16K on M1 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
One day he'll do one for us, as I'm not too worried.

Those trucks are not hard on oil anyways, and unless it came out thick or in lumps, the truck will survive.....

If my co-worker can run 10k on service pro syn blend (what his shop uses) whenever he feels like changing it, and his Nissan does not burn a drop at 102k, I'm thinking M1 can handle it.

Now if we change the engine to a DI or turbo one, that would be a different story....

The only issue I see with the OCI is if the oil level dropped significantly and none was added. Driving around with 2 qts in the sump during the last 4K of that interval=trouble. Otherwise, I don't see the big deal.

As far as a UOA, yeah--this run is long enough that it could reasonably useful. But while visible condition may not tell you much if the oil looks "bad", it's hard to imagine an oil being long past it's life if it "looks good". Besides, let's get real: the one drop test on a 16K run probably makes more sense than a UOA on a 4 to 6K run, which seems to comprise the majority of UOA's. What do people really learn from those? Not much, it's just entertainment (which is fine!). So, I don't see a reason for hand-wringing in this case unless the level ran down.

I wonder how the TBN and TAN was at 16K; would be interesting to see just for grins and giggles. With the dropping of prices at WM, M1 is one of the best deals for a synthetic around (if that is your bag).
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: buster
Without a UOA, this means nothing.
wink.gif

You guys are really hung up on UOAs. Actually I find them to be a waste of $ with only a few exceptions. I have friends that do 15 to 20 K OCIs with M1 5-30 and have never done a UOA. In fact never heard of it.

That's ridiculous. You just blindly think it's ok without actually testing the oil?
21.gif

Waste of money? It's only $25.

Originally Posted By: buster
Without a UOA, this means nothing.
wink.gif

You guys are really hung up on UOAs. Actually I find them to be a waste of $ with only a few exceptions. I have friends that do 15 to 20 K OCIs with M1 5-30 and have never done a UOA. In fact never heard of it.

I agree that UOAs are over-rated and rarely tell us something meaningful.

"looks good, try 6k next time" gets parroted over and over.

I was with my son in law today when he changed the oil in his 2010 Infinity full size SUV. He uses M1 5-30. Well, time and mileage got away from him and this OCI went up to 16K+ and 16 months since the last change. He changes it himself and shoots for 10K. Actually the oil still looked good and we did a One Drop test and the drop looked fine.

Trolling.gif
He got all of you really good on this one! Lots of undies is a bunch.

If the car didn't suffer a nuclear metldown and his son gets whatever useful life he is shooting for out of said vehicle, let it be the next person's problem if this extra long OCI caused any harm (and I'm not saying that it did or didn't - can't tell without a teardown and inspection). Isn't that how we operate in the US now? It's the next guy's problem?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
tig1 said:
I was with my son in law today when he changed the oil in his 2010 Infinity full size SUV. He uses M1 5-30. Well, time and mileage got away from him and this OCI went up to 16K+ and 16 months since the last change. He changes it himself and shoots for 10K. Actually the oil still looked good and we did a One Drop test and the drop looked fine.

Trolling.gif
He got all of you really good on this one! Lots of undies is a bunch.

If the car didn't suffer a nuclear metldown and his son gets whatever useful life he is shooting for out of said vehicle, let it be the next person's problem if this extra long OCI caused any harm (and I'm not saying that it did or didn't - can't tell without a teardown and inspection). Isn't that how we operate in the US now? It's the next guy's problem?[/quote

My son in law normally does 10K OCIs as I do, but time and mileage got away from him. The engine still looks good through the oil fill hole so no sludge, which is typical for M1 oils, even on very long OCIs. He uses M1 oils in all of his engines and changes them himself. He has a MB SL 500, MB S3??,a GMC conversion van, a Ford F 350 V 10 with a dump bed, a GMC 2500 contractors pick up, the Infinity SUV, and a 69 Camaro convertable. So you can see OCIs are not the most important thing to him. He also realizes that with M1 oil he has a very large forgiveness window without worry that his engines may suffer for it.

Tigster.. Knowing that you've only used M1 exclusively since the Vietnam pullout... I use more than one oil, so I can tell you...

YES, M1 is noisy in some engines (like a thin skinned all-aluminum Toyota 2AZ-FE with plastic intake manifolds and vvt-i). PU, PP is quieter.

NO, M1 not Amsoil. Not PAO from the 70's either. It starts to take a turn around 10k. Sticky, reddish looking on the stick. Hydrocracked, its had enough.

I like M1 HM even though its louder. Cause I don't have to replace gaskets to run syn. 10k its had it no matter what I use for filters, etc. PU and PP seems to do the same according to the eyeball (what you use). For all 3 10k is about it IMO.

As long as it looks good through the fill hole and passed the drop test, on a napkin, tell him to run it out for another 10K...then resample.

That is all and well, but as I stated in your one drop test thread past performance is not indicitive of future results. Anything can happen in an OCI, it doesn't matter that the last 15 10k miles OCI were all normal. Hard parts can fail immediately and catastophically, and the last OCI or UOA might not have given any clues to the failure.

In other words, I can go out and start robbing banks to make money and maybe I don't get caught right away. But it really only takes one bad job to make the rest of my life pretty miserable. (I sure hope that PRISM doesn't see this post)

This holds true for any length of OCI, so I say that 10k is just an arbitrary number picked because it is a nice round multiple.

Apparently since it's Mobil 1 there is no need to change it till the engine fails to turn over or it belches huge glops of sludge from the fill hole.

crazy2.gif

Seriously I just said some real nice things about M1 on the F-150 thread and I don't even like the stuff. But I am seriously doubting that a UOA would show anything other than it was totally SHOT.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Apparently since it's Mobil 1 there is no need to change it till the engine fails to turn over or it belches huge glops of sludge from the fill hole.

crazy2.gif

Seriously I just said some real nice things about M1 on the F-150 thread and I don't even like the stuff. But I am seriously doubting that a UOA would show anything other than it was totally SHOT.

01.gif

Sorry folks,I had this discussion this morning about the "oil drop test" with some engine builders I know and I'll tell you one comment that was said of what they thought:

"They wouldnt be using me as their engine builder again,period"

The other 2 guys,I wont be able to type out their response here as it'll be censored.
smirk.gif

This is a great forum but when things like this are brought up,sorry I wont and will never put much faith in things metnioned like a "drop test" to determine if an oil is in good shape or not.Engines are expensive no matter if they are street driven vehicles or track driven.Taking this sort of gamble is not worth it at all,period.

Exactly.
Looking at the oil's color, feeling its texture or sniffing it tell you nothing.
The "one drop" test may tell that it isn't too badly oxidized, but a UOA will tell you exactly what it sheared to, how much it's oxidized as well as what TBN and TAN are.
These are all useful things to know if you want a snapshot of the engine's health as well as a proper guide to how long you can run a given oil in your car as you use it.
A drop of oil on a piece of paper tells you none of the important things about how well it held up.
Having written the above, I suspect that the oil was fine, as would have been the case with almost any synthetic labeled oil you can name, as well as some conventionals.
We have a mod here who's been using the black art of statistical analysis as well as UOAs of his own long runs in an effort to show that any current API spec oil will hold up a whole lot longer in service than most of us would have dreamed possible.
This is hardly exclusive to M1, or even synthetic labeled oils.
This thread may have begun as half-baked celebration of the mystical properties of M1, but there is a point here that goes well beyond the label on the oil used in this case.
Walmart does have M1 at a real value price, though.
After QSUD, it's the cheapest synthetic labeled oil you can use, and even the coveted 0W-40 and 15W-50 are $22.47 in five quart jugs.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Besides, let's get real: the one drop test on a 16K run probably makes more sense than a UOA on a 4 to 6K run, which seems to comprise the majority of UOA's.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
...past performance is not indicitive of future results.
Not always, but it very often is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back