'16 Big Turbo Golf R running Ethanol Blend

I do not understand how R does not come with ducts? That is crazy.
Seriously right? They are so cheap. I have them on my wagon...just needed a little modification for them to fit.

savagegeese.com has some great vids oils included, he notes oil temps as mentioned being important!! fake synthetics continue to thin a lot more past their tested viscosity spec @ 212F than a real synthetic like Redline + unless you pull the bearing caps you will never see what too thin oil does to them

savagegeese.com has some great vids oils included, he notes oil temps as mentioned being important!! fake synthetics continue to thin a lot more past their tested viscosity spec @ 212F than a real synthetic like Redline + unless you pull the bearing caps you will never see what too thin oil does to them
Last time I checked UOA's Redline thins out pretty dramatically too.

What kind of 1/4 mile time/trap do you get? To me, that's always an easy way to see what you are making in your conditions.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.55.56 AM.png

Don't have a solid 1/4 yet. This is my best but on less than optimal, bumpy road. 6400ft DA on this run. You can see by graph I had to lift right before hitting left hand sweeper, so trap speed is ridiculous due to my lift. I'm not at all a drag strip guy but I do plan to get it to Bandimere here in Denver to get a proper 1/4 time in Spring when it opens back up.
The #'s regardless won't be impressive vs sea level times. The DA/altitude up here just wrecks any cars times and power. Low 5k's on DA are the very best you can ever hope for here.
I can't imagine will turn much better than 11.2s maybe 11.1 if I'm lucky. Same car same mods at sea level this is a high 10's car.
Best 60-130 I have turned is 9.09. Again same car same mods at sea level would be lower-mid 8's on 60-130.

View attachment 40605

Don't have a solid 1/4 yet. This is my best but on less than optimal, bumpy road. 6400ft DA on this run. You can see by graph I had to lift right before hitting left hand sweeper, so trap speed is ridiculous due to my lift. I'm not at all a drag strip guy but I do plan to get it to Bandimere here in Denver to get a proper 1/4 time in Spring when it opens back up.
The #'s regardless won't be impressive vs sea level times. The DA/altitude up here just wrecks any cars times and power. Low 5k's on DA are the very best you can ever hope for here.
I can't imagine will turn much better than 11.2s maybe 11.1 if I'm lucky. Same car same mods at sea level this is a high 10's car.
Best 60-130 I have turned is 9.09. Again same car same mods at sea level would be lower-mid 8's on 60-130.
I am near sea level - I was always under the impression that forced-induction engines could compensate for elevation/lower air density by just pushing higher boost?

I am near sea level - I was always under the impression that forced-induction engines could compensate for elevation/lower air density by just pushing higher boost?
Nope, they compensate for lower pressure, but you cannot compensate for less oxygen. There is also boost limit. It is better then naturally aspirated vehicle, but not as good as sea level. Turbo lag is more obvious too, of course.
Naturally aspirated vehicles, count 3% drop for every 1,000ft and for turbo some 1.5-2%.
Real problem is cooling engines. At Pikes Peak engine with any small cooling issue will overheat at temperatures way below freezing. You should see during summer, tourist season, every half a mile there is someone with open hood.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.43.05 PM.png

unfortunately that's not the case. I mentioned both corrected and uncorrected dyno #'s in my original post. The standard correction #'s of 499whp are roughly what my car would throw down at sea level. 414whp is what my car does up here at altitude so less power = slower times.
Drag times site has a DA calculator too see how much DA impacts your 1/4 mile time. On the CO Dragy Leaderboard I took one example of a guy with a APR E85 Stage 2 Audi RS3 that did his 1/4 mile run in 11.06s @ 123.49mph @ 5852ft. That run at sea level would be ~10.7s @ 127.35mph according to the calculator...

@MSH

So, what oil are you going to run... haha
Still not 100% sure but the 5w-50 M1 looks like a strong contender. May just swing back to the Motul this car has been on most it's life with previous owner (although in 50w flavor), but I like the lower price of the M1.

May I ask, how does thicker oil lowers an oil temperature?
Looks like edyvw already chimed in and thankfully so cause I have no clue. I just know what I have heard/read on forums what they have experienced positive results with the heavier weight oils and lower temps

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 40668
unfortunately that's not the case. I mentioned both corrected and uncorrected dyno #'s in my original post. The standard correction #'s of 499whp are roughly what my car would throw down at sea level. 414whp is what my car does up here at altitude so less power = slower times.
Drag times site has a DA calculator too see how much DA impacts your 1/4 mile time. On the CO Dragy Leaderboard I took one example of a guy with a APR E85 Stage 2 Audi RS3 that did his 1/4 mile run in 11.06s @ 123.49mph @ 5852ft. That run at sea level would be ~10.7s @ 127.35mph according to the calculator...
Good stuff - I like to calc my power based on 1/4 ET and car weight (truck scale), lots of good online calculators or just use weight*((trap speed/234)^3) - effectively an uncorrected dyno number which is fine, that's actually what your car does where you drive it vs. corrected. Here's my calc'd power vs. DA from all my Dragy runs - all of my DA differences are temperature, elevation is the same/close for all runs. Blue is the smaller GTI turbo, orange is the R turbo. Included is my best 1/4 run...look at the DA! My car would be hurting up where you are and likely not crack into the 13s by my graph! The nice thing is, eveyrone is in the same boat so it's all relative anyway.
Screenshot_20210113-073434_dragy.jpg
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

likely

Reactions: MSH
View attachment 40668

Still not 100% sure but the 5w-50 M1 looks like a strong contender. May just swing back to the Motul this car has been on most it's life with previous owner (although in 50w flavor), but I like the lower price of the M1.

Looks like edyvw already chimed in and thankfully so cause I have no clue. I just know what I have heard/read on forums what they have experienced positive results with the heavier weight oils and lower temps
Check 15W50. It has more ZDDP and it is made specifically for track use. It is still API SN.
Though, I would use that only in summer.

Check 15W50. It has more ZDDP and it is made specifically for track use. It is still API SN.
Is the issue with some of this more HD oil that compared to your stock approved oils, it doesn't have the best additive pack for daily use so really is a thing you only run for track use?

Good stuff - I like to calc my power based on 1/4 ET and car weight (truck scale), lots of good online calculators or just use weight*((trap speed/234)^3) - effectively an uncorrected dyno number which is fine, that's actually what your car does where you drive it vs. corrected. Here's my calc'd power vs. DA from all my Dragy runs - all of my DA differences are temperature, elevation is the same/close for all runs. Blue is the smaller GTI turbo, orange is the R turbo. Included is my best 1/4 run...look at the DA! My car would be hurting up where you are and likely not crack into the 13s by my graph! The nice thing is, eveyrone is in the same boat so it's all relative anyway.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.28.53 AM.png

Nice man! I'm a data junkie so this is right up my alley. What's been the rough difference in spool between the IS20 and IS38 (i.e rpm you hit peak boost w/ each)? Seems like the IS38 may suffer a bit since the GSW/Alltracks have the 1.8 vs 2.0. We get hit hard on spool at elevation as well which is reason Ed @ EQT tends to recommend the smaller standard (IS20 based) housing on their Vortex vs the XL (IS38 based) housing.
I hit peak boost (30psi) @ 3350-3400rpm w/ the standard housing up here, which is where the XL housing typically hits peak boost at sea level.

Edit - almost forgot took a look at your youtube channel. The Passat sounds like a beast with the exhaust! I love the R but the exhaust sounds are probably the weakest part of the car. Cant get around the fact 4 bangers never going to sound all that great

Ok will do. Thanks again for the info/assist!

View attachment 40721

Nice man! I'm a data junkie so this is right up my alley. What's been the rough difference in spool between the IS20 and IS38 (i.e rpm you hit peak boost w/ each)? Seems like the IS38 may suffer a bit since the GSW/Alltracks have the 1.8 vs 2.0. We get hit hard on spool at elevation as well which is reason Ed @ EQT tends to recommend the smaller standard (IS20 based) housing on their Vortex vs the XL (IS38 based) housing.
I hit peak boost (30psi) @ 3350-3400rpm w/ the standard housing up here, which is where the XL housing typically hits peak boost at sea level.

Edit - almost forgot took a look at your youtube channel. The Passat sounds like a beast with the exhaust! I love the R but the exhaust sounds are probably the weakest part of the car. Cant get around the fact 4 bangers never going to sound all that great

Ok will do. Thanks again for the info/assist!
A fellow data junkie....love it. Here is my comparo of boost for the IS20/38. It's not a huge difference, about 500 rpm but that translates into a smoother driving experience. Peak numbers on the Unitronic tune are essentially the same but the 38 doesn't lose as much out at the redline. We just are fuel limited on the 1.8 and is why don't see the big numbers the GTI and R folks get.

The W8 howls and is so great, just 2.5 pipes with an x pipe and Flowmaster straight throughs. Amazing car....hope it holds together!
Capture.JPG

....We just are fuel limited on the 1.8 and is why don't see the big numbers the GTI and R folks get...

As I know you are aware you could address that! :) MPI/LPFP/EQT Vortex Std housing/UM tuned!

50w minimum if you run ethanol fuels though, year round. I suspect you are referring to the 15w though. I live in Brisbane, Australia. Doesn't even get lower than 15 degrees Celsius in the winter (55F) haha.

Just to annoy the boys, those RS3 drivers hate it when they see a ford go straight past them on the highway lol.

Last edited:
50w minimum if you run ethanol fuels though, year round. I suspect you are referring to the 15w though. I live in Brisbane, Australia. Doesn't even get lower than 15 degrees Celsius in the winter (55F) haha.

Just to annoy the boys, those RS3 drivers hate it when they see a ford go straight past them on the highway lol.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.39.16 AM.png

I'm in CO so definitely get some cold days here.
What Ford you referring to that is blowing past RS3? Those things are brutal on a simple tune and bolt ons on stock turbo.

I was referring to OP. Here in CO hardly goes above 10c ever in winter, though we have a lot of sun. Nights are way below 0 due to altitude, and sometimes we get cold snaps way into -30. I personally would run M1 5W50 in winter, 15W50 in summer and track.

Back