11-19 Hyundai Soanta 2.4L Lifetime Warranty Replacment Program.

Hey everyone. I had no idea there was a quietly passed lifetime warranty on our 13 2.4L Sonata until a old thread popped up here on BITOG about this 2.4L / 2.0L and a major recall about engine knock and or seized motors.. I knew only that it "could have a engine issue because of leftover metal shavings" but It was an old thread, so as of today Aug 2021 I just want to confirm and inform "others" that might also think the same thing: that they are left out to dry. So i called my local Hyundai dealer, gave them the vin, and the service professional told me point blank, that this engine is covered for "life" No cap on miles, time or even owners. Hyundai calls it "enhanced warranty service". I already have the "knock sensor software update". As of 47K miles right now, the engine is as smooth a glass, uses no oil, pulls beautifully, also sounds perfect, but i guess that could change... fast.

Terms of the settlement include:
  • Cash reimbursement for certain past repairs and related expenses, such as towing and rental cars;
  • Cash compensation for certain past trade-ins, sales, and in lieu of certain repairs;
  • Free inspection and repair or replacement of damaged engines;
  • Lifetime warranty coverage for short block assembly repairs for original and subsequent owners;
  • Free installation of the knock sensor detection system software update;
  • Various goodwill compensation for customers inconvenienced by previous lengthy engine repair times, denied warranty coverage, and vehicle loss of value, among other provisions

• Knock Sensor Detection System Software Update:

Each of these vehicles is part of an ongoing product improvement campaign to install an engine monitoring technology called a knock sensor detection system. The technology uses software innovations and leverages existing engine sensors to continuously monitor for symptoms that may precede an engine failure. It is installed free of charge for all vehicles in the settlement by Hyundai and Kia dealers.

The knock sensor detection system software continuously monitors engine vibrations for unusual dynamic patterns that develop as an engine connecting rod bearing wears abnormally in a way that could later cause engine seizure. If vibrations caused by bearing wear start to occur, the malfunction indicator lamp will blink continuously and the vehicle will be placed in a temporary engine protection mode with reduced power and acceleration. In this temporary mode, drivers maintain full control of the vehicle as brakes, steering and safety devices such as airbags remain operational.

The vehicle can continue to be operated for a limited time in engine protection mode to enable the customer to safely drive it to a dealer for inspection and repair, but acceleration will be slower, with a reduced maximum speed of approximately 60 to 65 mph and a limited engine speed of approximately 1,800 to 2,000 rpm. The knock sensor technology has been evaluated by an independent, leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. When tested using a fleet of vehicles specifically prepared to test the knock sensor technology, the knock sensor system successfully detected failing connecting rod bearings and responded with activation of the engine protection mode.

I know some might write off Hyundai, because if this, but i think it speaks volumes about the company as a whole. (yeah they had to get sued, but stepped up quick, admitted there was a problem and then offered a solution for this problem..)

The vehicles affected are:
    Vehicles in the settlement include 2.3 million Hyundai (2011-2019 Sonata, 2013-2018 Santa Fe Sport, 2019 Santa Fe, and 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019 Tucson) and 1.8 million Kia (2011-2019 model year Sportage, Sorento and Optima) vehicles with 2.0-liter and 2.4-liter GDI engines.

Last edited:
You have 47k, runs smooth and uses no oil. Sounds like a good engine to me. Not all of these engines were grenades waiting to happen. Either way, you have peace of mind knowing it’s lifetime.
I had many 2.4L's, not one had a engine problem. All totaled out because of deer, and a tree falling on one. Even the 2.0L Turbo in the 13 SXL Optima was great. I also had the what some would call "worst affected years", three 13's, and a 15, all had the 2.4L, then the Optima 2.0L Turbo.

Does anybody know if Kia is warrantying their 2.4 engines (the same engine as Hyundai's)? My niece bought a 2013 Optima from a dealer which now has 142K and while it seems to run OK it burns a lot of oil?

You must have the KSDS update completed for the life time engine warranty to be honored. Just take your vehicle in to a Kia/Hyundai dealer to have it done. I did had it done and it took about 30 min.
Just got off the phone with Hyundai Corporate America, (1-800-633-5151) and indeed this Sonata has the software update for the KSDS applied on May 19, 2019, and again they confirmed that this engine has a lifetime warranty.

Edit: The Sonata was bought with 2,300 miles on it... In 2019. It had 9 oil changes in the first 6 years of ownership averaging about every 10 months or 440 miles. It was a elderly owned, garage queen.

Last edited:
You must have the KSDS update completed for the life time engine warranty to be honored. Just take your vehicle in to a Kia/Hyundai dealer to have it done. I did had it done and it took about 30 min.
And it needed to have been applied before a certain date, otherwise, any claims under the warranty campaign may be denied.

And it needed to have been applied before a certain date, otherwise, any claims under the warranty campaign may be denied.
You are correct, so the sooner you get it done, the better.. This sonata was updated with only 2,300 miles on May 19, 2019 before sale by the local Hyundai Dealer. Both the dealer (twice) and Hyundai corporate verified that it is covered under the lifetime warranty.

You are correct, so the sooner you get it done, the better.. This sonata was updated with only 2,300 miles on May 19, 2019 before sale by the local Hyundai Dealer. Both the dealer (twice) and Hyundai corporate verified that it is covered under the lifetime warranty.
Yep, and that ship has sailed. I know someone who recently went in for this campaign and was given the bad news.

Does anybody know if Kia is warrantying their 2.4 engines (the same engine as Hyundai's)? My niece bought a 2013 Optima from a dealer which now has 142K and while it seems to run OK it burns a lot of oil?
It does not hurt to see if they will cover part of it. I cant imagine Kia picking up the full bill on a 142K miles engine esp if you did not have the knock sensor update, and decent service records..

I'd run a high quality synthetic, check PCV valve, and change the oil every 5-7K miles.

I didn't know about the date requirement. I got my Kia used and never got the letter. I found out about the settlement agreement so I simply to my car to the dealer. I initally ran my VIN thru Kia's website but that was useless, so I took it to the dealer (reluctantly) and they discovered 2 additional recalls so I had all 3 done, well 2 recalls and a "product improvement campaign"

My 11 Sonata never had trouble with the engine, but it ate starters every 18 months.

It has a plastic lever in the starter that shattered like clockwork and left me stranded usually away from home.

I regret trading in my 15' Sonata, 6 months after I traded it in I got a letter about the lifetime engine warranty. Should have kept it as an extra car and got rid of the Camry.

Oh well.

Yes, it’s important for anyone reading this to know that the KSDS must be installed in order to get the lifetime warranty.

I had the KSDS done in February 2019 and mine went into limp mode leaving the dealership. Car was 4 months old with 4,000 miles, they had to order a new knock sensor wiring harness and reroute it.

They issued a TSB on the oil burning last year. It’s a 20 page step by step TSB to determine if the rings are either clogged, or worn. I’ll screen shot the first page, too large to attach here.

Attachments

• 2AC528E4-50DB-4295-A7E8-97CB5117B0C3.jpg
    2AC528E4-50DB-4295-A7E8-97CB5117B0C3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 387
girlfriend got a letter from kia this week for her preowned 18 optima bought from a used car dealer. car has been great + uses NO oil, letter stated car MUST have a computer update for the warranty. she made appointment at the local Kia dealer for next month, sure beats many other manufacturers IMO

girlfriend got a letter from kia this week for her preowned 18 optima bought from a used car dealer. car has been great + uses NO oil, letter stated car MUST have a computer update for the warranty. she made appointment at the local Kia dealer for next month, sure beats many other manufacturers IMO
Perhaps, but then again some other manufacturers didn't put themselves into a position to need to do this.

I am a bit alarmed at the failure rate but reassured that they are taking care of it so well. I look forward to the 100k warranty on our Carnival taking car of potential issues if needs be.

They required a massive class action lawsuit AND a NHTSB finding to settle out of court with no admission of guilt. And begrudgingly enough that Korean fbi raided their offices.

And killed 14 people before they started to do anything about it. Not as bad as the Ford pinto fires or rollovers from suv but we all knew the engines were and are ticking time bombs.

Back