10w30 HDEO or 15w40, others. What's in your engine?

0w-40 Mobil 1 ESP Delvac, started and instant oil pressure at 45 below this last week. (plugged in of course), and, started and instant oil pressure at 25 below (not plugged in).
2011 LML

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Usman
Delo400mgx 15w40 in my 1gd-ftv with 5k km OCI. It's dusty here.

Curious, how much does a gallon of Delo run over there? I know in other areas like Asia it's labeled Caltex, is it the same there or is it Chevron?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Usman
Delo400mgx 15w40 in my 1gd-ftv with 5k km OCI. It's dusty here.

Curious, how much does a gallon of Delo run over there? I know in other areas like Asia it's labeled Caltex, is it the same there or is it Chevron?

It's labeled Caltex here as well, and it's sold in metric containers. A 4 liter bottle (a little over a gallon) runs around $16. How much is it back in the States?

I just did my first oil change on my new 2020 3500hd. Went with Delo xle CK4 15w40. I guess the syn blend is what swayed me. Off topic: also changed the rear axle oil (tow heavy). Couple of needles of metal on the magnet.

Last edited:
dlundblad said:
15w40 and 5w40 for my diesel tractors as well as my dads.

My new Kubota is approaching it's initial 50 hour service and I'm not sure what oil to use. The manual is outdated and states 10w30, 15w40, SAE 20 and SAE 30 depending on the temperature. I'd prefer to use 5w40, but I don't want any warranty drama should an issue arise. Will most likely run 10w30, but the darn thing has a 7 year warranty. Lol.

I went through the same thing with my Kubota le3560hstc.I ended up running 10w30 for winter and will switch to 15w40for summer mowing.Oil is cheap.

Well now that I have 36 gallons of Delvac 1300 I guess I'll be using 15w40 for a while
banana2.gif

I just ordered 4 gallons off Amazon: Schaeffer's SynShield® Ultra Performance 10W-30. Will try it in the 6.0 powerstroke and 2020 Ford F-450 6.7

So many diesel contractors and diesel truck owners in Minnesota saying they switched over to Schaeffer's or have been using it for years and absolutely love the performance.

Just changed the oil today in the John Deere 1023e tractor. Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40. Taking into account the rebate, I think it was less than $5/gallon several months ago.

All of the diesels in my fleet are Powerstroke 6.7s. Our bulk oil has been Mag1 5W40 for several years. Recently purchased Purus 5w40 but also still buying Mag1. Bought the Purus to save money. Had zero issues with the Mag1. Just had a rep drop off 10 gallons of Duragard Diamond Shield 5W40 to try. Will be going in three of my trucks tomorrow. He offered to pay for an oil analysis of my current oil at 0% OLM and then another analysis from the same truck with the Duragard at 0% OLM for comparison. I’m going to take him up on it. He swears I will be amazed. Never done any OAs Never seen a reason to spend the money. Oil is oil is if meets specs IMO.

Duragard claims to be only true 100% synthetic 5W40 Ford Approved HDEO on the market. It’s also very inexpensive. We will see. I will share the OAs in the forum. They state the oil is true 100% synthetic. Don’t really think it matters but free oil is free oil and it meets Ford Spec per Ford webpage.

I'm intrigued By full syn 15W40 bc I’m in the southern part of Florida. Never gets cold. But the owners manual states for heavy duty use to use only a 5W40 so that’s what I’ve always done. Doesn’t matter. Never had any problems. My trucks run hard and haven’t had any oil related failures. Ever.

I've got some Mobil 1300 15W40, that I'll be using in a Taurus (was originally bought for a different car). I keep reading that the 1300 is "semi-synthetic", but doesn't say that on the bottles I've got. I just got it a few months ago, says CK-4, so it's not some really old stock they gave me. Where does it say semi-synthetic?

I've got some Mobil 1300 15W40, that I'll be using in a Taurus (was originally bought for a different car). I keep reading that the 1300 is "semi-synthetic", but doesn't say that on the bottles I've got. I just got it a few months ago, says CK-4, so it's not some really old stock they gave me. Where does it say semi-synthetic?

Online on the Mobil Delvac site is the only place I've seen it. I'm sure someone who can reading the SDS can identify why it is semi-synthetic...

Just my $0.02

The SDS is not going to tell you much ahout what’s in Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40. It says “As per paragraph (i) of 29 CFR 1910.1200, formulation is considered a trade secret and specific chemical identity and exact percentage (concentration) of composition may have been withheld.“

Whatever is in Mobil’s secret witch’s brew it is great oil. I have been using it exclusively for nearly 20 years on my Kubota diesel tractor, since the first oil change. The Kubota runs at wide open throttle 100% of the time. It is also a mixed fleet oil and is API SN rated for use in gasoline engines.

All of the diesels in my fleet are Powerstroke 6.7s. Our bulk oil has been Mag1 5W40 for several years. Recently purchased Purus 5w40 but also still buying Mag1. Bought the Purus to save money. Had zero issues with the Mag1. Just had a rep drop off 10 gallons of Duragard Diamond Shield 5W40 to try. Will be going in three of my trucks tomorrow. He offered to pay for an oil analysis of my current oil at 0% OLM and then another analysis from the same truck with the Duragard at 0% OLM for comparison. I’m going to take him up on it. He swears I will be amazed. Never done any OAs Never seen a reason to spend the money. Oil is oil is if meets specs IMO.

Duragard claims to be only true 100% synthetic 5W40 Ford Approved HDEO on the market. It’s also very inexpensive. We will see. I will share the OAs in the forum. They state the oil is true 100% synthetic. Don’t really think it matters but free oil is free oil and it meets Ford Spec per Ford webpage.

I'm intrigued By full syn 15W40 bc I’m in the southern part of Florida. Never gets cold. But the owners manual states for heavy duty use to use only a 5W40 so that’s what I’ve always done. Doesn’t matter. Never had any problems. My trucks run hard and haven’t had any oil related failures. Ever.

....almost done w my little real world experiment as promised above with various oils and UOAs.....will be posting a thread with the results in HD oil analysis soon.....waiting on one more sample to get results back on...should have this week

it’s very interesting........stay tuned

Yanmar tractor and Honda 4 wheeler 15/40 Delo. Will be switching over to the Delo 15/40 semi next oil change round. This oil will end up in all my air cool lawn equipment except for the 3 generators. They will get PP Euro L 5/30 which goes in the truck and car. I don't look for sales or rebates. Just go to walmart since they carry both oils at a good price.

Back