'12 Focus 2.0 DI, PP 5W20, 8k - Comp to MC SynBlen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my third (and probably last) UOA on my Focus. Wanted to do a direct comparison between the Pennzoil Platinum and Motorcraft SynBlend over the same mileage and same driving conditions - commuter car, same commute for both periods.

It's no surprise the PP was in better shape. But I don't see it exceeding the value of the MC on a cost/mile basis, at least not by a long shot. The PP has about a 40% price premium over MC. The MC would've easily gone to 9k miles. Would the PP have easily gone to almost 13k miles? Impossible to say based on this UOA but I'm guessing they're about even on value.

Sure, NOACK is a concern. But the recent testing of PYB and QS conventionals with their ultra-low noacks solves that problem.

I think after exhausting my stash of PP I'll stick to PYB at about 8-9k OCIs.

Blackstone Comments:

Nice drop in silicon this time around. It dropped to less than half of the previous level, and that was enough to put it down in the average range this time around. Wear metals continue to look great as well, so we don't see any obvious issues developing with this engine. In fact, now that the silicon is unhighlighted, and since we didn't find any other problems with this oil, we can finally give you a perfect report for your Focus. There were no contaminants or other physical issues, and the TBN is still nice and strong at 3.0, showing plenty of active additive left. Nice!

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 8,005 7,963 5,062

MI/HR on Unit 22,480 14,475 6,512

Sample Date 01/11/14 05/04/13 08/03/12

Oil PP 5W20 MC 5W20 PYB 5W20

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts 0 qts 0 qts Univ Averages

ALUMINUM 9 7 5 5

CHROMIUM 1 1 1 1

IRON 17 16 13 14

COPPER 3 5 7 4

LEAD 0 1 0 1

TIN 0 3 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 55 99 245 68

NICKEL 0 0 0 0

MANGANESE 3 3 3 2

SILVER 0 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 1 0 1

POTASSIUM 0 0 3 3

BORON 7 54 46 70

SILICON 15 33 39 18

SODIUM 3 7 5 48

CALCIUM 2268 2550 2586 2022

MAGNESIUM 8 11 10 214

PHOSPHORUS 565 839 756 709

ZINC 639 931 894 788

BARIUM 0 0 0 1

(VOA) (VOA) Should Be:

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 54.7 50.8 51.2 46-57

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.68 (8.4?) 7.51 (8.5) 7.63 6.0-9.7

Flashpoint in °F 440 390 410 >355

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3 0.4 0.3
TBN 3.0 (9.1?) 1.9 (7.3) 3.9 >1.0

FocusUOANo3_zpsbf77c7b1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report.I think you are right about PYB. It seems your engine does well with it in the sump. I think PYB has the most bang for the buck.

of course its only 6$ more for PP near me. PYB is hyped up alot on bitog but is a very good oil.

btw what is their universal average milage?

Since iron tracks with mileage knowing the universal average mileage would be good.

Last edited:
Since Ford recommends a syn blend why not use the Pennzoil syn blend? I think its within a buck or two being the same price as PYB at Wal-Mart for the 5qt jug.

Originally Posted By: mwball0
Since Ford recommends a syn blend why not use the Pennzoil syn blend? I think its within a buck or two being the same price as PYB at Wal-Mart for the 5qt jug.

Ford recommends Motorcraft because that is their trademark. It is blended by Phillips here in the U.S. thus synblend. In Canada it is blended by BP thus it is similar to Castrol GTX. For warranty purposes Ford recommends what meets Ford specs.

From the small snapshots of UOA's here I would just use PYB there is no need to spend more money.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Ford recommends Motorcraft because that is their trademark. It is blended by Phillips here in the U.S. thus synblend. In Canada it is blended by BP thus it is similar to Castrol GTX. For warranty purposes Ford recommends what meets Ford specs.

From the small snapshots of UOA's here I would just use PYB there is no need to spend more money.

Yes. Plus if the recent PQIA testing is to be believed PYB has a higher TBN and much lower NOACK than MC SynBlend. MC Synblend is right on the edge of acceptable NOACK (15%).

Pretty sure motorcraft in canada is made by Imperial (XOM) and is rebadged mobil super, not a BP oil.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Pretty sure motorcraft in canada is made by Imperial (XOM) and is rebadged mobil super, not a BP oil.

I believe you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back