`16 Suburban OLM never tripped due to time

Originally Posted by electricmarquis
Yup, 250k is a common achievement with GM 5.3l. Plus with its powerband, upper RPMs are hardly touched.

Lifespan is entirely dependent on use.
People hauler - sure.

When used in a truck as a tow vehicle towing from So cal to the colorado river and lakes - Ive seen more clapped out 5.3's than any other mill.
When they spend a good chunk of time revving lifespan drops significantly.
Being a partner in a boat shop I get to know owners and their trucks, and I see this combo a lot.

This from just last week....

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Yup, 250k is a common achievement with GM 5.3l. Plus with its powerband, upper RPMs are hardly touched.

People hauler - sure.

When used in a truck as a tow vehicle towing from So cal to the colorado river and lakes - Ive seen more clapped out 5.3's than any other mill.
Being a partner in a boat shop I get to know owners and their trucks, and I see this combo a lot.

[Linked Image]

When you say "clapped out" what are the failure modes?

Originally Posted by 4WD

And if you do step on it … they move some oil.
Mine went from 40 psi to 75 psi when passing a car yesterday …

My 2005 4.8 with 200k miles also hits 75psi at 5500 rpm. 31psi at idle, over 50 at 2000 IIRC.

Originally Posted by nascarnation

People hauler - sure.

[Linked Image]

When you say "clapped out" what are the failure modes?

In terms of outright failures I see lifters go on them and AFM issues.

More so than outright failures are terrible leak downs, using oil, low compression, classic smoky startups, failure to pass smog, cracked manifolds - that kind of stuff.

Towing through the desert in 120 degree heat through and up the hills (both ways) the Naturally aspirated trucks are forced to spend lots of time turning high RPM 3000+ for hours at a time on the routes to and from the popular water destinations.

Davis dam road is a very common tow path for so cal trucks to tow boats over - this is the j2807 test hill known for its brutality. The other hills around are nearly as bad.

About 10 years/ 150K is where I see the 5.3's start to go when used for this kind of duty.

When used as people movers primarily, they last a lot longer.

UD

Wonder what percentage of the nation that is ?
Cracked manifolds and majority of AFM is the old design … pre 2014
Manifolds were updated with new design heads …
The current torque profile is both higher and earlier too …
(the internet guy is older vintage) …
Personally … I'd own a 2500 not just for driveline … but for overall load control in hills/mountains … some (former) F150 owners I know have learned this.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
"I" found the best thing to do with an OLM is ignore it, opinions vary.
27.gif
Recently mine would have me changing oil in under 2K miles when driving conditions were exactly the same as they have been for the past 6 or so years. UOA data showed me had I followed the OLM when it was giving more realistic readings the oil would have been in use too long. Get a UOA or two after what you feel is a reasonable OCI based on use, and implement your OCI based on that.

Did you post the UOA results showing you would have gone too long?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Wonder what percentage of the nation that is ?
Cracked manifolds and majority of AFM is the old design … pre 2014
Manifolds were updated with new design heads …
The current torque profile is both higher and earlier too …
(the internet guy is older vintage) …
Personally … I'd own a 2500 not just for driveline … but for overall load control in hills/mountains … some (former) F150 owners I know have learned this.

Probably small, but it happens to be a % I see all the time.

I see plenty of other clapped out trucks as well, typically needing a top end job, valve guides, lifters. Tritons have chain stretch issues....

Some guys overload 1/2 tons, but I don't see that too often. I see blown trans as well. One of the guys in our shop toasted his Dmax towing a 32, when do you hear about that happening?

3/4 tons have better load control but ride horribly unloaded plus I don't think you need a 3/4 ton truck for a 6-7500 lb load, although there are guys that insist on a one ton dually to tow a coleman pop up.

When it comes to trucks that tow regularly through the high desert they can and do wear out.

UD

People hauler - sure.

[Linked Image]

Now that my high RPM misfire fixed itself I have no hesitation to take my 292k mile 01 5.3 to 5k rpm or the speed governor. I'm cinfident I'm going to make it to 300k. Hopefully 500k
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dogememe

People hauler - sure.

[Linked Image]

Now that my high RPM misfire fixed itself I have no hesitation to take my 292k mile 01 5.3 to 5k rpm or the speed governor. I'm cinfident I'm going to make it to 300k. Hopefully 500k
smile.gif

I have a friend who went 420k on his 2000 4.8, he only towed a small trailer occasionally, but he hit redline all the time just for the fun of it. The truck still ran fine, but rusted out.

When BiL reached 400k with his … the worst wear was the drivers seat. ...·

I've got all kinds of high mile stories as well. Half million mile small blocks are common.

Just about any engine can attain high miles, how tight and fresh it at those miles is a different story.

Many of those high mile engines are gross polluters and or consumers of oil - the odometer tells one story- a leak down test another.

UD

I think many are not 100% safe at that stage … front end and brake components come to mind.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I think many are not 100% safe at that stage … front end and brake components come to mind.

Yeah very few get maintained as they should, it simply gets prohibitively expensive, and unless you can do a lot of it yourself you end up 90K into a 40K rig.

UD

Originally Posted by 4WD
When BiL reached 400k with his … the worst wear was the drivers seat. ...·

This guy's was the steering wheel. It literally had chunks missing from it. He put a cover on it.

If I was doing heavy towing through hilly terrain, or autocross or the driving I did when I was 16-25ish, any kind of really high stress driving I would be running redline or amsoil ss or other top tier oil in a 10w40 or similar and probably still changing it at 3-4k miles. It's definitely not the same kind of usage as driving along the highway at 70mph on cruise at 1800rpm with no load.

Back