'16 Honda Pilot 72,357mi, Shell RGT 0w20 3,646mi UOA

Below is the UOA results for my '16 Pilot. I haven't had the UOA done for quite some time, but after noticing rattling/knocking sounds (i think I've been hearing them for 2-3 years now but haven't been paying attention) at low rpm/load, I've decided to go ahead and get the oil tested. Oil in use was 5qt of 0w20 Shell RGT and 0.5 qt of Mobil Super (all those oils from good old days at 0.50$/qt). Oil was in use for around 3 months.

As @The Critic mentioned, the cause of the knocking/rattling sounds maybe main bearing issue, but I'm not qualified to judge if the UOA results proves this theory wrong or at least minimizes the likelihood of it being valid. Anyhow, if yall have any feedback or suggestion, please feel free t comment. Thanks

Attachments

• UOA.JPG
    UOA.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 160
^^^
+1
The rattling is probably loose timing chain components that tighten up after some pressure is applied. I know the old Nissan's were common in this area. It's nice to see RGT is still around.

A main bearing issue on a Honda V6 with only 70K? Doubtful.
Yes, sounds buzzarre. Although going through hundreds of posts on Ody/RL forums, some people with similar issue have had a new short block out in..which didn’t solve the issue for the most. I guess this still is a mystery

The only thing that stands out at all to me is the oil seems more spent than it should at 3600 miles. I would expect Amsoil to have more TBN left at that mileage. And Boron is depleting
edit: sorry, I saw Amsoil on the report but you said it's Shell RGT. My bad.

It's a thing with GDI versions of the J35.
Genuine question: have you had any J35s diagnosed yourself with this issue? If so, what year and mileage were those engines, and what symptoms did they have?

Genuine question: have you had any J35s diagnosed yourself with this issue? If so, what year and mileage were those engines, and what symptoms did they have?
Is that #5 sample Amsoil? Looks like it based on tbn and abs/cm.

Last edited:
I would disable the VCM with SVCM device. Keeps all six cylinders firing. At 60% and at 20% olm I run a bottle of Redline SL1. 53K on the 19 Pilot. I run Amsoil SS and XL 0W20. I follow the olm. No noises that I can hear.

Personally no, but have friends at dealers who are seeing this on a regular basis. More on the Acura side than on the Honda side, but it does exist. There are a few threads about it over on the various Pilot forums.

Below is the UOA results for my '16 Pilot. I haven't had the UOA done for quite some time, but after noticing rattling/knocking sounds (i think I've been hearing them for 2-3 years now but haven't been paying attention) at low rpm/load, I've decided to go ahead and get the oil tested. Oil in use was 5qt of 0w20 Shell RGT and 0.5 qt of Mobil Super (all those oils from good old days at 0.50$/qt). Oil was in use for around 3 months.

As @The Critic mentioned, the cause of the knocking/rattling sounds maybe main bearing issue, but I'm not qualified to judge if the UOA results proves this theory wrong or at least minimizes the likelihood of it being valid. Anyhow, if yall have any feedback or suggestion, please feel free t comment. Thanks
Try a 30 w oil. Noise/knocking ain't good. ymmv

I would disable the VCM with SVCM device. Keeps all six cylinders firing. At 60% and at 20% olm I run a bottle of Redline SL1. 53K on the 19 Pilot. I run Amsoil SS and XL 0W20. I follow the olm. No noises that I can hear.
I have been running SVCM for the past 1.5yr or around 20k miles. Said noise was present before the SVCM was installed...

Running 5w30 PPPP now, didn't really make that much of the difference as far as i can tell, unfortunately
Sorry the PP 5w-30 didn't make that much difference. You could next try PPU 5-30, it's slightly thicker than than the PP.

Sorry the PP 5w-30 didn't make that much difference. You could next try PPU 5-30, it's slightly thicker than than the PP.
Well, for what it’s worth, got in the car yesterday after my wife got back home, and couldn’t replicate the noise. I don’t know. I guess we’ll keep driving the thing for now. New front brakes coming on this week (high speed braking shudder is unbearable).

Reactions: 4WD
Back