16 million barrels per day

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's approx. how many barrels of crude refined in the U.S. each day.if one barrel equates to roughly 45% gas and 1.2% lubricants how can extending or monitoring OCI's save oil? demand would be less but the supply would increase.also this is an inelastic demand, you can't make your own.this would result in an upward price spike we are already seeing. the backside impact on the environment would be the same just delayed.I think this is why we see these major oil give-aways(rebates) every now and then.can we consume 192,000 barrels of Motor oil per day based on a ratio of gas used compared to miles driven? this does not take into consideration the impact of true synthetics either.

"demand would be less but the supply would increase."

Isn't that what makes prices drop? Or am I missing something?

But practically, oil changes aren't the main reason for gas prices, gasoline usage is.

John

The biggest issue is that while gasoline and diesel can be completely combusted into CO2 and water (well.. nearly), a fully additized motor oil will not only not combust well, but produce all sorts of inorganic wastes, ash, etc when it burns.

So the increase in OCIs is not so much to save oil (not sure where youve gotten that one from), but to reduce the pollutants that enter the environment. I read somewhere that 40% of waste oil is poured into the ground. Only a relatively small amount is burned (not that good), recycled (good for some uses), etc.

JMH

Originally Posted By: John_K

While demand in terms of quantity decreases, the oil itself is still as essential as when there was demand for more oil. Therefore the price will not decrease, but can be expected to actually rise, because the producer of the product must maintain or increase profit while selling less product.

Quote:
how can extending or monitoring OCI's save oil?

That's just an excuse these guys use to get out of changing oil.

32.gif

I can see you're trying to conserve on usage of your shift key and space bar.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I read somewhere that 40% of waste oil is poured into the ground. Only a relatively small amount is burned (not that good), recycled (good for some uses), etc.

Well, isn't the ground where the oil came from in the first place?
28.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: John_K

While demand in terms of quantity decreases, the oil itself is still as essential as when there was demand for more oil. Therefore the price will not decrease, but can be expected to actually rise, because the producer of the product must maintain or increase profit while selling less product.

I'd say that it's more along the line of increased costs due to infinite demand for the gasoline and other fuel components of the raw product. The alternative is to not refine/additize it and then "do what with it?". Store it? Throw it away? It essentially then becomes a very useful, but unneeded, co-product ...byproduct..waste product that needs to be managed at high costs. It's probably the main driving component of all the mega-tons of plastic junk that takes up space in the average home of a WM junkie ..and why recycling is mostly a joke.

G-Oil needs to forget the HTO (human to oil) research and focus on HTF technology instead ..cutting out the lube co-products of petroleum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back