'16 Honda Pilot 72,357mi, Shell RGT 0w20 3,646mi UOA

The only thing that stands out at all to me is the oil seems more spent than it should at 3600 miles. I would expect Amsoil to have more TBN left at that mileage. And Boron is depleting
edit: sorry, I saw Amsoil on the report but you said it's Shell RGT. My bad.
I’m using the tail end of the “RGT blowout” jugs in my Jeep …
Based on CarbonSteel’s runs in the Grinch - doing 5K only …
(TBN retention) …
Never did put any in my GDI engines …

^^^
+1
The rattling is probably loose timing chain components that tighten up after some pressure is applied. I know the old Nissan's were common in this area. It's nice to see RGT is still around.
Ain't got one. I was not impressed with RGT when I ran it in a Subaru.

Well, for what it’s worth, got in the car yesterday after my wife got back home, and couldn’t replicate the noise. I don’t know. I guess we’ll keep driving the thing for now. New front brakes coming on this week (high speed braking shudder is unbearable).
Don't rule out loose H-Damper or some other accessory drive racket. I recall going after an engine knock in a AMC Javelin, then it ended up being a cracked AT flexplate - I don't think that is your noise source here.

If it's occurring under load, don't rule out spark knock

Don't rule out loose H-Damper or some other accessory drive racket. I recall going after an engine knock in a AMC Javelin, then it ended up being a cracked AT flexplate - I don't think that is your noise source here.

If it's occurring under load, don't rule out spark knock
It’s really a guess game at this point. Apparently this is a known issue for all models (Odysseys, RLs) that employ this engine - plenty of owners reported on various forums with no definitive root cause and solutions determined. I will likely be replacing timing component later this summer, and hopefully it will solve the issue (I’m doubtful though). The car has been taken care of too well, feel bad getting rid of it..

Well, for what it’s worth, got in the car yesterday after my wife got back home, and couldn’t replicate the noise. I don’t know. I guess we’ll keep driving the thing for now. New front brakes coming on this week (high speed braking shudder is unbearable).
Good news! I'm going to try 5w-20 PPU in my 4 cylinder Camry this summer. Fyi my, city driving, Camry need front brakes, only, at 53,000 mis. $250 at the dealer.

It’s really a guess game at this point. Apparently this is a known issue for all models (Odysseys, RLs) that employ this engine - plenty of owners reported on various forums with no definitive root cause and solutions determined. I will likely be replacing timing component later this summer, and hopefully it will solve the issue (I’m doubtful though). The car has been taken care of too well, feel bad getting rid of it..
Curious what timing component? A cam or crank position sensor?

Curious what timing component? A cam or crank position sensor?
I meant to say timing belt componentS, like timing belt, tensioner, pulleys etc. I’m almost at 7yrs on the vehicle, so I guess it’s time for timing belt service. Sorry for confusion

I meant to say timing belt componentS, like timing belt, tensioner, pulleys etc. I’m almost at 7yrs on the vehicle, so I guess it’s time for timing belt service. Sorry for confusion
NP. Pro-to-pro chatter timing components = belt or chain and any tensioner(s) guides or silent sprockets then possibly water pump.
I just don't know who is pro or client on here. - Ken

Back