12% are paying $1,000+ a month for car loans ...

I think the number is far higher than that in my area. And many middle to upper middle class area. Then again, the average mortgage + taxes/ins in my area (which is similar to many major metropolitan areas) is probably in the $5-7K/mo range, so $1k/mo for a car payment isn't exactly a big deal when your monthly takehome income is $10-15K/mo.

If they can afford it, good for them. If they cannot and the repo man pays a visit, I will gladly play my violin.

Idk. I stopped caring about new cars when i started driving new cars every day at work at enterprise. You realize wow this new 60k truck drives the same as my 5k truck. And yes i think it is FOMO. If everyone got to drive new vehicles all the time they might realize a new vehicle isnt vastly improved from something older. In fact some of the new vehicles can be a little more frustrating as they have more safety features such as really laggy accelerator response or slow drive to reverse shift times etc.

Question is, what was the percentage 10 years ago with respect to avg incomes of the day. Who knows, it might have been the same.

I think the number is far higher than that in my area. And many middle to upper middle class area. Then again, the average mortgage + taxes/ins in my area (which is similar to many major metropolitan areas) is probably in the $5-7K/mo range, so $1k/mo for a car payment isn't exactly a big deal when your monthly takehome income is $10-15K/mo.
Yeah but imagine when folks have that or more take home and don’t have those obscene costs just for housing and to keep up with the Joneses.

Back