's that will turn over and look to be in great shape, I just don't know what to do with them but I can't bring myself to throw them away.

Picks tomorrow. I have to take it over to a friends to use airgun to remove flywheel to clean up the points. He has a digital camera. I will post some picks of the kohler light unit. Its a 4hp 4cylinder watercooled flathead. Its my back up unit for the cabin. I have its sister upnorth at the cabin. 3000 watt 110AC autostart. No load no run. Apply load it fires up. Runs 1800 rpm

Ken

The model is 8, type is 107078 the serial is 551201. I was wonder if anyone would know were to get a tune-up kit (points and condensor).. i was thinking instead of cleanin the old points and hoping the consensor is good not me.i like to start new. I want to say i remember a convertor digital box that replace the condensor or something, would something like that work.

Ken

I think yours is a 1951 model, probably made in April or May of that year. It's considered the "old" model 8; the "new" model 8 started production in mid-1952.

I'd think that any decent small engine shop could get or cross reference tune up parts for yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back