'19 F-150 3.5EB, 14.4k HPL No VII Euro 5w30

1st time running the No VII Euro, so I figured I'd take an in-service sample from the Stahlbus valve I installed at last oil change. How convenient! Going to roll these out to all my other vehicles even though it's essentially $50/per.

Anyways, back to the sample. Looks like just under 2ppm Fe/1k, and we know from @RDY4WAR that this oil has Al in the virgin form (I'm going to get the OA from my specific batch if possible), and that viscosity has crept up just a little; it's on the lower edge of a 40 grade now. Still have plenty of TBN at 7.8. Also of interest, AFAIK WearCheck uses GC for fuel %, and my sample was <1.0% with 0.1% soot. This result is even with a 5 Star Tuning tune on it... I generally run at least E15 (UNL88) when available, and when I'm near a Casey's or Sunoco, I will mix up something close to E30. Not sure what the copper is, and if it's even a concern, since older UOAs were in the 8-10 range and the Universal Average for Cu on Blackstone is 16ppm.

Where I need some advice, @wwillson or @dnewton3, is the nitration, oxidation & sulfation. They are all slightly above the "limits" but were not flagged- I colored them yellow for visibility; at what point is the actual concern? Also, I see my silicon is a little high (but was at 21ppm 50k miles ago with the same filter); this will be remedied at next OCI since air filter now has about 58k and 3.5 years on it. I will be going with the S&B dry filter for my CAI.

Still waiting to hear back from @High Performance Lubricants on a couple questions, but what's the consensus? Continue to run this oil & re-sample at 20k, or drain now at ~15k? Last note, my very first Fram Endurance 10575 is still along for the ride; now over 22k miles. It will change with the oil, and C&P once that's done. Anyways, hoping this and future UOAs can help to change the (false) mentality that 3.5 EcoBoosts are a "5k or else" affair...

SAMPLE INFORMATIONUnit of MeasurementReject LimitResult
Sample Date03 May 2024
Machine Agemiles82988
Oil Agemiles14394
Oil ChangedNot Changed
CONTAMINATION
Fuel>4.0<1.0
Water>0.2NEG
GlycolNEG
WEAR METALS
Ironppm>15029
Chromiumppm>20<1
Nickelppm>50
Titaniumppm<1
Silverppm>20
Aluminumppm>4015
Leadppm>500
Copperppm>15511
Tinppm>10<1
Vanadiumppm0
Cadmiumppm0
ADDITIVES
Boronppm20053
Bariumppm3
Molybdenumppm85732
Manganeseppm4
Magnesiumppm5251162
Calciumppm43002381
Phosphorusppm1000862
Zincppm1100991
Sulfurppm202007511
CONTAMINANTS
Siliconppm>3025
Sodiumppm>40010
Potassiumppm>201
INFRA-RED
Soot %%0.1
NitrationAbs/cm>2021.6
SulfationAbs/.1mm>3055.9
FLUID DEGRADATION
OxidationAbs/.1mm>2548.1
Base Number (BN)mg KOH/g11.07.78
VISUAL
White MetalscalarNONENONE
Yellow MetalscalarNONENONE
PrecipitatescalarNONENONE
SiltscalarNONENONE
DebrisscalarNONENONE
Sand/DirtscalarNONENONE
AppearancescalarNORMLNORML
OdorscalarNORMLNORML
Emulsified Waterscalar>0.2NEG
Free WaterscalarNEG
FLUID PROPERTIES
Visc @ 100°CcSt11.1912.7

Post Script: Here's some nuggets for everyone who thinks that lower mileage OCIs are a holy grail... Everyone remembers Navi, who enjoys 3-5k maximum OCIs because otherwise, his EBs are going to die a horrible death, right? Well, I grabbed a couple of his older UOAs and my old Ravenol UOA and crunched some numbers. At the bottom, I also summed up Navi's 4 runs since they came out in almost identical mileage to this single HPL run as a comparison.

Even with the Al "skew" from the virgin HPL, on a per 1k mile basis, my engine is making 12% less aluminum, 30% less iron, and 35% less copper. Or, to look at it another way, four oil changes (cost, time, inconvenience, etc...) vs. one and you'd still end up with more average wear. Thoughts?
1715813821193.jpg

Where I need some advice, @wwillson or @dnewton3, is the nitration, oxidation & sulfation.
I have talked to Wearcheck about the oxidation value. If you don't have an oxidation baseline of the virgin oil, then the oxidation value on this UOA is useless. The virgin oxidation value is likely somewhere around 30, the normalized oxidation of this sample is probably around 18, which is far less than the condemnation value of 25. I believe Wearcheck's oxidation limit of 25 is reasonable, but I did run the Durango oxidation value up to 27.1 and 45, but 45 is really pushing it and I don't encourage that.

As for nitration and sulfation, I have no clue and don't pay any attention to those values.

Last edited:
For the sake of experimentation, it'd be interesting to repeat this test using a different oil, but find a way of accurately tracking the oxidation value.

I wasn't able to find a VOA sample of M1 EP 0W20 with an oxidation value, but if we assumed that it had a starting oxidation value of mid single digits, this was around 15pt change in almost 19K miles. So, pretty similar to your results.

@SubieRubyRoo thanks for this. FWIW, I ran Valvoline Cummins PB Restore multiple times in my EB3.5 (gen 1); the Virgin oxy for it was 141, and UOAs had it between 124-136 for multiple 7500-9700 mile runs. I have no idea if it dipped then rose again. Virgin Nitration was 7, and the guy who turned me onto this oil didn’t like it if it UOA’d over 13-14. It hit 15 a few times, and 19 once, so he would recommend I change it out. Virgin sulfation was 110, and usually UOA’d 98-102, but was 129 one time.

Different oil than your HPL NoVII, but “that guy” said it would easily go beyond 10K, though when results came in, he would usually condemn the fill. Fuel was 3%-5%, >5 once or twice. One time, he let me “extend its life” by swapping in a couple qts M1 ESP. Of course, I probably pushed back on adding more VPBR at the UOA, as the 3-gal cases were perfect for 2x fills (6 qts each). PITA to buy it back then, and now $100/gal is considered “acceptable” if extended drains are possible, but back then I thought $75/gal was absurd…still, I did it…and results were considerably better than PUP, or subsequent QSFS or Castrol Edge.

Also, most wear metals results were great, but copper was always high at 18-26 ppm, and the 9700 run yielded 37 Cu (from OAI instead of TestOil/Dyson).

I will DM you with a question, if you don’t mind.

Back