10w30 5w40 diesel oil question?

Hello new here hope I'm posting in the right spot
I have a 2022 Massey Ferguson gc1723e it calls for 5w30 or 10w30 oil. So I opted for Rotella T5 10w30 to stay in viscosity requirements. The agco 10w30 the dealer has in conventional.
Considered T6 but the offerings here are 5w40 or 15w40. Would 5w40 be an issue?

I have a 2022 Massey Ferguson gc1723e it calls for 5w30 or 10w30 oil. So I opted for Rotella T5 10w30 to stay in viscosity requirements. The agco 10w30 the dealer has in conventional.
What's the OCI for this tractor?
It's the Global line and it's made in China, because it's sold all over the world they use the type of oil that can be found everywhere.
I'd have no hesitation in using T6 5W40 synthetic, in fact I'd prefer it, but it also depends on what use the tractor will be put to. If light duty and short OCI you could also use the conventional oil.

I have a 2022 Massey Ferguson, Would 5w40 be an issue?
only if there was some type of warranty issue... other than that it is a good replacement for 10w30 in a diesel engine.

It's the Global line and it's made in China, because it's sold all over the world they use the type of oil that can be found everywhere.
I'd have no hesitation in using T6 5W40 synthetic, in fact I'd prefer it, but it also depends on what use the tractor will be put to. If light duty and short OCI you could also use the conventional oil.
250 hrs

I’d say rotella 10w30. Could you see if tractor supply has the sale in 5gal pails? That’s my thought.

250 hrs
How long would it take you to reach 250 hrs?
12-14 months

GC2400, same Iseki engine as the OP, Delo 5W40 since the initial 50 hour drain. This will be it's 10th year and at over 750 hrs it seems fine. Doesn't burn any oil. GC tractors were Japan (by Iseki) made till a few years back, now made in Malaysia. Loaders and some attachments are China now.

ISEKI specs for 5w30 or 10w30 for a reason, if they wanted 15w40, etc, they would have it listed as approved oil in the manual, these small 3cyl engines have tighter tolerances today a thick oil is not needed and probably frees up some HP. these are expensive little machines use what's recommended.

I too have a GC1723EB, it loves the lighter 30w oil. Advanced auto has a sale going on right now with Mobil extreme 10w30 that's a quality synthetic.

ISEKI specs for 5w30 or 10w30 for a reason, if they wanted 15w40, etc, they would have it listed as approved oil in the manual, these small 3cyl engines have tighter tolerances today a thick oil is not needed and probably frees up some HP. these are expensive little machines use what's recommended.

I too have a GC1723EB, it loves the lighter 30w oil. Advanced auto has a sale going on right now with Mobil extreme 10w30 that's a quality synthetic.
Those engines aren’t built any tighter than a comparable Kubota, Yanmar, Perkins all which allow nearly anything from 10w30 up to 5/15w40. As stated previously they spec the lighter weight oil because that’s more common in the country where the engine is built and where the manual is written. They’re also not any tighter than say a new Paccar, Detroit or Cummins product.

Also, where’s your data to back up that your engine “loves” 30wt? I assume with a claim like that you have oil analysis comparing a x30 to x40 weight? If not, who’s to say it wouldn’t “love” an x40wt more?

Those engines aren’t built any tighter than a comparable Kubota, Yanmar, Perkins all which allow nearly anything from 10w30 up to 5/15w40. As stated previously they spec the lighter weight oil because that’s more common in the country where the engine is built and where the manual is written. They’re also not any tighter than say a new Paccar, Detroit or Cummins product.

Also, where’s your data to back up that your engine “loves” 30wt? I assume with a claim like that you have oil analysis comparing a x30 to x40 weight? If not, who’s to say it wouldn’t “love” an x40wt more?
Plus I bet the tolerances have never changed.

Those things aren’t built any tighter than a comparable Kubota, Yanmar, Perkins all which allow nearly anything from 10w30 up to 5/15w40. As stated previously they spec the lighter weight oil because that’s more common in the country where the engine is built and where the manual is written. They’re also not any tighter than say a new Paccar, Detroit or Cummins product.

So, you're a AGCO,Kub,Det, mechanic now.

Well to each is his own I've been in our dealer (also our farm dealers' shop) I've seen these 1.1L tore down among bigger 600hp C18's tore down(ours) they are tighter tolerances. Our B model specs 10w30 also. No newer small (1.0l)3cyl engine i know of specs 15w40.

No UOA needed, as a machine operator mine is a whole different animal with 5w30 or 10w. Vs the 15w40 that the dealer had in it, that's my data! and 15w40 is widely available everywhere, all manuals that i know of state the above weight, Anyway, Ill use recommended fluid.

So, you're a AGCO,Kub,Det, mechanic now.

Well to each is his own I've been in our dealer (also our farm dealers' shop) I've seen these 1.1L tore down among bigger 600hp C18's tore down(ours) they are tighter tolerances. Our B model specs 10w30 also. No newer small (1.0l)3cyl engine i know of specs 15w40.

No UOA needed, as a machine operator mine is a whole different animal with 5w30 or 10w. Vs the 15w40 that the dealer had in it, that's my data! and 15w40 is widely available everywhere, all manuals that i know of state the above weight, Anyway, Ill use recommended fluid.
Yes, actually. I’m trained on and have built Cat, Cummins and Detroit as well as fleet repair on Paccar. Haven’t had the opportunity to build a Paccar yet. I have also built Kubota and Deere engines.

Every Deere subcompact and compact specs 15w40 to this day as their preferred oil in nearly every climate as far as I know. Those are Yanmar engines up to at least the 3 series and maybe 4 series. I’d also be willing to bet that the truck APU industry is nearly all on 15w40 and that’s where you’ll find the vast majority of 2 and 3 cylinder diesels running hours on end.

OP is welcome to use his recommended oil however it will absolutely be fine to use his Rotella x40 options.

Back