#151 moly bond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently inquired from a Canadian Scheaffers rep as to what oil to run in my 3116 Cat. I do not want to run synethic was my only spec. They recommened #151 moly bond at $21/gal. What is this and why is it so expensive? Any ideas on what to run would be helpful. Thanks Roger

quote:

Originally posted by Roger3116:
I recently inquired from a Canadian Scheaffers rep as to what oil to run in my 3116 Cat. I do not want to run synethic was my only spec. They recommened #151 moly bond at $21/gal. What is this and why is it so expensive? Any ideas on what to run would be helpful. Thanks Roger

Cummins Bench Corrosion Test
I donno the numbers here, We use
the Mac T-9 test where 25.4 Passes
and we are well below 5.

As far as everything besides that

I'd say it looks like a great oil.

Roger,
Schaeffer's non-synthetic oil is the best non-syn you can find. You'll get at least double the oil life, less wear, a cleaner engine, and about 3-5% lower fuel consumption. You need to do oil analysis to get the full value out of this oil. Some truckers are getting better than 40,000 mile oil drain interval from this oil.

The synthetic blend #700 15W-40 is equal except for longer oil life due to the increased oxidation stability and thermal stability of the 25% synthetic.

Why not consider the synthetic blend? It will do no harm and may save you money. It's especially good in winter.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Roger,
Schaeffer's non-synthetic oil is the best non-syn you can find. You'll get at least double the oil life, less wear, a cleaner engine, and about 3-5% lower fuel consumption. You need to do oil analysis to get the full value out of this oil. Some truckers are getting better than 40,000 mile oil drain interval from this oil.

Ken, it is a very very good oil. BUT you can't say it is the BEST non-syn you can find. The line I sell does everything you mentioned, every bit, and there are others, albeit a handfull... NO oil is the HOLY GRAIL!

quote:

They recommened #151 moly bond at $21/gal. What is this and why is it so expensive? Any ideas on what to run would be helpful. Thanks Roger

I think the price might be more like 21 bucks for 5 gallons since it's a dino . Ask them again to confirm an error in pricing though .

Any CI-4 15/40 will just about do . Shell Rotella , Mobil Delvac 1300s ect ect.

It gets pretty cold where you live don't it ? Shell 0/40 might be better for winter if you can eventually swing the thought of a synlube .

Our Canadian neighbors could help clarify pricing if they'd use C$ or US$ when they post prices. C$21 = US$16...which includes freight and border crossing costs.

Ken

Just to clairfy--this quote was from a Canadian rep in Canadian dollars--plus shipping. That means 4 litres would cost me aprox.$25. I can buy 4 litres of Delvac 1300 for $11.50 or 4 litres of Mobil syn. for $30. The 151 moly bond seems very expensive. I don't run syn. because--1. the truck is plugged in all night--2. I don't believe in extended oil changes 3. cost. I appreciate the help and wonder if this oil is twice as good as Delvac 1300 because that is what it will cost me. Roger

quote:

I appreciate the help and wonder if this oil is twice as good as Delvac 1300 because that is what it will cost me. Roger

No , it's not twice as good as the Mobil . I'm somewhat surprised it sells for that amount .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back