15k OCI on BMW after 100k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 09 X5 3.0 needed valve cover and oil pan gaskets replaced. After viewing some videos, decided it was beyond my tool/skill/comfort level. Dealer obviously had to do an OC on it afterward.
My question for people with a BMW with 100k+ miles on them:
Do you stick to the 15k mile OCI?

I think it is probably OK up to 100k, but wonder about results when engine is older.
Plan on keeping it for a long time. Body and interior are like new. Mechanically like new after recent repairs.

Thanks.

BMW moved to a 10k mile OCI around 2013. When 15k was the norm many enthusiasts moved to a 7500 mile OCI. Did the shop comment on the condition of the cleanliness of valvetrain?

UOA would really be the indicator of whether or not the oil is still doing as well as when the vehicle was newer. I would personally think that if you were just guessing, it would make more sense to change it a bit sooner since tolerances aren't as tight and more junk is probably ending up in the oil. Although that really does depend on the condition of the engine itself. If it has worn very well from the start, it may not be too far off of the new engine clearances and performance. I think the only way to truly answer that is with a UOA, you may be surprised to see that 15k is just fine after 100k. Many people stick to long intervals and have no issues up to really high mileage. Good example is StevieC with his Hyundai and Tig1 with his Fords and Mobil1.

Definitely cut it in half, there were sludging issues starting so they cut it down to 10 a while ago. If you drive easy and mostly highway, it will extend that even further, my moms 2010 X3 resets the count to 18500 since shes averaging 23 mpg! I thought there was a software update to reduce the interval as well, Im surprised it wasnt flashed when it was at the dealer.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
BMW moved to a 10k mile OCI around 2013. When 15k was the norm many enthusiasts moved to a 7500 mile OCI. Did the shop comment on the condition of the cleanliness of valvetrain?

They didn't say anything about a cleanliness problem.
Looking through the fill hole, it looks about how you would expect: light brown "stain", no sludge, moving parts don't show anything out of the ordinary.
I have been doing 6-7k oc's myself, but may try this factory OCI one time, get a UOA, and go from there.
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
UOA would really be the indicator of whether or not the oil is still doing as well as when the vehicle was newer.
I think the only way to truly answer that is with a UOA, you may be surprised to see that 15k is just fine after 100k.

I am leaning towards one time at 15k, get it tested, then either stick with it, or reduce. Unless someone has had bad experience to report.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Audios
Definitely cut it in half, there were sludging issues starting so they cut it down to 10 a while ago. If you drive easy and mostly highway, it will extend that even further, my moms 2010 X3 resets the count to 18500 since shes averaging 23 mpg! I thought there was a software update to reduce the interval as well, Im surprised it wasnt flashed when it was at the dealer.

I will keep an eye out for any sludge.
The only reason I am considering the 15k interval is that this engine doesn't have a dipstick, so suction extraction is not an option. Seems like OCI always arrives in dead of winter. No longer a fan of laying on the concrete changing oil in freezing weather.
smile.gif

When I was driving my n54 1000 miles a week, I went 10-12k. Oil analysis at the time supported it, and a bit more. Regular driving, I don't go much further than 5-7.5k. You should be eyeballing the bottom of the bay for leaks anyway after 100k - they can happen pretty fast. I just hit 200k

Last edited:
I was the original owner of my 540 and changed the oil every 5k miles per Mike Miller old school recommendations. Used M1 0W-40 (way back when it used to be LL-01). The M62TU engines were infamous for timing chain issues, I never have a problem in all my 220k miles. IMO, 15k is crazy, 10k is lazy, would not go beyond 7.5k if you want to get long term trouble free service.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Why not just make it easy to remember, and do 10K?

If I don't do the 15k that BMW recommends, I would probably cut it in half.
I would do the 7.5k OC myself (which would be at least a year for me), and let dealer do 15k change.

Originally Posted by antonmnster
You should be eyeballing the bottom of the bay for leaks anyway after 100k - they can happen pretty fast. I just hit 200k

Just had oil pan and valve cover gaskets replaced at 103k miles, so hopefully leaks are fixed for a few years.
Saw how bad pan was leaking when I replaced the oil level sensor, but was going to live with it. Then VC started leaking, and kept getting smell in cabin. Bit a HUGE bullet and had both replaced.
smile.gif

Plan is to keep it for 100k.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
IMO, 15k is crazy, 10k is lazy, would not go beyond 7.5k if you want to get long term trouble free service.

Leaning towards 7.5k OCI. Especially since no one has said "I did the 15k OCI for 200k, no problems".

Originally Posted by IllinoisSparky
My 09 X5 3.0 needed valve cover and oil pan gaskets replaced. After viewing some videos, decided it was beyond my tool/skill/comfort level. Dealer obviously had to do an OC on it afterward.

I think it is probably OK up to 100k, but wonder about results when engine is older.
Plan on keeping it for a long time. Body and interior are like new. Mechanically like new after recent repairs.

Thanks.

I work at a dealer. As soon as a vehicle is out of warranty, we recommend 12k km (7500 miles) OCI.

All of the techs with BMWs, even do it more often than that.

My son drives a 2009 328i. The car has been run on BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles/12 months; here's what it looked like at 108,000 miles:

328i engine.jpg

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I was hoping to see pics of under the valve cover
banana2.gif

Sorry. As I said in OP, after seeing videos of the process, especially the valvetronic, I decided to let the "pros" do it. ðŸ‘...

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by IllinoisSparky

Thanks.

I work at a dealer. As soon as a vehicle is out of warranty, we recommend 12k km (7500 miles) OCI.

All of the techs with BMWs, even do it more often than that.

Thanks Mighty Mouse. Good to know. And BYW, I enjoyed your cartoon as a kid. ...

Originally Posted by MCompact
My son drives a 2009 328i. The car has been run on BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles/12 months; here's what it looked like at 108,000 miles:

Now that is good news! ðŸ‘
Thank you MCompact, that picture looks just like mine at 103,000 miles.
Sounds like 15k should be OK.
Alright. That convinces me. I will try 15k one time, get UOA, and decide from there.

One clarification for me, please. Did you change in 12mo if it was under 15k miles?
It may take me 2yrs to get 15k. ...

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back