1937 B & S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
my father just yesterday told me of a piece of farm equipment that he just running again. The mechanic was very surprised that it was a 1937 B & S motor. Was a bit gummed up, but got it running and apparently it goes quite well.

Will report back when I see it.

In the meantime anybody have some info on motors of this vintage?

If possible, consider running 1 dose of AutoRx to cleanse the innards of this gummed up B&S. I know it may not rid of any rust-related blowby or corrosion problems but at least you can be certain that the ring packs should be working nicely afterwards.

Also consider running HDEO or diesel enging oil and for gas, add some lead substitute if posssible.

Got some 15w-40 diesel type oil on hand so that should be fine.

Thanks for the tip on the lead substitute. Hadn't even thought of valve issues with our current fuels. We don't even have lead replacement fuels anymore. These were discontinued just recently. "Valve saver" type products are available fortunately.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Hi,
my father just yesterday told me of a piece of farm equipment that he just running again. The mechanic was very surprised that it was a 1937 B & S motor. Was a bit gummed up, but got it running and apparently it goes quite well.

Will report back when I see it.

In the meantime anybody have some info on motors of this vintage?

Just look at a brand new Briggs. Other than the ignition system, and more plastic parts on the newer model, it's identical...

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back