1911 Pistol options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love quality 1911s Nothing better af far as shooting pleasure . the quality trigger is the secret. I own and enjoy Glocks and XDs I have shot CZ and yes they are nice but then so is the Browning Hi Power I bought in 1972 .

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I own a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer (Match grade barrel, tight bushing, adjustable sights, good trigger, stainless finish) in .45 ACP. Street Price about $800. Flawless right out of the box. Well made. Very accurate. Great pistol.

I own a Colt 1911 Competition (NM barrel, tight bushing, dual recoil spring system, fiber optic front sight, blued finish) in .38 Super. Paid $750 on Gunbroker, so about $800 with shipping and transfer fees. Very accurate, shoots great, but the thumb safety wasn't right. It was hard to put into "safe"...mushy and difficult..it worked once there, and wasn't hard to click back into the "fire" position. I had to do some tuning/stoning on the safety, like I was installing a new thumb safety.

While I like the Colt a lot, and it shoots great, you shouldn't have to tune/modify a gun out of the box.

I've heard good things about the Rock Island offerings. No first hand experience.

I would recommend either of the guns I've got, Colt or SA, but be forewarned that a bit of tuning might be required on the Colt.

Is it a Colt thing, or a 1911 thing?

I have a 9mm Colt Competition that has been flawless. At the same time, my Kimber 1911 is finnicky, and often wont feed the last round of Federal ammo (but winchester and others run well).

I was sort of under the impression that 1911s were designed to run "a little loose" (whatever that means technically), and need to be broken in a bit more than other guns necessarily do...

21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I own a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer (Match grade barrel, tight bushing, adjustable sights, good trigger, stainless finish) in .45 ACP. Street Price about $800. Flawless right out of the box. Well made. Very accurate. Great pistol.

I own a Colt 1911 Competition (NM barrel, tight bushing, dual recoil spring system, fiber optic front sight, blued finish) in .38 Super. Paid $750 on Gunbroker, so about $800 with shipping and transfer fees. Very accurate, shoots great, but the thumb safety wasn't right. It was hard to put into "safe"...mushy and difficult..it worked once there, and wasn't hard to click back into the "fire" position. I had to do some tuning/stoning on the safety, like I was installing a new thumb safety.

While I like the Colt a lot, and it shoots great, you shouldn't have to tune/modify a gun out of the box.

I've heard good things about the Rock Island offerings. No first hand experience.

I would recommend either of the guns I've got, Colt or SA, but be forewarned that a bit of tuning might be required on the Colt.

Is it a Colt thing, or a 1911 thing?

I have a 9mm Colt Competition that has been flawless. At the same time, my Kimber 1911 is finnicky, and often wont feed the last round of Federal ammo (but winchester and others run well).

I was sort of under the impression that 1911s were designed to run "a little loose" (whatever that means technically), and need to be broken in a bit more than other guns necessarily do...

21.gif

The Colt was a quality control thing. The gun is a pleasure overall, tight fit, accurate, nice trigger.

But out of the box, the thumb safety wasn't right. Too much force to push it up to "safe" and it felt mushy doing so. It wasn't properly fitted. A bit of time with a stone, and it now works perfectly. It's the same process as fitting a new thumb safety....but that should have been done at the factory.

Out of the box, the Springfield safety was perfect (that's part of how I knew the Colt wasn't right). Better QC before it was put in the box.

Kimber gets bashed a good bit on the net but all 3 I have had first hand experience with have run like tops FWIW. My daily carry in winter clothing is a Kimber Pro Carry II. The gun had two malfunctions in the first 30 rounds and never a single one since (over 600 now it's still pretty new). With Kimber you get a lot of quality and features at their entry level but the value really starts to fade as you go up. JMO but I would never pay Dan Wesson money for a Kimber even though Kimbers are good.

Ruger, Springfield and Sig also all make excellent sub 1k 1911s. All three makes also are well known for good to great CS if you need it.

Colt can be hit or miss these days and CS is so so and notoriously slow. Probably not a good choice for a first 1911.

If you want to just get an entry level 1911 to have fun and learn the platform, all of the Pilipino guns are known for working well (Rock Island, Metro Arms American Classics and ATI) I personally think Metro gives you the most gun/quality for the money but I would expect all to run well and all can be had for under $600, a few well under that.

WARNING: 1911s are horribly addictive.
laugh.gif

"If you want to just get an entry level 1911 to have fun and learn the platform, all of the Pilipino guns are known for working well (Rock Island, Metro Arms American Classics and ATI) I personally think Metro gives you the most gun/quality for the money but I would expect all to run well and all can be had for under $600, a few well under that.

WARNING: 1911s are horribly addictive."

Agreed. I wanted a 1911 on the cheap but solid quality. Got an ATI Firepower xtreme Commander. It wwas approximately $425 delivered including FFL. I added some "exotic" Amboyna wood grips $10 delivered..which look suspiciously like oak, Pearce finger grip extender and I replaced the firing pin and extractor with an eBay replacement. [censored] quality original extractor. Picked up five McCormick stainless mags from joe's magmania for about $70.
Geat gun but the single biggest upgrade I would have went for and one that anyone dipping into 1911s should consider is: Novak sights...at a minimum. Iron sights don't do the 1911 platform justice...but they get the job done. Of course you can always add them afterwards but it's just better to have them out of the box.

Last edited:
There are a number of things to be aware of with 1911’s.

Many manufacturers use proprietary specifications for things like sight cuts. Should you ever want to customize the pistol many pistolsmiths will not work on just any pistol. If you want to for instance install a night sight, your pistols manufacturer may limit your choices.

Parts do matter. If you disassemble a SA or Kimber, set the frame, slide and barrel aside pretty much everything you are left with is MIM. Colts have 3 or 4 MIM parts and Dan Wesson none. There nothing wrong with properly manufactured MIM but one should know what they are getting. Some of the less expensive 1911’s may not have forged frames, again nothing wrong with a properly manufactured cast frame, but know what you are getting. I will try to post some example photographs this weekend.

Colt is pretty much the ONLY one that will have some of the small touches like a kink in the plunger spring and a locking tab on the recoil spring plug (for “GI” type recoil system).

I have dealt with all three companies Customer Service, DW and Springfield for functional and cosmetic issues and Colt for cosmetic issues (picky ones too). If you’re impatient and need it right then, then Colt isn’t the one for you, IF you need them to work on one it will take a while, but it’ll be right when it comes back IME. I’ve never had a Colt that failed to run 100% out of the box. Springfield’s legendary customer service failed to even reply. DW took care of it.

My worst Colt is a better gun in every way than my Springfield Range Officer was.

If you cruise the 1911 forums you’re likely to see complaints about Colts grip safety being a bit lose and mushy thumb safeties, SA accuracy issues and DW POI/POA issues. No manufacturer goes unscathed as far as complaints.

A couple of years ago, I decided to get my first 1911.

I wanted something that would be really nice to shoot at the range, so I really didn't want to have to modify it (at least, not immediately). I wanted it to check all the boxes from the get-go.

I did a lot of research and ended up with a Dan Wesson RZ-45 Razorback "Heritage". At the time, it was their full-size, entry-level model. I paid $1039 plus shipping/transfer. Even though it's their entry-level model, it still has no MIM parts, and fit & finish is exceptional. Particularly the slide-to-frame fit is impressive.

If you do some reading and research into 1911-style handguns, the names "Wilson Combat", "Ed Brown", "Les Baer", "Nighthawk", and a few others will come up. These are referred to as "semi-custom" 1911s. In other words, most, if not all, of the parts are "hand-fitted" together. That is, they are "roughly" sized when they are made, being a little too big to fit together, and are actually worked by hand, with files, stones, sandpaper, and other hand tools, with high metal being removed, until they are mated together very tightly. Obviously, this is a labor-intensive process, requiring skilled craftsmen with lots of experience, so, the prices reflect that. But you get a pistol that has very tight tolerances, and is very accurate. And, of course, frames and slides are forged or billet, small parts are made of tool steel. Basically you're getting the "Swiss watch" of pistols. However, being that these are, essentially, handmade pistols, there is the chance that you might get one that is not perfectly-functioning, as many people have with these semi-custom 1911s, and, in that case, it would need to be sent back to be tweaked.

The difference between the aforementioned semi-custom 1911 builders, and Dan Wesson, is that DW has figured out how to offer a 1911 that HAS most of the benefits that the real semi-custom 1911s have (excellent fit & finish, top-quality materials, no MIM parts, very close tolerances, excellent accuracy) at a much lower price. They've done this by utilizing the latest computerized machining, minimizing the amount of time that needs to be spent by a gunsmith, hand-fitting parts together. So, they're able to offer a 1911 that comes very, very close to a semi-custom in those categories of fit, tolerance, and accuracy, at a FAR lower price.

In fact, if you go to the 1911 forums and do some research, you'll run across many posts made by folks who own both actual semi-custom 1911s from makers I listed above, and Dan Wesson, and many will tell you that they can't tell a difference. Some even like their DWs better. There's a real cult following.

When I make any purchase, I really like to get a lot for my money, and, again, from the research I did, this was the most 1911 I could get for my $$$.

Also, I've put a few thousand rounds through it (mostly cheap, Walmart Federal aluminum case target rounds) with zero malfunctions of any kind.

Dan Wesson RZ-45 Razorback "Heritage" Government Model 1911

Frame: Forged Stainless Steel, matte finish, flat mainspring housing with checkering, undercut trigger guard
Slide: Forged Stainless Steel, brushed flats, serrated "razorback" top
Barrel: Match, throated
Trigger: Match, medium length of pull, 4-lb pull as measured by me on Lyman gauge, zero overtravel, zero creep, zero grit
Safety: Extended
Beavertail: Ed Brown-style, extended/high-ride, with memory bump
Slide release lever: extended
Hammer: skeletonized, commander-style
Sights: Novak-style ramp rear, plain black, Trijicon tritium white dot front, dovetail-mount
Grips: (aftermarket, installed by me): G10, "Simonich Gunner". Came with plain black rubber Hogue grips.

Here's my favorite video of the gun - this is the same model I have, and the guy detail-strips it and shows the exceptional finish on all the little parts, and the way the slide mates with the frame:

1k7lmtI.jpg

NxWzkmo.jpg

Nf8d97q.jpg

Hi
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. It brought back memories of my Pistol shooting days before the pre 98 ban.
As can be seen from my user name I shoot rifles now.

I second the TISAS. Same performance and durability as high end 1911s at a fraction of the cost. They’re better than Rock Island Armory. If you’re looking to spend $1500 for a fancy carving or blued steel finish then go with the ones you’ve listed.....

Paying more for a "semi custom" 1911 doesn't always guarantee you a better running gun. If I remember correctly, Astro 14 had a friend who spent good money on a Dan Wesson, and the slide locked up rendering the pistol useless. He can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I usually read his posts very thoroughly.

On the other hand, I have a Rock Island Armory 9 MM 1911 that I bought on sale for $307.00 out the door. (Minus the fancy grips). It has the best trigger of ANY 1911 I own. Including my Colt Gold Cup, and Springfield Trophy Match. And it has never experienced a FTF or FTE in well over 1,000 rounds to date. The whole cast vs. forged / MIM vs. machined argument doesn't mean much when your slide galls to the frame on your "semi custom" pistol you paid well into 4 digits for..

Yeah, saying that paying more for a semi-custom 1911 doesn’t get you a better-running gun is like saying that a Corvette doesn’t get you from point A to point B any better than a Cavalier. Will both cars get you to where you’re going? Well, sure. But most people fully understand the difference in the experience of driving those two cars.

As far as the function and reliability of my Dan Wesson, I couldn’t ask for more. It’s been 100% in the few thousand rounds I’ve shot through it.

Every manufacturer has had issues, and always will. It’s the nature of devices that are designed by people.

I stand by my opinion that Dan Wesson 1911s represent a TON of value for the money you spend, compared to other 1911s. I don’t believe there’s another 1911 OEM our there that offers as much for your money (at least, in the realm of mid-to-higher-end 1911s).

Bill - it was my kid brother that had a bad experience with a Dan Wesson. A 10mm Razorback. Beautifully finished, nice trigger, stopped running on the second magazine (as I was shooting it) because the slide bound/galled to the frame. Took a wood block and hammer to get the gun apart and see what was going on.

Not saying that all Dan Wessons are bad, but his was.

I might take a chance on a Dan Wesson in the future, but I will use grease on that slide and for the first few hundred rounds, I would take it apart and lube it every three magazines or so...that tight fit requires a more attentive break in, I think...

Just to add, and I may have mentioned this in another post, that my new Colt 1911 Competition (blued, .38 Super) wasn't quite right out of the box. The thumb safety required a bit of fitting (I elected to do this myself, rather than a warranty claim) to operate properly.

It's an otherwise nice gun: Custom G10 Grips, Upswept Beavertail Grip Safety, and Undercut Trigger Guard. Dual Recoil spring system. National Match® Barrel and Novak Adjustable Fiber Optic Sights.. Series 70 Firing System.

But out of the box, it wasn't perfect. Surprising when you think about it...not as expensive as the Dan Wesson, but certainly not cheap, either and from a company that SHOULD know a thing or two about 1911s... I expected better quality control.

Last edited:
The DW slide galling issue is reasonably well documented online. The cliff notes version is that DW includes a bottle of lube in the box, use it. DW includes break in instructions in the owners manual, follow them. Do those 2 things and your chances of having issues are greatly reduced.

http://cdn.danwessonfirearms.com/ourquality/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/DW-1911-Manual.pdf

I don’t recall ever seeing it reported on a Duty Treat gun.

I also do not recall ever hearing it reported that they did anything but fix it quickly.

Keith at DW has warned against both grease and Remoil (or Hoppes Elite Gun Oil) on more than one occasion.

BTW, if you have a Duty Treated DW you might want to do some research before you start spraying it with stuff too... (just a little PSA there)

Colt's mushy thumb safety too is fairly well documented online, would it be nice if they were better, yes it would, but if it passes a function check then it might be more preference than actual “problem”. Custom Shop guns are better.

https://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml

You can find examples of nearly any 1911 (indeed, probably any product) where someone had an issue or was dissatisfied. Some of them have a point, some of them don’t.

I’ve got experience with more than one Colt, more than one DW and more than one Springfield. With $1000.00 bucks to spend, I’d buy the Colt every time.

I appreciate the clarification/expansion duckryder - didn't know that DW recommends against grease...and if I ever do get one, then I would follow those instructions carefully.

My Colt's safety functioned just fine, but it was both mushy and difficult to put on safe.

A bit of fitting and the Colt's safety "snicks" on and off, just as it should.

I often use Automatic Transmission Fluid for gun oil . Recently been experimenting with 5W-30 synthetic motor oil .

I have A Colt 1911 sold to the Argentinians in 1928 . The Argentinians put their markings on the opposite side of the slide .

I have a TIAS SS " Tactical " model & a TIAS " Government " model .

Yeah, that actually reads harsher than I intended.

DW is very responsive, it is a small operation with folks that care, they are trying pretty hard to give the customer what they want and folks seem to want very tight slide to frame fit (even though within reason it has little effect on accuracy). The result is that they are pickier about lube than average, particularly for the first few hundred rounds. I agree the advice against grease seems a bit counterintuitive.

The biggest thing with any auto pistol slide is using enough lube. As opposed to what type. If you go to the range, or even watch on You Tube, you'll see countless auto pistols being run all but dry. (I don't know why, but Hikock 45 is notorious for doing this. Especially on new guns). You should see lubricant oozing out from between the slide and the frame when you're shooting. Especially on a new gun.

Another thing is Stainless Steel guns are much more prone to slide galling than carbon steel. This is because of the natural "gumminess" of the Stainless Steel caused by it's Nickel content. The least galling comes with the blued frame / Stainless slide guns. The contact of the dissimilar metals reduce the chances of galling dramatically.

I shot competition for several years with a STI. Never let me down and was good out of the box. Also have a Kimber Series 1 that I like a lot. You can spend $500 to $5000. the difference in parts could be huge, but may never be noticed by the average plinker.

Last edited:
Good to go
-Colt
-Dan Wesson
-Ruger
-Smith & Wesson
-Rock Island Armory (for budget)
-Springfield

Nope
-Kimber
-Made in Turkey

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
The biggest thing with any auto pistol slide is using enough lube. As opposed to what type. ...

I agree with that in general. I would say the body of evidence is strong that the type does matter on DW at least at first. Strong enough that DW actually specifically warns against certain lubes in the owners manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back