10w30 M1 for summer towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today at WM they were out of 5 quart jugs of 5w30 Mobil 1 that I usually run in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder VQ40 DE V6 so I went with M1 10w30 I'm sure it will run fine as May people run 40 weight oil in VQ40 V6 motors without issue. My question is for my trailer towing summer season is the M1 10w30 a better choice over the 5w30 or will it even matter?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Arguably should be more shear stable as it needs less viscosity improvers to get the 5w rating

When do you plan on changing it again?
how does a 10w30 get a 5w rating?

Some would say 10w30 is a better grade for summer useage, a 10w starts with a thicker base oil, and uses less viscosity improvers to maintain the 30 grade hot viscosity.

So the 10w30 is potentially more shear stable... and should maintain it's 30 grade viscosity longer...

More applicable to conventional oils than synthetics though...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Arguably should be more shear stable as it needs less viscosity improvers to get the 5w rating

When do you plan on changing it again?

+1
Ford recommended 5w30 every 15,000 KM in my engine back in 1998. In 2000 (my model year) they updated it to 10w30 because at the time 5w30s were shearing way out of spec well before the 15k interval and causing problems.
Instead of shortening the interval they changed the oil recommendation to the more stable 10w30 so they could still claim cheap maintenance with 15k runs

Didn't I see somewhere that M1 10W30 is thinner than M1 5W30 at operating temperature?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I wouldn't even tow a Tonka toy with M1 10W-30.
Wouldn't have it in my engine in the first place.

M1 10-30 is an excellant oil. I used it for years in Ford engines with well over 200K. My old Ranger was sold with 354K and the valve covers never needed pulling. All at 10K OCIs. Today, I use M1 10-30 in all of my OPE with outstanding results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 10-30 is an excellant oil. I used it for years in Ford engines with well over 200K. My old Ranger was sold with 354K and the valve covers never needed pulling. All at 10K OCIs. Today, I use M1 10-30 in all of my OPE with outstanding results.

A BITOG Search reveals 11,000 results for Mobil 1 Noise

How do you explain that?

Originally Posted By: tig1

How do you explain that?

Noise = what?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Noise = what?

My unscientific gut instinct tells me Noise = Poor Lubrication

So is it poor lubrication only when it's making noise?

If your Son's little red wagon had a wheel that was squeaking and you grabbed some oil off the shelf to quiet the squeak but the noise remained there, what would you think?

If your Son's little red wagon had a wheel that was squeaking and you grabbed some oil off the shelf to quiet the squeak but the noise remained there, what would you think?

You're simply restating my question in a different way. So is it poor lubrication only when it's making noise?

You're simply restating my question in a different way. So is it poor lubrication only when it's making noise?

I was answering your question with a question -- sometimes that's the best way to answer a question.

How do you explain that?

Well, Merk, coincidentally, you have 10,900 posts as of this reply.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

Well, Merk, coincidentally, you have 10,900 posts as of this reply.
wink.gif

This made me laugh.

Noise = what?

My unscientific gut instinct tells me Noise = Poor Lubrication

33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back