120 to 220V transformers? For 3000W Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese transformer? Chances are good it won't work to specs, and will run very hot since they decided to save copper by using too few turns per volt. But for just occasionally pumping up the pressure tank it might work.

Go down to Harbor Freight and pick up a 3500W generator for $300 that can output 220V and call it a day.

Those Gentrac panels are meant to have a 4 wire connection from a generator, hot, 180 degree out of phase hot, neutral, and ground. I guess for different 120 volt loads, you could connect both legs of the panel to the same 120 volts. Any 240 loads wouldn't get anything that way.

If you put a transformer between a 120 volt generator and the panel, it would have to be center tapped for the 120 volt circuits. If the transformer is only between the panel and pump, then the transformer wouldn't need the center tap. The feed to the transformer would need to connect to hot and ground.

Note to Javacontour. Your set up is illegal and if caught, you will wish you had done it right. The cheapest and easiest legal way is an interlock, http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

Originally Posted By: labman
Those Gentrac panels are meant to have a 4 wire connection from a generator, hot, 180 degree out of phase hot, neutral, and ground. I guess for different 120 volt loads, you could connect both legs of the panel to the same 120 volts. Any 240 loads wouldn't get anything that way.

If you put a transformer between a 120 volt generator and the panel, it would have to be center tapped for the 120 volt circuits. If the transformer is only between the panel and pump, then the transformer wouldn't need the center tap. The feed to the transformer would need to connect to hot and ground.

Note to Javacontour. Your set up is illegal and if caught, you will wish you had done it right. The cheapest and easiest legal way is an interlock, http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

How would anyone know. The genny is only hooked up if the power is out. It basically looks like an L6-30R in the garage. The breaker is marked 30A garage.

When I sold the house, it passed inspection for code, because it's not labeled generator input.

I don't really think the utility police will be coming to my home if there is a massive power outage. I think they'll be more concerned about getting power back on to hospitals, schools, etc.

So it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I've looked at those interlock kits before. I might buy one if for my $150 I got more than a bit of machined stainless, some stickers, a drill bit and fasteners.

If I got a backfeed breaker and a gen convenience box AND that kit for say $150-$200, I might buy one.

But $150 for a bit of metal that keeps me from having both the main and the backfeed breaker on, I'll just go with what I have and trust that I know when I connect the generator I first need to turn off the main to avoid backfeeding the entire neighborhood.

Square D and GE also sell interlocks to fit their boxes. I never saw a firm price, but I think they are much less.

Yes the kits are a rip off. Nothing there I couldn't make for less than $10 including the NFPA approved stickers.

Lineman are justifiably concerned about back feeding. Before starting to work, they could decide to check the only light up house with the generator running. They don't want to trust their life to you remembering to shut off the main.

When the linemen where at my old home during the last outage, they simply asked me to turn off the generator while they fixed the transformer.

That's about as involved as I'd expect them to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back