19 Ram 1500 Classic Tires - 265-70-17

In the market for tires in the next few months. The GoodYear SR-As haven't been bad, will be shot in the 40k-45k range, but not interested in buying them again.

In shopping around, my biggest gripe with this size is how low the maximum inflation pressure is on so many of these tires. The door placard says 40psi for the recommended pressure, but the OEM tires are 44psi max. Many of the options in this size are 44psi max, according to TireRack. I like to keep my tires a few PSI above the door, but with only a 4psi window to work with I can't do that currently.

I don't have a need for all terrain, but I do like the idea of a 3PMSF rating and am not opposed to a very mild all terrain tread like the Grabber APT.

Right now it seems my best option is the Kuhmo Crugen HT51. Meets my pressure want, 3PMSF rated and 70,000 mile warranty.

Any experience?

What about an LT rated tire...but your ride quality might suffer...
I've thought about that, but I really don't want to trade off that ride quality.

The Grabber APT is a "LT" and is still a normal load range, so that might be ok, but it looks like most LTs are E range.

I have Starfire Solaris AP's in 265/70/17's on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic. I keep them aired to ~40 psig.

I also have a few sets of the OEM goodyears

max pressure(on sidewall) is the max you can set them to cold.. not the max the tire is able to handle.

That being said 40psi is an odd inflation pressure for non-LT(load range C D E) tires.
Usually they would just spec a slightly bigger tire with a lower pressure (35psi etc.)
might be a fuel economy thing.

I have Starfire Solaris AP's in 265/70/17's on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic. I keep them aired to ~40 psig.

I also have a few sets of the OEM goodyears

I'll have to look into those. Thanks

I looked at those. The reviews on the Kuhmo tires look better, but it is an option for sure.

max pressure(on sidewall) is the max you can set them to cold.. not the max the tire is able to handle.

That being said 40psi is an odd inflation pressure for non-LT(load range C D E) tires.
Usually they would just spec a slightly bigger tire with a lower pressure (35psi etc.)
might be a fuel economy thing.

I understand. I follow that and when we get hot days, it is usually above 44psi hot. I've always like to split the difference as a balance of ride and economy.

The whole thing just seems weird. I've had plenty of sets of car and van tires that are 51psi max.

I looked at those. The reviews on the Kuhmo tires look better, but it is an option for sure.

I understand. I follow that and when we get hot days, it is usually above 44psi hot. I've always like to split the difference as a balance of ride and economy.

The whole thing just seems weird. I've had plenty of sets of car and van tires that are 51psi max.
The yokohamas are among the best mild AT tires.
Kumhos I've had always start out ok then I hate them by the time they are 40% worn but those were UHP tires not suv/truck tires.

The yokohamas are among the best mild AT tires.
Kumhos I've had always start out ok then I hate them by the time they are 40% worn but those were UHP tires not suv/truck tires.
Judging by some of the Yokohama reviews, it is an issue with that tire as well.

Judging by some of the Yokohama reviews, it is an issue with that tire as well.
Thats not how it works.. if you want to crap on a tire (suggestion) you have to suggest a tire too 😉

One with a 51psi max inflation pressure which really limits the suggestions.. but is a must have to the OP.

Thats not how it works.. if you want to crap on a tire (suggestion) you have to suggest a tire too 😉

One with a 51psi max inflation pressure which really limits the suggestions.. but is a must have to the OP.
Fair enough, but I think most tires seem to suffer the same loss of wet traction issue once they age.

Fair enough, but I think most tires seem to suffer the same loss of wet traction issue once they age.
I never mentioned what I didnt like about the kumhos. which as I mentioned werent suv tires.
Loud, terrible flatspotting overnight, less mpg than other brands.. etc.
my ku22's developed "Cosmetic" tread separation I forget the specific word for it where the the tread splices pop open and it looks nasty but is cosmetic.

Wet traction loss when a tire is 5 years older with half tread is pretty normal imo.

It depends on the rating, are they 113 or 116. Most 113's carry their max weight at 35 psi even thought the sidewall states 44 psi max and the 116 carry a higher max but at 41 psi. This is the chart for your current tire.
https://tirepressure.com/p265-70r17-tire-pressure
So you may have the 116's on there.

Maybe I need to better understand these numbers. @Rand mentioned the 40psi recommendation seemed strange above.

The Goodyear SR-A tires are 113.

How reputable is this tire pressure.com site?

If I can set to 40psi and be less concerned with it going under, I’ll open the search.

A couple of things:

First, on P type tires, the max pressure is almost meaningless. I say "almost" because there is a difference between SL (Standard Load) and XL (Extra Load) and in that case, there is a difference.

Allow me to give you an example: A Standard Load P type tire has the max load occur at 35 psi per the load table (36 psi for tires done in metric units). Pressures below 35 psi have less load carrying capacity. HOWEVER, that same tire could be labeled max pressure 35, 44 or 51 psi max! It's up to the tire manufacturer to decide, but it doesn't affect how the tire is actually built! Since the burst pressure for a tire (any tire) is many times that load table max pressure, what gets written on the sidewall as a max has no relationship to anything (except for the SL/XL thing).

So I don't think the fixation on max pressure is warranted.

Second, the vehicle in question (2019 Ram Classic) does indeed come with P265/70R17 SL tires with a 40 psi placard spec pressure. As has been pointed out, this is highly unusual, since SL tires are generally placard spec'd at or below 35 psi. My experience says that when this happens, there is some handling deficiency that was caught late in vehicle development and the best fix was the higher pressure. A good example was the Chevy Astro.

How reputable is this tire pressure.com site?

A quick glance says they just republished TRA and ETRTO values, but it is unclear about JATMA because they don't have an explicit table for JATMA metric passenger car tires, but when you look up tires that ARE JATMA, they publish the correct load table.

There is also a "tire pressure.org" website that seems to use the same information, but arranges it differently - EXCEPT - they don't do JATMA that I can tell.

Thank you for the education, truly. (Didn't want to sound like a smart$$$)

In simplified version,
So, pick a SL tire in the OE size and roll with the 40psi that I've been doing and don't worry about it.

How does a 115 load index tire compare with a 113 load index? Is it as simple as, it can handle a little more weight at the same 35psi?
Example: Continental TerrainContact H/T - 265/70R17

Thank you for the education, truly. (Didn't want to sound like a smart$$$)

In simplified version,
So, pick a SL tire in the OE size and roll with the 40psi that I've been doing and don't worry about it.

How does a 115 load index tire compare with a 113 load index? Is it as simple as, it can handle a little more weight at the same 35psi?
Example: Continental TerrainContact H/T - 265/70R17
Yes and no. Yes, the 115’s can handle a bit more weight, however our trucks aren’t rated for more than what the 113’s can handle.

Back