16 hp inteck burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has a simplicity broad moore with a 16 hp inteck engine. Most come with vanguards. I have a broodmoore myself witha 14 hp Vanguard and it has lots more hours and does not use a drop of oil.

This 16 has about 230 hours and when we mow it takes a bout 1.5 hours and the oil is always low. I have to add to it every time. I cant find any leaks though it looks to leak just a little bit around the valve covers. Nothing severe though. It does not smoke so where is the oil going?

This is frustrating to say the least. We are using 30 weight briggs oil and Im not sure who makes it but I dont even think that matters. Did we just get a bad one? Sometimes, engines will just use oil but will run forever. I have been a part of that in the past. It was with a 200 cid Ford straight six of all things.

I just need advice and opinions. Thanks. This has me stumpted to say the least. Why does on engine use oil and other doesnt????

The Vanguard is made by Dhaitsu in Japan and is a commercial engine with a sticker on it that say "Briggs & Stratton". More in line with kawasaki and Honda commercial engines.

The Intek has been very problem prone through the years and Briggs redesigned it this year from the ground up. The now call the them the "Extended Life XRD" series engines. They are no longer calling them Intec engines.

In the Briggs Intec manual it states that the engine may use an ounce of oil... per cylinder...per hour.

They are built to loose tolerances to begin with and as they get old all you can do it check the oil everytime of use.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
..This 16 has about 230 hours and when we mow it takes a bout 1.5 hours and the oil is always low. I have to add to it every time. I cant find any leaks though it looks to leak just a little bit around the valve covers. Nothing severe though. It does not smoke...

Given what you describe, I'd run an inexpensive 15w40 and see if that curtails the consumption.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back