12mo/5000mi OCI: 1mzfe & 1zzfe w/ PP High Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change my own oil/filter on each of my two cars twice a year, and I was thinking of moving to once a year. Each car gets driven about 2000-5000 miles per year, and gets a new PCV valve every few years (none have every been at all clogged though).

I have a 1998 Toyota Avalon with just over 200,000 miles on a 1mzfe engine that never consumes a drop of oil. I have religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles/6 months for the last decade or so (except last OCI at 5000/4months). The Avalon has been getting Maxlife Blend 5w30 for most of that time. It was dealer serviced before I got it, and in very good condition.

I'm now running a Fram XG3600 Oversized Filter and the new 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic High Mileage oil. I don't think the PP Synthetic High Mileage oil has been out for long. I got it cheap ($22 5 qt) at Wallyworld. That car has never had full synthetic, but it doesn't leak anywhere and it is clean as a whistle under the valve cover. It doesn't consume a drop of oil between oil changes. I was thinking of extending my OCI to 12 months/5000 miles.

I also have a 1999 Toyota Corolla with 150,000 miles that has a similar history. It mostly has gotten the 5w30 Maxlife blend for years on a 6month/3000 mile OCI. I'm thinking of also going to the PP Full Synthetic High Mileage with a 12month/5000 mile OCI for it. It also does not consume any oil (oddly enough for that engine) and is also clean under the valve cover. It now has a Fram XG3600 Oversized Filter. It has never run full synthetic. It has the Maxlife in it now.

Am I crazy for changing to a longer OCI with Synthetic High Mileage for cars that have been doing just fine on the Maxlife Blend at the short OCI? I am just getting older and busier and want to cut that labor in half. I was thinking of just using PP High Mileage (or maybe Mobil 1 High Mileage) on the longer 12 mo/ 5000 mi OCI for the remainder of the lives of these cars.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
I don't see why you couldn't have run the Maxlife for 1 year / 5000 miles.

Exactly. MaxLife blend is a lot more stout than people give it credit for.

I started doing that (change from 3000 to 5000) , for me 2 changes a year, and every other on the oil filter, started about 5 years ago, one car has 160k, one has 120k
nissan and toyota
if everyone would do it less oil would be used, filters too

Last edited:
Great. 1 year OCI it is!

It is good to know the Maxlife can go a year too. Although Maxlife has pretty good cold flow, I think the PP HM has better cold flow properties, and it gets cold here (well below zero for much of the winter, and sometimes even -30).

Interesting oil. Front label on bottle reads "Made from Natural Gas". So I can better understand, can someone list some other engine oils that are made from natural gas(is Maxlife?)

Originally Posted By: jorton
Interesting oil. Front label on bottle reads "Made from Natural Gas". So I can better understand, can someone list some other engine oils that are made from natural gas(is Maxlife?)

As far as I know, Pennzoil Platinum is the only oil made from natural gas. That makes it a one of a kind oil. Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra Platinum & Platinum High Mileage are the only natural gas oils I'm aware of.

MaxLife is just refined from crude oil like most engine oils.

Platinum is a great oil too. I'm running it in 2 of my vehicles & they've been great so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back