14 Jeep GC 5.7, PP 5w20 & 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: Vigg
Originally Posted By: JoelB
I would run a 5000 miles interval and get another UOA. Could show if the back end of the OCI is giving you the undesired results. It would be surprising to see the oil thickening in that amount of mileage.

I think this is what I would like to do. I'm going to give the filter a real good cleaning with the proper cleaning solution, clean around the box and make sure it gets a good seal and leave it alone. Considering I picked the oil up for cheap and can change it for around $20 including a filter, I have no problem dumping it early for piece of mind.

I know others are bashing the filter but it was in during the previous oil changes which returned good results so we know the filter can properly filter the incoming air.

I am not bashing your air filter, they're just something I don't care for after seeing many tests that show they are great at moving more air, but are less than adequate at filtering it.

I had a guy once who was touting his K&N who said it stayed way cleaner than his stocker. I thanked him for proving my point.
33.gif

I know your not. Those comments weren't directed at you per say, it was more of a generalization that people don't like aftermarket air filters. I know the first sample was a little high but the second had 6 and this one 11. I really don't feel that's abnormal especially the 6 ppm count. If it stayed at 6 I would be very happy but even at the first ones elevated levels it had no ill effect.

I will say I'm with you on the K&N filters and their oil. I've seen UOA of the foam filters and the silicone was atrocious.

I like these dry filters from AFE and ran one on our S3 as well and it retuned very low Silicone levels.

I guess I'm just wary of pointing fingers at the air filter since nothing has changed other then the type of oil. This is leading me to believe its an oil variable rather then filter. I guess the filter is still a variable but just not really sure. If silicone levels were in the 20-30 and I had Iron at this level I would immediately point the finger at the filter but that's just not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back