10w30 M1 for summer towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im going to try the Mobil 1

Good, I'll be seeing you on the next Google custom search.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 10-30 is an excellant oil. I used it for years in Ford engines with well over 200K. My old Ranger was sold with 354K and the valve covers never needed pulling. All at 10K OCIs. Today, I use M1 10-30 in all of my OPE with outstanding results.

A BITOG Search reveals 11,000 results for Mobil 1 Noise

How do you explain that?

BITOG has countless thousands of subjective waste of electrons posts...my fave "my (name your engine) LOVES (Name your oil)" with no analysis or measurable anything to back it up. Mobil 1 is excellent oil. I don't use it, but I have, and I would do it again if I had a performance vehicle.

Hi,
Camprunner - It really won't matter at all. The 10W-30 viscosity has been an enduing and popular one amongst OEMs since the 1950s and in the case of M1 is no doubt a "Signature" product - and most likely their best seller

One Poster prominent in this Thread and elsewhere on BITOG is simply out to create issues without substance. The "noise" often attributed to M1 in some engines has never been shown to represent "wear" let alone "excessive wear"

I
Originally Posted By: 95busa
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 10-30 is an excellant oil. I used it for years in Ford engines with well over 200K. My old Ranger was sold with 354K and the valve covers never needed pulling. All at 10K OCIs. Today, I use M1 10-30 in all of my OPE with outstanding results.

A BITOG Search reveals 11,000 results for Mobil 1 Noise

How do you explain that?

BITOG has countless thousands of subjective waste of electrons posts...my fave "my (name your engine) LOVES (Name your oil)" with no analysis or measurable anything to back it up. Mobil 1 is excellent oil. I don't use it, but I have, and I would do it again if I had a performance vehicle.

Exactly

I've personally heard more noise from various engines when using M1 however only a fool makes the quantum leap to that noise equating to wear. Some oils just don't undulate noise as well as others but a lubricant isn't insulation so who cares if the acoustics change.
There are umpteen million engines using mobil 1 out there. It's the king of synthetics for a reason
I hate the brand as a whole but I've got 10 jugs from Canadian tires sale of m1 0w-40 a few months ago.
I'm a hater but know a great deal when I see one.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im going to try the Mobil 1
Good, I'll be seeing you on the next Google custom search.
grin2.gif

Bovine scatology. M1 has been the smoothest oil to date in my FX4; does that meaning anything? No, because it is fully subjective depending on the person. All of the noise is being measured by butt dynos with no science behind it. If there were some precision instruments being used to test the noise differences, then we may have a foundation upon which to build such claims. I used M1 in the 90s in 3 Corvettes and stopped for many years, picking it up again in 2013. I liked M1 better when it was a Mobil only product and although I dislike Exxon, M1 can stand on its own. Thus far, my usage and subsequent UOA testing has shown that M1 will do what it says that it will. Haters are going to hate and it is hard to be the king of the hill without being criticized.

Noise is annoying. That's about it.

Some of the best oils for the Jeep 4.0 are also quite noisy in it. Doesn't mean anything.

Originally Posted By: 00Max00
Didn't I see somewhere that M1 10W30 is thinner than M1 5W30 at operating temperature?

A check of the Mobil 1 site shows KV100 of 5w30 is 11.0, and 10w30 is 10.1. HTHS of 5w30 is 3.1, and 10w30 is 3.0. So 5w30 is a little thicker when it starts out. After summer towing in a Nissan VQ, the 10w30 would probably come out thicker.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So today at WM they were out of 5 quart jugs of 5w30 Mobil 1 that I usually run in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder VQ40 DE V6 so I went with M1 10w30 I'm sure it will run fine as May people run 40 weight oil in VQ40 V6 motors without issue. My question is for my trailer towing summer season is the M1 10w30 a better choice over the 5w30 or will it even matter?

10w30 will be the same if not better in ur Nissan as 5w30. Good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back