15 dollars a hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Does living wage include the cost for someone to buy an iPhone, internet and cable service, Netflix, and a big screen TV?

If it does then they already have it!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Put me in the camp of raising the minimum wage to a reasonable living wage, with an automatic annual adjustment for inflation. It's entertaining to hear people pound their chest and say get a job. Then tell the folks making minimum wage to get a better job...

People deserve the dignity of a job that pays enough to put a roof over their head in exchange for 40 hours of their life each week.

Yup all they care about is ME ME...lots of that going on in this thread.

hqdefault.jpg

Originally Posted By: BigD1
It's not about hours worked. It's about being paid fairly for the hours one does work.
Yep. That's why low skilled, low stress, flexible schedule jobs pay what they do. If any idiot is worth $15 what is the guy worth that EARNS $15 right now. Still $15? Or are you going to boost him up to 20 or 35? If you want to be fair and all.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
hqdefault.jpg

Lame post. These machines have been around for years, companies will do anything to save a buck on labor no matter what. How long have self checkouts been around? I stopped at a Red Robin in Central PA a couple years ago and had to order my meal on an iPad. The minimum wage for tipped workers in that state is $2 an hour.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Imagine if society was full of people making at least $15 an hour. Just imagine what they would do for your business... buy from it. Who cares about the people, but, man, their flush wallets would be nice to have around.

Someone running a business assuming they can't compete with the guy across the street is ignorant of the macroeconomics of wages being not just an expense but a source of income.

Hogwash. $15/hr is $30k/yr if you work a standard 2000 hours. What are they buying and what should they be buying? Certainly not wasting money in restaurants or buying high profit margin trinkets.

That's why this is self limiting anyway. If people want to be idiots and play the "I deserve" game, making $7.50 or $15 or even more, go ahead. But it's really poor budgeting and is going to catch them or limit them severely when they realize how many hours they have to work to feed their families Big Macs (which will, increase in price). $15/hr is not "making it", but it does topple a lot of the cost structure of the labor component of many businesses. Which means less opportunity as it all flushes out.

It's just a low-tier wealth redistribution. A feel good thing where everyone thinks they'll have twice as much money... Until they don't, or their job is just gone A company could have two $7.50 employees for the price of one $15 employee. Business efficiency dictates the best of all worlds is to get a $7.50 employee to do the job of two people, and gain cost efficiencies. What will happen is that this will be stressed much further, and only the best employees will be retained in jobs (even if they then pay a bit more than $15), and the opportunity at the bottom will be gone. This is because some people are just harder workers than others, some people are smarter than others, and so besides automation and whatever, it will simply drive management and owners to stress the better employees further and remove opportunity for the lowest.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

A living wage for employees?
What a concept!
This is something all of us should support.
Ignore the comments from the nay-sayers who profit more from lower wages.
Most of us aren't unfortunate enough to rely upon a minimum wage job.
Let's pay that extra dime for a part to enable those lower on the food chain to make a decent living.

Like what was already stated, And will continue 'til this thread is gone (Shouldn't be long!)

Fast Food work is not there to make a decent living or support a family, It is for teenagers & folks ENTERING the workforce or supplementing their/spouses income. There are several higher paid positions outside of fast food that go unfilled because no one wants to WORK their way to a better life. Be it collage/trade school or apprenticeship.

NO ONE forces a minimum wage job onto anyone, The "Unfortunate" are right where they want to be.

That may be what you think but it's not the reality. I think a large percentage of fast food workers are there as a regular job because they can't get anything better.

Also while pay may go up 50%, it doesn't follow that prices have to go up 50%. Labor costs are just one factor that goes into the price, there's also overhead, cost of products and profits. Maybe they'll have to put up with smaller profit margins and not pay their CEO 9.5 million a year like they did in 2013. Maybe higher paid workers will be more efficient, seems like at least 1/4 of the time they screw up my order and end up having to throw the food out.

The small time franchise owner will suffer long before the CEO of whatever corporation does. How many middle class business owners have to go belly up providing a living for unskilled workers? All of them?

Put me in the camp of raising the minimum wage to a reasonable living wage, with an automatic annual adjustment for inflation. It's entertaining to hear people pound their chest and say get a job. Then tell the folks making minimum wage to get a better job...

People deserve the dignity of a job that pays enough to put a roof over their head in exchange for 40 hours of their life each week.

What is funny is you guys are employing are sorts of underpaid folks right now. Did you ask the lawn guy (which you almost certainly beat down on the price) if his crew are all getting paid what you think they should be paid? Are you going to tip them to make up their wage working for you? And so on with all the numerous others you deal with. You guys are just like all the clowns who want taxes to be raised but never send in the extra money they say they should owe.

Originally Posted By: hatt
It's not about hours worked. It's about being paid fairly for the hours one does work.
Yep. That's why low skilled, low stress, flexible schedule jobs pay what they do. If any idiot is worth $15 what is the guy worth that EARNS $15 right now. Still $15? Or are you going to boost him up to 20 or 35? If you want to be fair and all.

And that's exactly why change is here, and more is coming. Reverse logic. The $15 an hour should go get a better paying job. See how silly that sounds. Give you something to think about.

What is funny is you guys are employing are sorts of underpaid folks right now. Did you ask the lawn guy (which you almost certainly beat down on the price) if his crew are all getting paid what you think they should be paid? Are you going to tip them to make up their wage working for you? And so on with all the numerous others you deal with. You guys are just like all the clowns who want taxes to be raised but never send in the extra money they say they should owe.

If I have someone at my house delivering something or doing work, I always tip them and say "let me buy you lunch".

And that's exactly why change is here, and more is coming. Reverse logic. The $15 an hour should go get a better paying job. See how silly that sounds. Give you something to think about.
Since we're going to ignore all known economic principles why doesn't the government just give everyone s million $ a year so we can all be rich?

If I have someone at my house delivering something or doing work, I always tip them and say "let me buy you lunch".
You tip and feed the lawn guys each week?

What's a lawn? I live in the desert.

I live in the desert.
I meant the guys who come around and collect the tumbleweeds. But serious. Almost everything you buy is associated with cheap labor somewhere. When you cut out all, or all that's possible, the low paid labor then you can lecture.

The problem with living wages for everyone on one 40hr job is inflation. Under the status quo system we have seen a median new home price nearly double since 2000 and middle wages stay the same. Sure the min wage has moved up slowly but the middle class has barely gone anywhere. You cant just legislate the population into the middleclass.

It took my wife and i grinding over 120 hours a week between the two of us to get ahead and buy the first home. No college, just hard work and careful money management.

You raise costs for everyone above min wage and hurt their purchasing power to subsidize below average performance. I want the min wage to go up for sure but it has to be very gradual and expected by everyone.

I love the min wage debate as it is so interesting on how it affects the whole economy.

Costco proves high pay can work and generate higher productivity. My theory is they just end up with all the top retail workers, cause who wouldnt want to quit walmart and take a position at costco?

The thing about it is, by the time minimum wage gets up to $15 an hour, $15 won't be worth more than what $7.50 is now. What they need to do is ask for $50 an hour 20 years ahead of time.

I meant the guys who come around and collect the tumbleweeds. But serious. Almost everything you buy is associated with cheap labor somewhere. When you cut out all, or all that's possible, the low paid labor then you can lecture.

We all enjoy cheap labor, but in reality it hurts the overall economy, the country and all of us in the end.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The thing about it is, by the time minimum wage gets up to $15/hour an hour, $15 won't be worth more than what $7.50 is now.

Well this is a concern I have and a valid point.

You have a serious problem. I mow my lawn, and I have my whole life. I roof my own roof because I know how. I already live in one of the highest paid states taxes wise, so heck no I don't want any taxes raised. You need to quit grabbing at straws, and trying to lump people that don't agree with you in the same pile, or whatever weird agenda you have going on.

Costco isn't hiring just any idiot and paying them well. A $15 min wage simply means a whole bunch of people are going to be unemployable. And the ones with jobs are going to be doing a lot more work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back