'19 Hyundai Santa Fe DOWN!

Well, it's been a bad week for my wife's '19 Santa Fe. We were running some errands with her car (I was driving) when we started hearing a metallic sounding "rapping" coming from the front of the car. I realized the sound WASN'T related to engine RPM and seemed more related to transmission operation--I could make the sound stop by shifting from drive to neutral or park. We were only about 1/4 mile from our Hyundai dealer so I wheeled into the service department and had one of the mechanics take a listen--this guy had never heard that particular sound before, but recommended that we don't drive it, so we left it there.

While waiting for the initial callback from the dealer, I recalled that shortly after getting the car I had taken it for service because I thought that the transmission didn't seem to downshift quick enough (hesitating to accelerate from a stop), and it didn't seem to want to downshift when going up moderately steep hills--at that time the mechanic told me that it's just how the powertrains are tuned nowadays to stay in higher gears for fuel economy etc. Sounded plausible, so I dismissed it. Now I'm wondering if that was an indication that something wasn't right with it.

The following day they called and said a Hyundai field engineer had authorized removal / replacement of the transmission. Today they ordered a NEW transmission and said it'll be delivered tomorrow (quicker than I would have thought). Installation of the new transmission will happen next week. While I'm not happy that the transmission failed at 21,000 miles I can't complain about how Hyundai is handling it--there were no questions asked about maintenance or anything else, and my wife is driving a '21 Elantra until her car is repaired.

I asked the service manager if they see many problems with these transmissions (8-speed auto) and she said they're rare in her experience and she chalked those few instances up to production / manufacturing problems. This is my third Hyundai Santa Fe--the others only required preventive maintenance, oil changes, tires and brakes. I'm thinking this is an oddball failure and Hyundai's quick response is somewhat reassuring despite the inconvenience.

Are there any Hyundai mechanics on here that can comment on this failure? Rare? Cause? I'll update when we get the car back.

Service advisors and service managment aren't supposed to be forthcoming to a customer regarding reliability issues.
BMW and the dealership owner wouldn't want Scotty K as a service advisor as an example.

Consumers Reports gives the 2019 Santa Fe a 4/5 on minor transmission repair and a 4/5 on major transmission repair.
The 2018 Santa Fe however only gets a 2/5 on minor transmission repair but gets the same 4/5 on major transmission repairs. So you are in a small boat of others that have had a transmission issue with a 2019 Santa Fe.

I’m glad Hyundai is taking good care of you. Not sure on how their 8 speed unit is doing in terms of failures. Probably not as bad as the 2.4 / 2.0T engine debacle.

One day for the transmission to arrive is incredible given the current events.
I'm glad you're being taken care of. We have a couple of friends with Santa Fe's and like you, all they've needed is regular maintenance.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if they have a Hyundai warehouse full of transmissions somewhere nearby with a UPS truck parked outside idling!

Having a replacement on hand indicates they are replacing more of these than they are letting on.

In my experience as a former hyundai tech, it's the other way around. If they need to replace regularly, there's a backlog.

However, most often the warranty department wants the dealer tech to open the transmission and replace only the faulty parts, when those aren't in stock (not uncommon since the same things usually fail) it's possible to get a complete assembly, also when it's everything (so including casings) that needs to be replaced.

I haven't had bad experiences with the 8 speed, but quite a few with the 6-speed in combination with awd.

I haven't read of any widespread transmission issues with these in-house units. But there will always be failures with all brands and models.

This is different from the 2.4/2.0T possible failures that have garnered a few preemptive recalls concerning build and fire concerns.

There is no level of professionalism that can expell the disappointment of a major component failure, but the manner in which H/K has responded (in the vast majority of cases I've read) is commendable and beyond expectations.

Last edited:
This is different from the 2.4/2.0T possible failures that have garnered a few preemptive recalls concerning build and fire concerns.

My wife is taking our 2016 Optima SXL 2.0T in today for the software update. The recall letter indicates that there is a lifetime warranty on the long block when completed. I was surprised to see that.

My wife is taking our 2016 Optima SXL 2.0T in today for the software update. The recall letter indicates that there is a lifetime warranty on the long block when completed. I was surprised to see that.
Same for our SFS 2.0T.

I haven't read of any widespread transmission issues with these in-house units. But there will always be failures with all brands and models.

There is no level of professionalism that can expell the disappointment of a major component failure, but the manner in which H/K has responded (in the vast majority of cases I've read) is commendable and beyond expectations.
Unlike some domestic manufacturers-in the vast majority of component failure they actually acknowledge and fix issues.

Off topic, but you may have missed the window for this. After the lawsuit was settled in April, the terms changed and having the campaign completed now may not make you eligible for the lifetime warranty.

Yes, there was a deadline for getting the software update per the lawsuit communications I received. However that said, with the exception of the very early failures, Hyundai has stood behind these motors.

Nevertheless I got rid of my Sonata, wife hated my manual transmission and wanted something bigger. So I sold it and bought another vehicle with a trouble prone engine, a Ford 5.4 3V. LOL

Yeah, and based on what I've read on these and other forums, that longblock replacement is done without question, regardless of miles or number of owners--that's pretty good support!

So, it's all set. Looks like there were a couple of other recalls that we never received letters for as well. We bought the car new and have been in the same house for 23 years, so not sure why we never received them.

They completed the KSDS software update (PI1802B). I had my wife inquire and she confirmed the long block is warrantied.
They also updated the AEB software under recall SA400 and replaced the intake hose assembly under recall SA303a. I looked that up, and apparently the hose can melt where it attaches to the turbo. Fortunately, my wife spends most of her commute in "Eco" mode and ours was still intact.

So, it's all set. Looks like there were a couple of other recalls that we never received letters for as well. We bought the car new and have been in the same house for 23 years, so not sure why we never received them.

They completed the KSDS software update (PI1802B). I had my wife inquire and she confirmed the long block is warrantied.
They also updated the AEB software under recall SA400 and replaced the intake hose assembly under recall SA303a. I looked that up, and apparently the hose can melt where it attaches to the turbo. Fortunately, my wife spends most of her commute in "Eco" mode and ours was still intact.
It sounds like you'll be all set going forward!

Back