17,000-mile results are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are chugging along now.
smile.gif

http://oilstudy.spacebears.com

Viscosity went back down, sparing us another round of discussion.

TBN also went down, 4.0 old method and 1.9 new method.

Wear for iron and lead is markedly up, after a long period of being fairly flat.

Insolubles is again at a level to trigger an oil filter change.

Faced with a sharply declined TBN, sharply increased wear, and a filter change, I'm inclined to end it at 18,000.

If I change the filter, it'll hit the one-year cap for sure. But that's only 6 weeks away.

Thoughts/advice/ridicule?

Cheers, 3MP

quote:

Originally posted by 3 Mad Ponchos:
Things are chugging along now.
smile.gif

http://oilstudy.spacebears.com

Viscosity went back down, sparing us another round of discussion.

TBN also went down, 4.0 old method and 1.9 new method.

Wear for iron and lead is markedly up, after a long period of being fairly flat.

Insolubles is again at a level to trigger an oil filter change.

Faced with a sharply declined TBN, sharply increased wear, and a filter change, I'm inclined to end it at 18,000.

If I change the filter, it'll hit the one-year cap for sure. But that's only 6 weeks away.

Thoughts/advice/ridicule?

Cheers, 3MP

Hi,

It looks like TBN is crashing just like Terry
predicted. If this were my car, I'd
flush the oil right away
wink.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

I agree with J, dump it and move on. I wouldn't put the car through anymore.
cheers.gif

Hi,
3MP - it all lokks pretty good really. I would give it another 1k.
Those wear metals and the TBN look good too
Some makers flag 150ppm for iron. Do you know what it is for your engine?

Please contact me off here when you get a chance

Regards

I think it's time. Run it to 18k and take the final sample. Then it's onto Amsoil! Are you doing a 1000 mile buffer or a 2000 mile buffer in between?

Ah **** go for the 1 year mark. The bottom hasn't totally fallen out on this oil.

What procedures are you going to take between the M1 and the Amsoil? Are you going to Auto-RX/131/ run some thin oil?

Great Work!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

This has been truly educational. But I for one would like to see us move on to Amsoil. I think it will be very interesting to see how the numbers shake out with the two oils.

I was hoping to see this oil gradually age. This would make a much easier decision. But instead we've seen some really weird things happen with this oil. The lead is up, but no more that it has jumped in a 1000 mile interval before. It jumped 5ppm in the first 1000 miles - and then between 10k and 12k it jumped a total of 9 points - so this 5 ppm jump deosn't concern me too much. The iron is another story - 12 ppm in 1000 miles with no increase in the previous 2 samples. This seem like alot but no more than the first 3000 miles of the test. The insolubles also dropped back to 0.4% before the filter change so this may happen again.

I'm not gonna tell you to keep it going. I wouldn't go much beyond the 18,000 mile marker with this oil if it was my car. I'm with everybody else - dump the oil at 18k (with a sample) and start the Amsoil. A new air filter may also be due with the new oil - the silicon has been acting kinda weird too - over all and increase of 10ppm over 17k miles isn't bad.

Good news - Amsoil will see similar ambient tempuratures (winter & summer) to the Mobil1.

Excuse my ignorance; but I love my car too much to do something like that to it.
3MP, I
patriot.gif
you for what you have done, but I think you introduce too many variables by changing the oil so often. If I had it "my" way, I would have done a 10k run....testing at 5k, 7k and then 10k and ending the test as soon as I felt unconfortable. The fact of the matter is that most of us don't go that far on any oil. It's too risky for me to even think about it, espeacially with the winters you guys have up-there.
Anyway, that is your car and you do as you wish....I was merely expresing my opinion.
Rick

I'm not sure what you stand to gain by pushing it for 6 more weeks. You have probably exceeded the number of miles some of our members would drive in a year, so for them it is a moot point...they could indeed confidently expect an annual interval with UOAs. I say press on to the next victim...er...test subject.

Two points proven:

1) You didn't do any harm to your car. You could do a good flush and put some fresh oil in and your car would not be the wiser. You could drop out of BITOG, pull your site and move. Sell your car and go back to 3K and dino...you get my point. I hope.

2) Any decent synthetic could keep chugging on with your 1K sampling plan.

I'd say you got your money's worth. Well minus the $20x18 for analysis part....
shocked.gif

[ September 23, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Not show off, really. I predict it will be much of the same. Viscosity thickening, wear about the same...yeah and 3MP will grenade his car and everyone will bag Amsoil
shocked.gif

I went 20K with the same oil, my wear was so low it just isn't going to be that low with a push-rod V8!

It is so important to start any extended drain with a very clean engine. Can you imagine doing this with a super scuzzy engine? That would really nail the oil. Yet, unscrupulous Amsoil dealers do it all the time, just put it in and drive....weird thing the engines do survive...so I guess it works.

[ September 23, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Change the oil out, thats too nice of a engine to cause undo wear when the oil "crashes".

Terry

By Pablo;
quote:

1) You didn't do any harm to your car. You could do a good flush and put some fresh oil in and your car would not be the wiser. You could drop out of BITOG, pull your site and move. Sell your car and go back to 3K and dino...you get my point. I hope.

Are you sure he didn't do any damage? If so, why do a flush?
This is exactly why I'm not for this very long intervals.....I don't like the idea of having soot and dirt circulating throughoutthe engine over and over.....that stuff will probably accumulate somewhere over time. I believe 5-6k mile OCI would be my max...if that much....at that rate I would have no fear of deposists, low TBN and so on and so on.

by Terry
quote:

Change the oil out, thats too nice of a engine to cause undo wear when the oil "crashes".

Exactly my point!

Rick

3MP, look at your moly and boron depletion. I could be wrong, but it looks like these AW/EP additives are having to carry more of the load now. My vote is to dump this oil at 18,000 and let the UOA at that point be the final word on Mobil 1 for this test.

quote:

Are you sure he didn't do any damage? If so, why do a flush?

I believe the flush, in this case, is to make sure all of the Mobil 1 is out before the Amsoil is put in. The whole point is to make sure the performance is based on the new oil only without the old oil playing any part.

LOL.....does an engine flush fix "damage??"

crushedcar.gif

Just wondering if a 1k or 2k flush is done - should the oil used for the flush be the same as the next oil to be tested in the rotation so as to prevent possible additive clash?

Amsoil flush then run Amsoil
Redline flush then run Redline
etc.

Or just a good dino and a couple hundred miles with Neutra at the end.

[ September 24, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: springnr ]

I would also change it out. The M1 has proven it's self here. I would do a quick 1,000 mile run of Amsoil and then start the next test! Keep up the excellent work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back